Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spot lights still not working

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Spot lights still not working Empty
PostSubject: Spot lights still not working   Spot lights still not working Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:21 am

Hi all,

when I originally got the van, I tested the spotlights and they were working. A bit later on, I went to switch them on again, but this time neither one came on.

I am assuming that the switch on the dash marked with a lamp is the switch for these lights...

Last night I managed to get the fuse cover off (I swear you have to be an anorexic contortionist to get be able to get in under there and I'm quite slim as well!!) and I checked the 15A fuse marked FOG and eventually after I worked out how to remove it, the "FOG" relay. I swapped over an identical fuse/relay, but still no success. The original fuse seems to be ok.

I put a multimeter onto each of the 4 contacts where the relay slides on. The top one gave about 12.6V whether the switch on the dash was in the on or off position. The other 3 contacts read 0V.

I inspected the wiring going into the lights and there didn't appear to be anything loose.

Do the normal headlights need to be in a particular position for the spotlights to work?? There appears to be 3 positions when you turn on the headlights : parking lights only, headlights & parking lights and lastly both lights, but only when key is in ignition position, maybe a safeguard against leaving them on when exiting the vehicle??

Any ideas on how to get my spotlights working? I haven't checked the bulbs in the spotties yet as I thought it would be highly unlikely both would have gone at the same time? May be the next thing to do...

cheers,

Werner
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Spot lights still not working   Spot lights still not working Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 9:57 am

It seems to me that there is some confusion of names and lights there. It's a bit hard to see the lights on your picture but are the spot lights you're having problems with the ones on the nudge bar? I understand fog lights (or driving lights) to be the ones low on the bumper on this forum's title picture. (can't see where your equivalent ones are).

If I'm correct in that, the spot lights are likely to be non-factory additions so the fuse and relay could be in an entirely different location to the main fuse block. They should also be wired in with the headlight high beam so that they will dip automatically with the headlights. That is, they will only operate with headlights on high beam.

The fog lights, on my model at least, require the parkers to be on. In QLD it's not legal to have headlights and fog lights on together.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Spot lights still not working   Spot lights still not working Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:33 am

Seems like I did confuse some of the terminology. I did discover that there were lights to the "inside" of the headlights which, by having read another post on this forum, I presume are the fog lights. Having said that, they don't appear to function either, whatever the position of the light stalk.

Will have to do some more investigative work and maybe post some pics to clarify my setup.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Spot lights still not working   Spot lights still not working Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 am

Good luck! It's a pity everything is so hard to get to.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Spot lights still not working   Spot lights still not working Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 9:01 am

You've turned the secondary inner wheel mounted on the stalk??
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Spot lights still not working   Spot lights still not working Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi Chris,

you're a legend!! Very Happy

I must have forgotten about the inner wheel or wasn't aware of it.

I just had a look and had a play and managed to get the spotlights as well as the fog lights to work cheers

That's made my day Very Happy

Cheers,

Werner
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spot lights still not working   Spot lights still not working Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spot lights still not working
Page 1 of 1