Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel consumption

Go down 
+9
chrisandhiace
alfazar
philmel
Robbo
anthonyj
Clive
maximus
ruffnut
desnpam
13 posters
AuthorMessage
desnpam

Number of posts : 2
Model and year : G 4x4 1998
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 3:36 am

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum but have owned my 98 Super Custom G 4x4 Auto for about one year. The van goes great except for overheating on hot days on long uphill climbs. The issue we have is with fuel economy. We're getting around 17 liters per 100 K. Thats a range of about 360 K per tank. Is this usual or is there something wrong? Look forward toy your replies.
Des
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:23 am

hi des and welcome to the forum. No that is not normal i am getting around 650 - 700 km's per tank i have a 3.0l 96 2wd

cheers dave
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:27 am

christ on a bike ruffnut,you must have feather slippers and a right leg made from fresh air to be getting those figures Smile .does the bodykit in your avatar act as a large sail? Razz best ive ever managed was 500klms(2wd 2.4td),happy to get just over 420 if ive been in a jovial mood but have had it the 300 mark when feeling giddy.for the record right leg made from mahogany,chainmail socks with lead boots. geek
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:57 am

I get 600 ish on diesel, 700 on used veg oil.
3.0 litr 94 2WD
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:43 am

no just a lot of country driving around town average 450klms
oh the avatar is a plastic model that i built
Back to top Go down
anthonyj
Not so new now
Not so new now
anthonyj

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Nottingham UK
Model and year : SC cruising cabin 1997
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 12:24 pm

I think it sounds a bit light - I am getting 24 miles per gallon out of my 97 4wd auto 3.0TD supercustom camper. I make that about 11.5 liters per 100km unless my maths is suspect!!

My figures are for crusiing - a bit less round the town

No problems with overheating either even in Snowdonia fully laden.

Di Bingles likes this post

Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 1:07 pm

4x4 is more thirsty than the 2wd too. Our 3.0lt 2wd is about 450 round town, better on highway, not a lot better though if doing 110, but if doing 100 or less it's good. I'd imagine 140 would be an expensive cruising speed, but the van would do it easy though.

I'm looking into diesel gas conversion to help with highway economy of which will become very important soon.
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Number of posts : 19
Home City : hayling island
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 7:45 am

Shocked Diesel gas conversion -I did not know that was possible. Where do you get the info?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 7:54 am

Google it

I think there are several places around the UK. It is expensive unless you are going to do loads of miles to get the payback.
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 11:05 am

Anyone tried a little drop of acetone in the diesel?
I've read a bit about it somewhere but haven't tried it.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am

1991 2.8 4x4
I get around 18.5 mpg UK for short winter journeys under 4 mile
Flat out on motorway blasts around 21 mpg
Long cruises upto 26.5mpg

Additives...
'Millers' is a good reliable staple
'Greased lightning' really gave a noticable boost in responsiveness...but once I went back to another brand it lost the edge. (wonder if the ptfe was stripped/cleaned off by the other brand?)
Couple of years back found that as little as a litre per tank of veg oil with a tablespoon of white spirit really smoothed out / upgraded performance nicely....smelt like a chip shop being decorated though.
Never tried acetone but have read of otheres using...what worries me is there's plenty of rubber (type) seals in an engine...some things (ie white spirit) will attack rubber...do'nt know if acetone does or not............
Back to top Go down
want33s
Not so new now
Not so new now
want33s

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Sunshine Coast. Queensland Australia
Model and year : LH107... 1989 4x4
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 pm

alfazar wrote:
Anyone tried a little drop of acetone in the diesel?
I've read a bit about it somewhere but haven't tried it.
Never heard of or tried acetone in diesel but I have tried Napthalene (Moth Balls) and it works quite well.
Don't use any more than 2 or 3 per tank though!
Jas.
Back to top Go down
desnpam

Number of posts : 2
Model and year : G 4x4 1998
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks for all the info and replies. I'll be looking for another diesel mechanic to fiddle with my 4x4.
Des
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 4:34 am

philmel wrote:
Shocked Diesel gas conversion -I did not know that was possible. Where do you get the info?

There's a good one here in Australia for me to try. Be looking into a quote soon.

http://www.dieselgas.com.au/home.htm

They're near us which is handy, and when we move up the coast in about 2 years, there's also a branch up there Very Happy .

Up to 20% more power by adding some LPG to the air intake just before the turbo.
It also can extend the oil change period due to it running cleaner, burning more efficiently.

I'm looking at getting a new exhaust at the same time, but only a maximum of 15% gas charge. Don't so much care about power as it has plenty, but I want it as efficient as possible at 110KPH on the motorway with the long drives we will be doing, sometimes pulling a trailer too.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 9:23 am

I've used acetone to thin veg oil, not heard of adding it to neat diesel.

In fact I've used most thinning agents with veg oil, the best was used fluid from a photocopier (acetone base?), that source dried up when the copiers were changed for laser ones.
Back to top Go down
cjhhtml
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 8:48 pm

my ride 1998 S.C,
3.0 1kz,auto,
run about 5 km per 1 litter diesel,
in town run.
is it normal ?

i feel that my ride very hungry.!!!!!

compare to my other diesel ride,
Isuzu ROdeo ,
2.8 4 JB1 turbo engine,
manual,
run about 10 km per 1 litter diesel,

Nissan navara,
2.5 ,turbo,manual,
run about 10.5 km per litter diesel.

what the problem make my ride so hungry ?
Back to top Go down
cjhhtml
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 pm

my ride is 1998 S.C,
3.0 2wd 1 kz,auto.
run about 5 km per liter diesel in town run,
i feel that my ride so hungry....!!!!!!!

what problem is this ?

compare to my other diesel ride,
Isuzu Rodeo,
2.8 4JB1 turbo engine,manual,
run about 10 km per liter diesel.

nissan frontier,
2.5 turbo,manual,
run about 10.5 km per liter.
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 10:47 am

There's a fault there somewhere. No way it could use that much fuel in normal condition.

Is it maybe not warming up fully and running in cold start mode?

Or a fuel system fault. Leaking injectors etc?

Does it smoke abnormally?
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 9:55 am

I used to put moth balls in both tanks in our trucks , wasn't for power tho just to keep injector nozzles clean.

Gas looks a bit dear Robbo, but could be interesting.
This for about $1200 looks good to me as well

http://www.dpchip.com.au/

@ Clive do you process the oil? I've got a mate around the corner that makes it out of used oil and fats from chip shops etc, but his ute doesn't run all that flash. Maybe his cooking isn't up to scratch.
Back to top Go down
Di Bingles

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Dunfermline
Model and year : 1998 Super Custom - Cruising Cabin 3.0td Auto 1kzte KZH110
Registration date : 2021-05-11

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2022 5:22 pm

98 3.0td 2wd auto cruising cabin (camper) I use mine as a works vehicle driving roughly 70 miles around Edinburgh daily and average 24mpg tank after tank. Long distance, and most I have had is 29.8 mpg but that's being frugal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel consumption Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel consumption   Fuel consumption Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel consumption
Page 1 of 1