Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

3L engine Fuel Consumption

Go down 
+2
chrisandhiace
moogdrew
6 posters
AuthorMessage
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

Number of posts : 62
Home City : Melksham
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom Limited 2.8D (LH107)
Registration date : 2007-02-17

3L engine Fuel Consumption Empty
PostSubject: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi All - Just wondering what average fuel consumption everyone else is getting with a 3L 2.8 litre (non turbo) diesel engine from around 1993?

Mine averages about 22 miles to the gallon (4.5 litres) - it seems a bit low to me but i think i've tried all the obvious things - New fuel filter, new air filter, good oil, new gearbox oil and regular doses of fuel system cleaner (the decent expesive ones not the ones made of kerosene!).

It seems to run sweet with no smell and no black smoke (do get a little chuff when towing a caravan up a steep hill but nothing otherwise).

The only other thing i can think of is the injectors (its done 100,000 miles) but surely they would cause it to smoke if they were dud?

Any sugestions of other things to try or reassurance that they are supposed to drink like a fish will be very welcome.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 11:57 pm

2.8....around 18mpg on very short winter journeys where the thermostat does'nt even get open....up to a max of 26.5mpg on long easy motorway runs.
Essentially averaging out the same as yours. They are heavy vans and built like a brick...the faster you go the more wind resistance etc...they also use a lot of juice when idling.
Injector cleaner can help up to 1mpg if thats any consolation...but stick to the same brand / formulation. Something like greased lightening (ptfe) is good...but if you then switch to Millers etc. it seems to clean out the ptfe.
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

Number of posts : 101
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 1:19 am

On mostly flat paved roads at sea level, at an air temperature of about 10 degrees celsius, at 80 km per hour, driving 15 kms at a time twice a day, I have achieved just under 28 MPG or about 10km per liter (if my math is accurate).

Recently I`ve changed all the fluids,t-belt ect and had the rad re-cored and am watching the OD. I`ll post here in about a week.

Does anyone know the size of the fuel tank and how many liters/gallons are left when the light goes on?

Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 1:55 am

Fuel light?...I think around 10 ltrs guaranteed on mine...(its a 75 lt tank in total)
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 3:14 am

Concur with chrisandhiace on the figures.
My consumption is consistantly 12l/100km = 23.5 Imp MPG. This is at 100kph highway driving.
The vehicle is '91 model, was imported from Japan with allegedly 65,000km on the clock It now has 75,000km. After a few thousand kms of this driving fuel consumption, top speed and hill climbing ability all improved around 8%. I suspect it had probably been used on shorter low speed runs in it's former life.

For comparison my Prado with 3.0litre turbo diesel, similar weight vehicle, gets 11l/100km average on all types of on road driving.
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

Number of posts : 62
Home City : Melksham
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom Limited 2.8D (LH107)
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for the advice - i think from that mine sounds pretty average (I dont do much motorway driving, mostly lanes, towns, villiges and salibury plain tracks!), i don't think i need to fiddle any more! - might try the ptfe fuel cleaner though - don't think I've tried one with that in yet.

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 10:36 am

I was looking for this thread ...I started a new one yesterday 'cause i couldn't find this. So I'll just copy and post here what I wrote in general section of this forum

just ran down the tank to almost when the warning light goes on after filling it last time.

Put in 56.2 L of low sulfur diesel at 1.33 CAD
581 Km on tripometer

This equals 10.33 kpl or 29.14 mpg, which is better than I thought. Keeping in mind this is with an almost empty van traveling at 80 km/hr on almost flat paved roads, I'm quite impressed.

sorry about the double post..almost!
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 2:23 pm

To slow, the slush box eats it...to fast, it eats to fight the wind......you seem to have got it just right Wink
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 10:18 am

I notice the motor is very quiet at 80 KPH. The rig seems seems to naturally cruise up to about this speed . It's around 2400 RPM.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

I think some of that is to do with vacuum in the ar intake....ie: slowly increase revs when stationary..and around 2000rpm + it goes deathly quiet at the air intake within a certain range...must be the sweet spot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 am

I get about 9 L/100km here with my LH125 (Manual Commuter) campervan.
with the 75litre tank I get about 800Km to a tank before it dies from fuel starvation.......I usually refuel at 650Km.
Back to top Go down
icecreamguru

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Australia
Registration date : 2010-10-08

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 am

In my 2.8L diesel SuperCustom I get about 12 L/100km - but when it's full (people + luggage) it's up to 14 L
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

Number of posts : 57
Home City : North America
Model and year : 1992 3L
Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 10:26 pm

When driving city and highway 100km/h I am getting 21mpg to 23 mpg.
I once drove 80km/h highway and got 46km per gallon, which ends up being 29mpg. I was very happy about that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3L engine Fuel Consumption   3L engine Fuel Consumption Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3L engine Fuel Consumption
Page 1 of 1