Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model

Go down 
+2
AussieQ
barra
6 posters
AuthorMessage
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-04-22

less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Empty
PostSubject: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi, after some extensive cleaning and replacement of parts in the automatic gear box I am shocked to find the car much less responsive than before and can almost see the fuel gauge go down when I accelerate! Sure, its a big heavy vehicle and we know that its slow but not to this extent, it never was before. It struggles up hill and my foot is flat down on the floor. No probs with the gear changes, any suggestions why so much power loss? confused
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 8:10 pm

CAn't help I'm afraid but sure as hell interested in why..Just had ours seviced (auto that is) and changes much smoother. Bloke says that they are pretty bulletproof as far as gearboxes go.
Back to top Go down
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 am

I have had loads of gearbox problems but never had the car go so sluggishly before, was quite zippy and never used so much fuel. The car just wouldnt move at all when it had the gearbox probs!
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Not further down the drive train is it ?
Back to top Go down
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 12:28 pm

what do you mean? engine probs or the other end! Just wondering if anyone else is loosing power like this.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Diffs, wheel bearings etc. Or have you changed the air and fuel filter. I'd start with fuel because it would cause drop in power.
Seems funny that the g'box would cause loss of power.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 am

What did you REPLACE?
Sounds like something is binding.
These Autoboxes are usually reliable - the only adjustment needed being the kick-down cable.
Having done some Silly engineering procedures myself (unintentional) look at the transfer box - is the 4WD on? Are the hubs locked?Have you used Dextron II or III ATF?Did you seperate the box from the engine i.e. the Torque converter might be U/S. Is the fluid level correct with the engine running?
Is the engine running OK with box in N or P?
Daft questions I know but us Brits are good at 'em, and fouling up bigtime despite being 'experts' is our national pastime.
Its going to be something simple (and cheap to fix I hope)
Back to top Go down
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 pm

I intend changing the filters and have verified the levels of the fluid level when hot ok. The repairs in the autobox were a blocked valve and a good pressure clean and the gaskets were replaced, dextron 2 used. I don't think that the box was separated from the engine, what does U/S mean? Engine runs fine in N or P except for exhaust noise as it is very rusty. Christ I haven't thought about checking the 4wd! this would explain everything, but there is no light on, I'm not sure about how to check the hubs. I doubt whether the problem is the diffs, wheel bearings etc as the car was ok before the transmission work was done. What is the kick down cable and what effect does it have? My mechanic is Chechen so I find it very difficult to explain things to him but if I have a specific problem then he can sort it. Thanks for the help so far
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:49 pm

The Kick-down cable is attached to the throttle control. When the throttle/accelerator is fully open, there should be 1mm between the end of the red rubber sheath on the end of the cable and the metal ferule that is crimped onto the kick-down cable. Too large a distance and it will prematurely change down or hold the gear.More revs before changing up. Too small an adjustment means you don't get the quick change down e.g. if you want more speed/acceleration to overtake.

U/S = military speak for unserviceable i.e. knackered or not working.

The Front hubs can be locked on the 4WD by rotating the red centre hub on the front axle. There is a LOCK and FREE position on the hub.Take a look.
DONT USE LOCKED HUBS WITH THE 4WD on ON FIRM SURFACES. Soft / Slippery terrain only!!!! The hubs can be LOCKed without 4WD but you will use more fuel putting energy through the Transfer Box.

When you say 'Foot to the floor going up hills' I wonder if the Kick-Down cable has become unattached at the gearbox end, when the filter was cleaned. You would be trying to get uphill in 3rd or OD if the Kick- Down is not connected.1st & 2nd gears are pretty low and give reasonable acceleration but 3rd & OD are a different matter!
You will find the kick-down cable adjacent to the inlet manifold, fixed with 12mm bolts. It is also attached to the quadrant at the bottom of the throttle actuator. Adjustment is with a 14mm open-ended spanner. Turn the nuts clock-wise to slacken the cable, anticlockwise to tighten the cable. Two nuts hold the cable in place. If is it LOOSE i.e. loads of play -it might be broken or unattached. If it is broken or unattached you will need to take the auto sump off to re-attach/replace.

PS Check my posting re 4WD checking in the FIX ITS
Back to top Go down
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 pm

ok, there's alot that needs checking out here qnd not much that a non mechanic like me can do except for filters and 4wd. I would be really surprised if the kick down cable was ignored by my mechanic but I should really like to check this out. The issue is that I put my foot down hard to accelerate and the gears change when the rev counter reaches about 3 (as before) no problem but the whole process is laborious and obviously using much more fuel. It is true that the car doesnt change down into 2nd up the hill, but rather goes slower and slower, so this does seem to point to the kick down cable. I hope we are not talking about a torque converter problem but it did cross my mind. Any chance of a photo to locate the kick down cable to check it? Any idea how much an exhaust costs on this vehicle? would holes in it cause loss of power?
Back to top Go down
BreadBin

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 12:33 pm

Where are the holes in the exhaust? Holes before the turbo won't help...
Back to top Go down
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 6:26 pm

The whole exhaust is very rusty and needs replacing, er... didn't know it had a turbo, at the beginning of the exhaust there is a sort of mesh bit, apparantly this should be replaced and the big exhaust box. When I start the car there is a great wheezy puffing noise coming from under the car, under the drivers (right hand) side door??? This then is less obvious when the engine heats up.
Back to top Go down
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 6:27 pm

The whole exhaust is very rusty and needs replacing, er... didn't know it had a turbo, at the beginning of the exhaust there is a sort of mesh bit, apparantly this should be replaced and the big exhaust box. When I start the car there is a great wheezy puffing noise coming from under the car, under the drivers (right hand) side door??? This then is less obvious when the engine heats up.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 pm

If your hiace is a 2.8ltr 3L engine it does not have a Turbo- the mesh near the drivers door is a flexible exhaust joint. If it is leaking it will be les apparent when the exhaust gets hot.
Back to top Go down
Vulcan558
Not so new now
Not so new now
Vulcan558

Number of posts : 39
Home City : Chesterfield
Model and year : Super Custom Limited - 1994
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:53 pm

I have the same speed problem with my 2.8 auto, which I have just bought. No matter what it will not go over 63mph, anywhere, anytime. Feels like it is governed. Can it be? Had gearbox checked and they say all OK and not governed there. No governor on engine so my local garage says. Any ideas. It is very slow on uptake in top gear. I get 22 mpg, but I am told this is about right for 2 and half ton!
Back to top Go down
http://www.watchtower.wetpaint.com
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 2:20 pm

On the 4wd I'd mark the prop going to the front wheels..drive forward a bit and make sure it has'nt turned. About 63mph is what you'd get if the transfer box is engaged (hubs unlocked)...+ some superfluous noise....the transfer box can get stuck on if not exercised regularly...as I discovered recently.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 pm

My bus started to lose power recently- tried the usual suspects - filters etc and found ultimately that two of my injectors were sticking.
Took them for a spray test at my friendly diesel engineers and the problem was obvious. Apart from a loss of power on a local hill route (which is my bench mark testing area), there was a lot of smoke on acceleration, high fuel consumption and a feeling " of being governed".
After refitting the power difference was palpable, the tickover needed reducing and in Drive, I needed another notch on the hand brake to stop it rolling forward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model   less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

less power more fuel consumption in 2.8 3L auto diesel model
Page 1 of 1