Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel Consumption & other questions

Go down 
+4
Andonic
siringo
MalL
Gissit
8 posters
AuthorMessage
siringo

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2020-10-14

Fuel Consumption & other questions Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 12:02 am

I'm new around here, I hope I've put this in the correct place??

I'm looking at getting a Commuter and setting it up for camping.

I'm hoping that folks here may be able to help me out with some fuel consumption figures for both the 2.7 litre auto and 3 litre turbo. I know fuel consumption depends on lots of things, but whatever figures you have I'll be keen to hear them.

Generally, is the 3 litre turbo diesel better on fuel than the 2.7 litre petrol?

And what's the auto like that they put behind the 2.7 litre motor? Is it reliable?

Thanks for any help.
Matt.
Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Gloucester
Model and year : 4X4 LH119 3L Engine
Registration date : 2020-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 10:48 pm

Hi
I run a 2.8 normally aspirated and the fuel consumption is not great. It is an auto 4X4 but it only returns around 30mpg generally. I have just done a full top end rebuild and will be interested to see if this has helped but I doubt it will make much difference.

siringo likes this post

Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 11:47 pm

Mine is non-turbo diesel 2.8 litre auto. Average fuel consumption is 11.5 l/100km.
I don't know Hiace figures but a few years ago I had a petrol Pajero (3.5L ?) then changed to turbo diesel Prado (3.0 L) . The Prado gave me a 30% improvement in fuel consumption.

siringo likes this post

Back to top Go down
siringo

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2020-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 11:50 pm

Thanks for replies guys, I appreciate the help.

MalL likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2020 3:47 pm

30 mpg sounds like a dream to me. 11.5 litres per 100km is around 20 mpg. On my 3l diesel engine (2.8 litres, automatic) I was averaging around 20mpg perhaps 22 on a long motorway trip. However having changed my mud tires for road tyres that has gone up to averaging around 23 mpg with as good as 28 on a long motorway trip.
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2020 5:24 pm

Can report about the same here. With 235/75-15 all-terrain tires on my 2.8 3L, I am averaging 20 miles per US gallon, or 24 miles per Imperial gallon in mixed city/highway driving (1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons). For purely highway driving, I get 22 US/26 Imp.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2020 3:35 pm

My 3ltr 1kzte does about the same 28mpg at best, however I use WVO blend about 90% to10% petrol buying WVO from local Indian takeaway for 20p ltr so it works out at 25p ltr , allowing for a small loss of power it should be equivalent to 120 mpg. After 2 years no ill effects yet, there was a few problems at first notably blocked in tank strainer nothing to do with veg oil just 20 years of trash, small problem with fuel starvation cured by adding an electric lift pump to push oil through the flat plate heater and fuel filter, also had to pull the injector pump which had blocked filters again not due to veg oil. All in all worthwhile if you are mechanically inclined and best of all its legal in the UK, I treat it as an hobby to stop me getting bored, buy the way I am 72 and just returned to working full time.
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 12:51 am

20-22 is the best case for the old 2.8 3L.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
thompsono

Number of posts : 7
Home City : oakland, california
Model and year : 1992 Hiace Super GL (JDM / 4x4 / RH Drive)
Registration date : 2019-07-03

PostSubject: 1992 LH119 4wd in US   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 2:24 am

I haven’t seen much better than 20 mpg here. Mine has 200 k on the odometer. I did start to use a diesel additive / cleaner after reading the threads here so hope to see a tad better.
Back to top Go down
http://sweetmarias.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Consumption & other questions   Fuel Consumption & other questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel Consumption & other questions
Page 1 of 1