Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New member and new owner of a classic Hiace

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mankey
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 37
Home City : Brackley
Registration date : 2017-03-13

New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Empty
PostSubject: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Folks - I'm totally new to Hiace's, but now own one following a drunken bid on a 1980 camper on ebay last week that resulted in me winning it. Laughing

I collect it later this week and hopefully it should get me home..

Anyway, having not even eyeballed it in person, I can see from the pics that it's a bit rough around the edges with the interior being the priority (assuming the engine is OK). The dash looks like it's had a hard life, with half of the plastic panel missing where the original spindle mount radio would have been. It also looks like a previous owner decided that removing the lower cubby and sticking a din sized modern radio in it would be the way forward. Shocked

Having come from vdubs where everything is available and easy to get hold of, old Toyota's seem to be a harder challenge. So I figured I'd start by trying to get some recommendations on any good scrappy's or dealers that carry used parts and bit for these old vans?

I think I'll post a wanted ad or 2 on here as well, as Someone may have a dash or interior stuffed away somewhere...There was a really sound dash in a parts vehicle that sold on ebay last night. I wonder if it was bought by anyone on here?

I generally do most of the work myself on old cars, so I'll be asking plenty of questions in the tech area too.

Cheers

Matt
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, Toyota's never needed so many spare parts lol Wink

Congrats BTW. The manual is here: http://www.toyotavans.org/community/tips/tips.html

As you may not know the service history I'd change all fluids and filters first.

Also Toyota may still supply bits, always worth checking.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 2:13 pm

The mechanical stuff should be available from Toyota dealerships. When it comes to the engine, it is probably more generic and you could check on Ebay and such.

Here in Holland there is a company that has some stock in old Hiace parts for that generation. I'm not sure if it will have a dashboard.
Back to top Go down
mankey
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Have ordered the parts from this website. Seems quite reasonable really, although sourcing one from a scrap vehicle would have been slightly less expensive..
I can't post external links but the company is called amayama.com.

I also managed to find an original center seat base cover, but the company wants 250 euro's for it. Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Useful to know, thanks,

https://www.amayama.com/en

Japarts also looks good

http://www.japarts.co.uk/shop/

If you just want a seat cover it may be that a local trimmer can do it for less. Are you in the UK?
Back to top Go down
mankey
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 10:37 am

GPW wrote:

If you just want a seat cover it may be that a local trimmer can do it for less. Are you in the UK?

Yes, Uk based. I think that I'll get all of the seats retrimmed next autumn. I'll sling a mexican blanket over them for now.
Back to top Go down
mankey
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Having picked up the heap today, I desperately need a new dash. The one in it is foobarred. If anyone hears about someone scrapping a 79-82 van, please can you point them in my direction?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 pm

I think you need to do a lot of searching, but the alternative is to make a cool custom one.
Another alternate to wrap it in vinyl.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2017 10:05 am

Does it just have a lot of holes in there?
I agree with GPW that it may be easier to get it covered. Might be easier than finding another one.
Back to top Go down
mankey
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I've managed to find someone that's scrapping one. Fingers crossed I can get some parts from it..
Back to top Go down
mankey
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Yeah, great news. They have a decent dash! I'm well pleased!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Sounds good!! The difficult bits to source are the trim and small details, grille, lights etc. so stock up!
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am

mankey wrote:
Hi Folks - I'm totally new to Hiace's, but now own one following a drunken bid on a 1980 camper on ebay last week that resulted in me winning it. Laughing

I collect it later this week and hopefully it should get me home..

Anyway, having not even eyeballed it in person, I can see from the pics that it's a bit rough around the edges with the interior being the priority (assuming the engine is OK). The dash looks like it's had a hard life, with half of the plastic panel missing where the original spindle mount radio would have been. It also looks like a previous owner decided that removing the lower cubby and sticking a din sized modern radio in it would be the way forward. Shocked

Having come from vdubs where everything is available and easy to get hold of, old Toyota's seem to be a harder challenge. So I figured I'd start by trying to get some recommendations on any good scrappy's or dealers that carry used parts and bit for these old vans?

I think I'll post a wanted ad or 2 on here as well, as Someone may have a dash or interior stuffed away somewhere...There was a really sound dash in a parts vehicle that sold on ebay last night. I wonder if it was bought by anyone on here?

I generally do most of the work myself on old cars, so I'll be asking plenty of questions in the tech area too.

Cheers

Matt

agree totally, ex vw owner here and I could have ordered everything for a dub van within an hour on the net, these beasts is a totally different ball game..................good in some ways very frustrating in others Rolling Eyes Bus
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member and new owner of a classic Hiace   New member and new owner of a classic Hiace Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member and new owner of a classic Hiace
Page 1 of 1