Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?

Go down 
+4
AussieQ
entwistlea
TINMAN
MNC
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MNC
Been here a while
Been here a while
MNC

Number of posts : 120
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : 1997 SCG 3LDT KZH100G
Registration date : 2009-09-21

Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Empty
PostSubject: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:00 am

hey team,
im thinking of mounting some low spotlights maybe under the rear bar somewhere to help see when reversing at night. the reason being is that my tints are 5% so prove to be difficult to see at night. anyone done this?

will be just some lowkey led lights like these.
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 129248876_full
Back to top Go down
TINMAN
Been here a while
Been here a while
TINMAN

Number of posts : 189
Home City : Springside ~~~ QLD.~~AUSTRALIA
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM HIACE 2000 AWD
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:23 am

Hello Lonnie Very Happy sounds like a very good thought let us know how you go?? pirat I also have some trouble here during winter have to get out between two trees then another two trees pale i put some solar garden small lights there but with winter and not much sun they are out by the time i have to get out!! Wink
Winter is on the way out here and will be sun up before i have to go but yes a bugger to see behind!!( should just stay inbed until the sun is out of bed also!!) lol! lol!
MERV~~~
Back to top Go down
MNC
Been here a while
Been here a while
MNC

Number of posts : 120
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : 1997 SCG 3LDT KZH100G
Registration date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:55 am

haha hey Merv, yeah man, ill let ya know how i go, ill take heaps of pics of the process and difference and post it up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
entwistlea
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
entwistlea

Number of posts : 324
Home City : Sandhurst, UK
Model and year : 1996 Super Custom Ltd. 3.0 TDI EFI
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 4:44 pm

looks like a good idea, like to see it when done too
Back to top Go down
http://www.hpi.co.uk
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 11:03 pm

I whacked in a gps/reversing camera doover and it's great in good light but dodgy in dark. The camera had little lights in it but the little shites seem to have lost their get up and go so I'd like to hear how it goes as well.
It's a bugger trying to hook up to golf cart at 5 AM in winter Sad

@ Merv I've got a chain saw you can have a lend of Smile
Back to top Go down
TSN.OOZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
TSN.OOZ

Number of posts : 106
Home City : East Corrimal
Model and year : '95 Super Custom Limited AWD 3L TD
Registration date : 2009-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 12:56 pm

I had 2 on the old kombi (Not LED's)....Awesome reversing back out of narrow tracks at night...And they quieten down the tailgating high beamers too!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Scrotes
Not so new now
Not so new now
Scrotes

Number of posts : 24
Home City : Wellington. NZ.
Model and year : 1994 SC 3.0 TD 4WD. -most useful vehicle I've ever owned. Should have bought one years ago!
Registration date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 am

How'd folks, here's a reversing light mod I did on mine.

I used a relay set up to automatically bring on a reversing spot if you have the lights on when you select reverse. No faffing about with spotlight switches, and it doesn't come on in the day when you don't have you're lights on.

Works really well, especially in the boonies when you want to see where you're backing into in the dark.

I used a supply from the tail light to power the spot and the relay is activated by a supply from the reversing light.

Here's a picture of the circuit diagram.

Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 1_wiri10

1. To get the top panel out of the back on the RH side, pull back the door rubbers on the tail gate and drivers door.
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 2_uppe10

2. Pull the ashtrays out and remove the screws from the retaining brackets -careful not to drop the screws down into the panel -they're a pain in the a#se to get out.
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 3_pane10

3. Lever the panel up and away from the window.
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 4_pane10

4. Remove the rear lower panel by taking out the four fixing screws across the top and lever it out.
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 5_pane10

5. Mount the reversing spot where you want it. You'll want something fairly robust and water proof as it'll catch all sorts of crud. Hella do a pretty good 55W Work spotlight for mounting on the back of a ute.
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 6_ligh10

6. Run the leads from the spot across to the right and through the hole at the bottom of the rear quarter panel, and up into the quarter panel.
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 7_ligh10

7. Run the supply for the spot from the R rear tail light. Use an in line fuse (5A) so if the spot gets a short it's not going to take out your tail lights. Run this through to the rear quarter panel for connection to the relay (30).
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 8_tail10

8. Run the control for the relay from the reversing light. You can tap into this in the top R corner of the tailgate. Pull back the rubber boot, it's the red wire with the yellow stripe. Run the lead down into the rear quarter panel to the relay (86).
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 9_reve10

9. Make an earth point on the rib inside the rear quarter panel for the negative of the spotlight and the negative of the relay control (85).
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 10_ear10

10. Connect the leads to the relay as per the wiring diagram and mount onto the rib.
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 12_rel10

11. Put it all back together without having any screws left over and Voila!, thou shalt have light when it's pitch black and pi#sing with rain!
Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? 14_voi10

Happy Trails. Greg. cheers
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 am

Nice write up Greg. You wouldn't happen to be a sparky by any chance? Wink
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 3:28 pm

great thanks for the how to greg Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Next time you are over the ditch, a little bit of help with a few things would be good  Smile  
Good job mate 
Back to top Go down
Scrotes
Not so new now
Not so new now
Scrotes

Number of posts : 24
Home City : Wellington. NZ.
Model and year : 1994 SC 3.0 TD 4WD. -most useful vehicle I've ever owned. Should have bought one years ago!
Registration date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 10:16 pm

No worries. Thanks to the Royal NZ Navy for the training -ex weapons systems technician. I've also fitted a "stealth" kick butt sound system with the amps fitted to the floor in the space underneath the rear seats. -but thats a whole other story...

Next time I'm over the ditch I'll look you guys up for a beer.
Smile
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Allways a homebrew in the keg Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?   Rear mounted spot lights for reversing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear mounted spot lights for reversing?
Page 1 of 1