Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
maclaren65
maclaren65

Number of posts : 16
Home City : Mountain View, CA
Model and year : 1995 HiAce Super Custom 4WD
Registration date : 2021-09-26

New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Empty
PostSubject: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2021 2:46 am

Hi All,

I purchased a 1995 HiAce Super Custom 4WD last weekend from a local JDM importer. So far I am very pleased with the van. The next step is to get the VIN verified at the CHP and complete the registration process at the DMV. Wish me smooth sailing. Smile

Here are a few photos. We're still considering names for the van.

New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 GTCQgoEqDXrMW7b28
 New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Uobae1XvCCM8EPSBA
Back to top Go down
jenvinh

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Los Angeles
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom
Registration date : 2021-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2021 6:22 pm

Were you able to register your Hiace? If so, could you help me with the steps you went through?
Back to top Go down
maclaren65
maclaren65

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 8:37 pm

@jenvinh, Yes, I am happy to share my experience so far. Here are the steps I followed.

1] Called the CHP and made an appointment to have the VIN verified. The CHP said the DMV should be able to complete this step. The DMV thought otherwise (see step 2).

2] October 15 / I went to the DMV (as a walk-in) and asked for the forms for registering a vehicle. I did mention that it was imported. I showed the import paperwork, bill of sale, and proof of insurance for my HiAce.

They gave me the forms and sent me outside to the inspection line to have the vehicle reviewed. The inspector looked at the HiAce and said he could not verify the VIN and that CHP had to do that. He gave me a form, signed it, and told me to give it to the CHP. I went back inside the DMV and filled out the forms, and then waited to get the forms processed.

When I arrived at the window, I told the clerk I was registering an imported vehicle. She seemed a little stressed. I don't think most DMV clerks have experience doing this. She needed to consult with her manager at many points of this process. She asked me what type of vehicle it was. I told her it is a family passenger van that is not sold in the USA. It is a minivan like the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, etc. Do not let the DMV classify the HiAce as a truck, because this will lead to extra steps that are not required. It is a passenger vehicle and is not for commercial use. We completed most of the forms and I paid the registration fees and taxes. The clerk gave me a red, temporary permit that I displayed in the right front windshield of my HiAce. It was set to expire in mid-December.

3] November 4 / A few weeks later, I went to the CHP for my pre-scheduled appointment. The officer was very nice. He checked the VIN in the engine compartment and filled out a form he had from his office. He disregarded the form the DMV inspector gave me. He said it was obsolete.

4] I immediately drove to the DMV as a walk-in and waited to talk to a clerk. I met with a different clerk who seemed like a new employee! =Surprised She didn't know what to do. Her manager (the same manager from step 2) came over to assist. She eventually asked me to go to another window and we finished the paperwork. She made photocopies of all the paperwork (my vehicle paperwork from my importer and the DMV forms). She gave me the copies and said she would send the originals to Sacramento and that they would be checked there and I should receive the license plates in a few months. The manager gave me another red, temporary permit (it expires at the end of March) that I display in the right front windshield again.

After each step at the DMV was complete, I told each person that I would leave a positive review about my experience. There is a form at each clerk's window for this and it can be submitted online too. I thanked them at each step and mentioned that can imagine this is not a common scenario and I appreciated how they made it go smoothly.

I hope this helps others get their HiAce registered in California. The key is to have all the proper paperwork and evidence that your HiAce meets the Federal and State requirements for registration. Also smiling a lot and being polite go a long way. Smile

ruffnut likes this post

Back to top Go down
jenvinh

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 9:50 pm

This is super helpful!! Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Hello    New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2021 1:32 pm

maclaren65 wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a 1995 HiAce Super Custom 4WD last weekend from a local JDM importer. So far I am very pleased with the van. The next step is to get the VIN verified at the CHP and complete the registration process at the DMV. Wish me smooth sailing. Smile

Here are a few photos. We're still considering names for the van.

New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 GTCQgoEqDXrMW7b28
 New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Uobae1XvCCM8EPSBA

Hello and welcome to the party. It might be me but I can't see the images from the post, but in my reply I can see the links. In these, the van is beautiful! It might take a few posts before you get the ability to post more complex messages.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
maclaren65
maclaren65

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2021 8:42 pm

@LH119V Thank you for the warm welcome! Yeah, I am not sure why I can't share photos. Maybe I am too new. cheers

I am still early in my journey to learn about the amazing HiAce platform. I really enjoy my 1995 HiAce Super Custom 4WD. It reminds me of the '87 VW Vanagon I owned, but so much better! I love the front seating position above the front wheels. The sweet little 1KZ-TE turbo diesel is a charm of an engine that has a great combination of power and torque to keep up with modern vehicles in traffic and on the hills. It's still a momentum vehicle, but with proper planning (looking ahead down the road) it does just fine. Way better than my Vanagon. And I don't worry about it catching on fire! Very Happy It has real HVAC too.

I need to do full-service maintenance (timing belt, all fluids, etc.) to reset the maintenance baseline, including updating the shocks and springs. I am looking for a shop to help out with these jobs, as I am not ready to take them on at this time. Feel free to share any suggestions. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2021 10:37 pm

No problem.

I think "the administrator" has to grant you additional access rights so that you have greater ability and flexibility to post, such as link to hosted pictures, web links, etc. It might be that this comes after making a few more posts. I don't know, I'm just a user here. Also, the 'forumotion' forum-hosting webcode doesn't seem that compex, but it works.

I've only owned my van since April this year and it's undergoing a 30 year refreah to try to ensure an ongoing fun experience rather than ity-bity work here and there that never gets done. It's quite hard work but I promised myself it'd be mostly my work.

The van is on four axle stands and parts are getting refreshed and improved as they come off. Storage alone of these bits is not trivial! The plan is not to made a different vehicle but to fix everything that was wrong / not working / old and tired (or rusty) or lacking service and improve as much as necessary including audio, lighting, cruise control, various engine bits and some modernisation to the camper elements.

On servicing, vehicle understnnding etc I've found my Toyota dealership very helpful. Parts are not always cheapest there but I've been impressed with their help and patience. I've got a good relationship with thier parts dept. A little money spent with them has paid dividents when I can't find assistance elsewhere.

There are plenty of great manuals online and check out my forum posts here; not too hard I think. As an opener seach for https://www.hiacesoutheast.com/ as there are some of the best electical manuals and general ones for body, engines etc.

For parts I was surprised how good Toyota are. If you are careful then 'autodoc' is good this side of the pond, but you might have something closely related. It's useful to cross-reference OEM codes there. Then there are several online parts resources. The best one I've found is at https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/, but this is for my van, you'll need to edit the 'frame code' / VIN for yours. If it gives an accurate return then you are well away. My van is needing quite a few bits; it's been a bit neglected other than routine work so I'm having to delve quite far. Anyway hope these are useful starters.

Finally there are several members here offering manuals etc. Folk have been kind enough to PM these to me but you need to hook up with people who have relevant materials so look for these based on your details.

It seems that you should have plain sailing as your van looks so mint.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
maclaren65
maclaren65

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2021 8:21 pm

@LH119V Thank you for the info and links. I found my van at https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/kzh106w/109740/?frame_no=KZH106-1014903&ref= and other info.

My HiAce is in decent condition for a 26-year-old vehicle. It has its share of patina (scratches and dents), which is expected as it is a survivor. I'd rather have it like this than in perfect condition. More scratches and dents to come. Very Happy  

Do you know where to source the plastic clips that the power curtains are attached to in a HiAce? I'd like to replace them all when I clean the curtains.

Happy Thanksgiving and Cheers!
Back to top Go down
jenvinh

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2022 7:45 pm

maclaren65 wrote:
@jenvinh, Yes, I am happy to share my experience so far. Here are the steps I followed.

1] Called the CHP and made an appointment to have the VIN verified. The CHP said the DMV should be able to complete this step. The DMV thought otherwise (see step 2).

2] October 15 / I went to the DMV (as a walk-in) and asked for the forms for registering a vehicle. I did mention that it was imported. I showed the import paperwork, bill of sale, and proof of insurance for my HiAce.

They gave me the forms and sent me outside to the inspection line to have the vehicle reviewed. The inspector looked at the HiAce and said he could not verify the VIN and that CHP had to do that. He gave me a form, signed it, and told me to give it to the CHP. I went back inside the DMV and filled out the forms, and then waited to get the forms processed.

When I arrived at the window, I told the clerk I was registering an imported vehicle. She seemed a little stressed. I don't think most DMV clerks have experience doing this. She needed to consult with her manager at many points of this process. She asked me what type of vehicle it was. I told her it is a family passenger van that is not sold in the USA. It is a minivan like the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, etc. Do not let the DMV classify the HiAce as a truck, because this will lead to extra steps that are not required. It is a passenger vehicle and is not for commercial use. We completed most of the forms and I paid the registration fees and taxes. The clerk gave me a red, temporary permit that I displayed in the right front windshield of my HiAce. It was set to expire in mid-December.

3] November 4 / A few weeks later, I went to the CHP for my pre-scheduled appointment. The officer was very nice. He checked the VIN in the engine compartment and filled out a form he had from his office. He disregarded the form the DMV inspector gave me. He said it was obsolete.

4] I immediately drove to the DMV as a walk-in and waited to talk to a clerk. I met with a different clerk who seemed like a new employee! =Surprised She didn't know what to do. Her manager (the same manager from step 2) came over to assist. She eventually asked me to go to another window and we finished the paperwork. She made photocopies of all the paperwork (my vehicle paperwork from my importer and the DMV forms). She gave me the copies and said she would send the originals to Sacramento and that they would be checked there and I should receive the license plates in a few months. The manager gave me another red, temporary permit (it expires at the end of March) that I display in the right front windshield again.

After each step at the DMV was complete, I told each person that I would leave a positive review about my experience. There is a form at each clerk's window for this and it can be submitted online too. I thanked them at each step and mentioned that can imagine this is not a common scenario and I appreciated how they made it go smoothly.

I hope this helps others get their HiAce registered in California. The key is to have all the proper paperwork and evidence that your HiAce meets the Federal and State requirements for registration. Also smiling a lot and being polite go a long way. Smile

Just one more question, which DMV did you go to?
Back to top Go down
maclaren65
maclaren65

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 8:16 pm

@jenvinh, I went to the DMV in Los Gatos and the CHP in downtown San Jose.
Back to top Go down
Kaikun

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Honolulu
Registration date : 2022-01-06

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2022 3:53 pm

This thread was very helpful for me. I’m in Hawaii and imported the vehicle myself a 1995 HiAce camper model. First clerk I dealt with “you need a Notarized Bill Of Sale from Dealer to who you bought from (wholesale none of my business), and from who you bought it from to you” I grew up in Japan and they do not legally notarize documents! How is DMV going to verify a Notarized document from Japan??? Different clerk and no problems since I had all the original paperwork with the Japanese stamp (that’s official) and no Notary needed 👍

maclaren65 likes this post

Back to top Go down
maclaren65
maclaren65

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 7:30 am

@Kaikun
I am glad the post was helpful to you. Did you get license plates that day?

My 9-year-old son's name is Kai. We call him Kai-kun. His mom is from Japan. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kaikun

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Honolulu
Registration date : 2022-01-06

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm

I got my plates the next day since I had to make another appointment. Actually my Adult sons name is Kai (Japanese Character Ocean ), I’m sure you already knew that 🙂 What part of Japan is your wife from?Mine is from Chiba and my mom is also from there. Good Luck with your HiAce and I hope to share what I find out along the way with and help someone out 👍
Back to top Go down
maclaren65
maclaren65

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 6:00 pm

It's great that you received your plates so quickly! I am still waiting for mine. In California after filing the paperwork at your local DMV, they send it to Sacramento to get it all verified, so I am still waiting for my plates. Hopefully, they will arrive soon. Smile

I sent you a PM about your other comments and question.

Back to top Go down
johnnyTCC

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Baldwin Park
Registration date : 2024-01-04

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2024 11:00 pm

maclaren65 wrote:

Sorry to dig up this old thread but did you ever receive your plates? Also, what paperwork did you have handy to show them the vehicle was legal to register? I know the DOT HS-7 form and EPA 3520-1 form, but were there any other forms you submitted? Thanks in advance! I just went to the DMV and setup an appointment for CHP inspection so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California     New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California	 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member, 1995 HiAce SC 4WD in Silicon Vally, California
Page 1 of 1