Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel milage

Go down 
+24
1KZ-TE
Dale
mr freeze
AussieQ
popoyn
Bobby Dazzler
BreadBin
Abaddon
Robbo
sonicthebadger
doofvan
Big Lloyd
alfazar
pushrod
jimsmim
johnny
moogdrew
kylenorth18
skyking
Spud_Gun
maximus
kev
Admin
zoochy
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Fuel milage - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2018 11:28 am

I've no idea why 5w30 stops there, it could be a drawing style, maybe more research is needed.
ETA:
http://oil4motor.com/en/cars-oil/TOYOTA/Hi-Ace-Regius-(1KZ-TE)-(D---Diesel)-(1995-)/14251

You could start with 0w40 as that should be safe under all conditions. I've used that in a lot of engines.

I didn't spot the roofrack and spots. They are great at soaking up a lot of fuel.
https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/26048/how-much-do-roof-racks-hurt-gas-mileage#26049

Awning shouldn't make much difference as it goes lengthways.

Super-diesel is good stuff but expensive, try a tank and see if you get more miles / £ from that, I have heard some supermarket stuff hasn't got as much energy in it.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2018 1:13 pm

@Andonic
On the 5W-30 thing. Oils have changed a lot in the 20 years since the spec was written.

If you look at just the 'hot' grade the chart notes that 30 is correct right up through the temp scale. The hot rating is the grade that applies at engine operating temperature and if your cooling system is working correctly the ambient climate temperature won't change that operating temperature. So given the 30 is correct then the cold rating is the critical one for your climate to ensure oil flow at start and warm up.

So any xW-30 is suitable so long as it's diesel rated CF, CF-4 or better. (CJ-4, CI-4, CH-4 are all current ones I think)

It just so happens these days high quality synthetic 5-30, 0-30 and 0-40 are available for great prices and they are maintaining their properties for even longer service life.

Last edited by Pete_nz on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Andonic
Just noticed from your post in the Shocks thread that you have the 1991 3L motor which I'm thinking is the "3L" 2.8Liter non turbo. If that's the case it may pay to check the spec on that motor. I know some guys even run up to a 50 grade in that engine but it could well be that 30 is fine. That chart I posted is for the 3 liter 1KZ-TE.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2018 9:16 pm

Andonic
Here's your 3L Service manual. Page 132 has oil spec.

http://www.4x4brasil.com.br/forum/attachments/frota-4x4-brasil/511949d1442407654-hilux-sr5-2-8d-sonho-realizado-2lt_3l_engine_repair_manual_supplement.pdf
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2018 9:19 pm

And the relevant oil chart. Note the older API of CC, CD - highlighting the age and development of wherewe're up to with present day oils.
Fuel milage - Page 4 Img_6910
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 pm

Interesting the range of *-30 oil.

Straight 30 is very stable: Lawnmower oil!
Maybe 5W30 used to degrade with temperature back then? They have dotted the lines but it does seem quite different from the straight 30 that basically says 'any heat'!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel milage   Fuel milage - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel milage
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4