Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1996 Hiace Camper LH119

Go down 
+2
Spud_Gun
skyking
6 posters
AuthorMessage
skyking
skyking

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-05-23

1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Empty
PostSubject: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 11:41 pm

I'm a newbie to Toyota diesel engines and need a little nudge in the right direction. This is a Japanese, right hand drive model Hiace camper van 1996 LH119. I at least was able to spot the oil and transmission dipsticks and the oil drain plug was visible from the bottom but everything else is covered by panels underneath. I suppose because it's 4WD. I'm guessing that the oil filter can be accessed by removing a panel near the pan drain plug. Where are the air and fuel filters located? I've also installed my car navigation system except for the vehicle speed sense wire. I found a box with a sticker that has the word Denso on it, under the glove box. It has a single connector. If this is the ECU which wire is the speed sense wire? Thanks.

Doug Hornick
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Hello and welcome.
Oil filter panel is in close proxy to fill plug, as for speed pulse Iended up fitting a pulse generator band around the propshaft as it was too much hassle trying to find it elsewhere. Any good car hifi centre can order this device which contains the sensor and a band which has 4 magnets which you evenly space around the propshaft, the downside is making a bracket to suit. If I get a chance will upload a pic of what ive done as the van is due in the w/s for service. If not will talk you through the process if you need to Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
skyking
skyking

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 12:00 am

Thanks for your reply. I went poking around the engine yesterday and found the fuel filter. I used some resources I found here for Hilux engines to at least find out what it looked like. The air filter I'm still not sure. I did find some kind of canister visible within the body, just behind the front, right tire. The air intake is directly above this canister along the drivers door. It has a wingnut threaded on it that will need some spray lube to loosen. I'll take a look later. That speed generator sounds interesting but I doubt if you could find it in Japan. Hell, I got funny looks when I asked them for a rear window defogger repair kit.
Back to top Go down
skyking
skyking

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 8:49 am

The canister I found does contain the air filter. Using the Toyota ECP program helps to identify parts for newbies like me who don't know what diesel parts look like.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 10:42 am

i have the discs but struggle to use em dont suppose you can help please.i have em installed but can only find certain part items.think its just the g.u.i is a bit hard to understand.can you tell me where to be typing what please.ta Very Happy
Back to top Go down
skyking
skyking

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 2:50 pm

maximus wrote:
i have the discs but struggle to use em dont suppose you can help please.i have em installed but can only find certain part items.think its just the g.u.i is a bit hard to understand.can you tell me where to be typing what please.ta Very Happy

Since mine is for the Japanese market I start by going to Initial Setup from the main menu and selecting Japanese in the Current CD area version. Click the F10:Exec and then F4:Main buttons at the bottom. Click Part Number Translation. For Model Name/Catalog Code I type HIACE and click Search. A list of models will show up. Mine is the LH119 model so under the Models column I click on the one closest to my model, LH1##. Now back at the Vehicle Input screen the cursor in waiting in the Model field. The Model number from the ID plate under the passenger seat in my van starts with a U-, which is not used. Just type in the rest of the Model number including the dash and click search. The first part of the Frame Number field will be filled in for you and the cursor is sitting at the second part. Type in the remaining part of the Frame Number, the part after the dash and click search. The next page gives a list of different VIN numbers with all other data identical. It doesn't matter which one you choose, just click one. You will then be back at the Vehicle Input screen. Now before you do anything more at this point, in the upper right there's a box that says Vehicle Input Open/Save, click save and put in a name for the TXT file you will create so you don't have to type all this crap again. It will be saved in the TMCMSTW2 directory. Then the next time you want to use the EPC all you'll need to do is get to this screen again, click open and click the saved file. Everything will be there again. Funny though the year and month field info is never saved if you had changed it before saving. Anyway, the next thing to do is click the F10:Exec button and you are now at the Search Route screen. I've only played with the Figure Group so far so depending which parts I want to look at I check one of the four boxes and click F10:Exec or you can also press the F10 button on the keyboard. You are then shown the parts diagrams for whatever group you chose. From here I'm still muddling along but I was able to find the fuel, oil and air filter using these diagrams knowing then what it looked like and about where it's located in the van. Now I want to try to get at the ECU. That's supposed to be by the passenger seat belt mechanism as mentioned in another post and verified by the Electrical Group of diagrams. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 6:00 pm

thankyou very much ta Very Happy
Back to top Go down
skyking
skyking

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 5:06 pm

Well after locating what I thought would be the ECU in the passenger side door post I made my way back to the RV dealer I bought my camper from. I asked them which wire is the speed pulse wire. They gave me a copy of the information and we went out to have a look. The connector was smaller than in the diagram with only 10 or 12? wires on it. He said something about it being a sub computer. The location I needed for my navigation was under the dash. He had his guy open the dash and connect the wire for me. Not wanting to be a pest I wasn't able to see where he eventually connected the wire but the car navigation works on speed pulse now. cheers
Back to top Go down
cruising cabin
cruising cabin

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-11-21

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Hi Skyking,
I am new to HiAce too. Mine is a 1992 LH119 model. One the isde, it says "cruising cabin". It is well equiped and runs well. I haven't tried out the camper portion yet because of the cold weather. I am taking adventage of the down time to learn more about this van. I am looking for repair manual and parts manual. Do you have them? If so, can you tell me where I can get them from?
cc
Back to top Go down
skyking
skyking

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 2:20 am

I don't have any manuals other than a translated owners manual I got off eBay. A discussion about the Toyota parts program can be found at this link:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/general-f5/toyota-electronic-parts-catalogue-t123.htm?highlight=toyota+ecp+program

The steps I used to get the program working for me is posted above. Have fun. Nice looking van by the way.
Back to top Go down
cruising cabin
cruising cabin

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 5:32 pm

Thank Skyking for info.
I am downloading the manual as I type. It looks like it will take me days to finish the download.
Is your Hiace an automatic and is there a red button there? If so, what is the function of this red button on the shift?
cc
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 5:43 pm

The Red button is a manual override so you can shift the stick with the engine off
Also you can shift the stick from P to R or D without having your foot on the brake using the Red Button.
Ideal if you want to check the Auto fluid Level. You can manually shift the gears R N D 1 2 using this button WITH THE HANDBRAKE ON!!
Go through all the gears to check the fluid - with the engine hot it should be between the Min & Max Hot marks.
(Dont check with the engine cold or not running as the fluid level is way up the stick until the torque convertor is filled and rotating.)
Back to top Go down
cruising cabin
cruising cabin

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 6:05 pm

Hey John. That's cool. Thanks. Where are you? Are you in UK?
I am in need of info on this camper van. What is a better way of obtaining the manuals other than downloading them? The etorrent indicated it will take 9 weeks to complete if I had the connection on 24/7!! I don't know if it will ever get done. I am willing to pay good money for the manuals, but just don't know how.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 7:30 pm

I live in Lincoln and am the proud owner of an engine manual for the 2L and 3L engines 2.4 & 2.8ltr respectively.
As an engineer I have done a lot of work on my Camper-so ask away!
The manual would take forever to get into Acrobat Reader format and my leisure time is limited at the moment, however if I can help in any way I will. Just say thank you, one or two on the forum have had info from me without the courtesy of a reply
Regards
John H
Back to top Go down
cruising cabin
cruising cabin

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 pm

Sure John. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I want to get my hands on the Chassis and Body manual. This manual tell me everything I need to know about this vehicle including the wiring diagrams except the engine. I don't have the knowhow to work on the engine anyway. I have a Land Cruiser BJ70 and I have all the manuals for it. The Chassis and body is the one I use the most, and the parts manual as well.
So if I need anything, I will post my question on this forum and hope you could help.
cc
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 12:39 am

Hi Cruise, there is not much to it with the ELF conversion you have on the camper. Most of the leisure parts are a mix of Smev, Electrolux and Webasto. Information can be obtained very easy for those, regarding the rest of the camper and as John's pointed out, there are a few of us on here that have campers or indeed converted vans from scratch.
The leisure side is a very basic system in comparsion to today's campers/motorhomes using the very basic of power production and distribution, so servicing it is a piece of cake and upgrading it is reletivley straight forward.

I work in the motorhome/camper industry mainy on the electrical side (not so much on the Gas) so anything ya need, just shout.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi...I've installed a 97 EPC disc...but am at the stage where it says 'execute the set up'.
Can't get past the you are no a lexus dealer / execute the set up.....I'm running vista...can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 1:29 am

Sorry...silly me. Should have read the stickies 1st... Rolling Eyes
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/general-f5/your-parts-guide-on-line-t599.htm
Before I saw this I ordered a parts DVD off e-bay too...
Oh well, won't be short of parts info What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Hiace Camper LH119   1996 Hiace Camper LH119 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1996 Hiace Camper LH119
Page 1 of 1