Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Heater Fan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

Rear Heater Fan Empty
PostSubject: Rear Heater Fan   Rear Heater Fan Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2019 4:43 am

I never tried running my rear heater fan after picking up the van last October since I almost immediately bypassed the rear heater core due to the hard lines being rotten.  Those hard lines got replaced in December, and a part of that job was me removing the two trim panels on the driver's side.

Today I reinstalled the forward trim panel, reconnecting all the controls for the rear heater. I cranked up the van and I get a light on the rear heater buttons, both on the dash and on the trim panel, but the rear fan doesn't blow air on any of the Lo/Hi/Auto settings. I let the van warm up in case the fan isn't supposed to kick on until the coolant warms up, but no joy.

I checked the fuse panel under the steering column, and the relay panel under the center of the dash, but there wasn't anything that specifically called out the rear heater fan. There was a relay titled Rear Heater, and I swapped the defroster relay (same part no.) into its receptacle to no effect.

Does anyone have advice on how to troubleshoot why the fan might not be running? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Rear Heater Fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Heater Fan   Rear Heater Fan Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2019 5:09 pm

I would take a multimeter and start measuring.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Rear Heater Fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Heater Fan   Rear Heater Fan Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2019 12:56 pm

The fan should run all the time it's on, there's no thermostat.

Did you reinstall the panel that fits over the heater? If so check you connected it all back as there is a number of plugs for it. I found the cable to operate the water valve the most awkward bit, never did figure how to disconnect it properly.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

Rear Heater Fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Heater Fan   Rear Heater Fan Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2019 4:43 pm

False alarm, after taking the panel off to check that I had securely plugged all of the heater control wiring connectors back in I noticed that my mechanic had actually unplugged the connector that powers the fan. Glad it was something so simple! cheers

So as not to make this thread completely worthless, my method for disconnecting the valve cable was to pinch the barbs at the end of the arrow-shaped connector and work the loop over them. it is a delicate, fussy job for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear Heater Fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Heater Fan   Rear Heater Fan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Heater Fan
Page 1 of 1