Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Radiator

Go down 
+2
LH119V
Rossco
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rossco

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Langwarrin
Registration date : 2022-12-20

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 4:01 am

Has anyone changed over aux radiator rossco
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 10:40 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Grateful if you can expand a bit on what you mean by the 'aux radiator' Depending on model  and options these vans can have a variety of radiators.

My guess is you might mean the flat front radiator, in which case my answer is no as my van only has A/C in that area. I think only the autos have an actual engine cooling radiator in that area and I have a manual but to help as good as possilbe a slightly longer message might be better?

By the way I did write a longish piece on the cooling system here (scroll down below the pics of the rear brakes):
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4317-my-lh119

It was posted 8 May 22 if that helps.

Happy to help further!

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
BBsc

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Melbourne

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2022 1:20 am

It’s a 1998 hiace super custom 1kz-te automatic and yes it’s the lower horizontal radiator
Radiator  13567910

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2022 9:11 pm

Hello and thanks for the update. Very helpful.

As I wrote above I don’t have that lower radiator for engine cooling. I only have A/C in that area.

I can see why you’re interested in getting it fixed as it looks to have a leak.

As I put in my long post (I referred to above) I got my original main radiator re-cored rather than getting a new one. While a different part, I found it hard to get certainty on the correct part replacement and the only replacements I could find were non-OEM quality. The originals are copper and brass and replacements (I could find) were aluminium and plastic. I got my original 2-layer core replaced with a 3-layer for less than the cost of an aluminium and plastic replacement. I found a huge variety in prices and uncertainty for replacements while I could get certainty in a re-core. There are some big global companies in the aftermarket radiator such as Nissens, but I’m sure there are loads of great local companies in your area who can either do a re-core or make or supply an aluminium replacement, which I’d recommend over an aluminium and plastic type.

Something else to bear in mind is that on the autos, I understand, there is a gearbox cooler built into one of the radiators. I think this is possibly built into the main upright radiator, but as I have a manual I don’t fully know. Check and understand how the hoses are routed, especially the ones connected to the gearbox. A more modern way to cool an auto gearbox is to use an air exchange cooler and this has a number of advantages, not least if there is a failure. With an in-radiator heat exchanger then a failure could lead to ATF in the coolant (bad but not catastrophic) and coolant in the gearbox (bad and possibly very catastrophic to the gearbox). The in-radiator heat exchanger also puts more heat load into the coolant system and the 1kz engines are already challenged in this area. If I had one of these I’d be looking to install a more modern ATF air cooler, but this is an aside.

Final point is to suggest you look at this little post:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4468-part-numbers
While short it has some great places to look for general parts and resources.

The links there, esp the EPC should help you id the correct part number, and for any other part of your van.

HTH!
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2022 12:20 am

Rossco wrote:
Has anyone changed over aux radiator rossco

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Rossco

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2022 9:20 pm

Is there anything tricky to watch out for
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2022 1:14 am

Good evening Rossco.

Changing out the front radiator is tedious. The whole power-pack comes out, condenser, fan assembly and radiator. Then you can split it apart and replace - R/R what is needed. I think I pulled the front bumper and grill too to make it easier in the long run.

On my wife’s 1KZ-TE van, the AT cooler was in the vertical radiator, not the forward horizontal one you are inquiring about.

I have some pictures of when I pulled hers to install a condenser fan out of my race car because her Toyota one failed and a new one was impossible to source. I think the pictures should help guide you. Be ready to take a while. You’ll also need refrigerant and a receiver/dryer as the condenser lines need to be split to get it down on the ground, but that’s no big deal, just a heads up.

Good luck Sir. Message me if you need anything.

Happy New Year and God Bless.
-Bryan
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2022 1:19 am

Radiator  D54e8810
Radiator  Fab44310
Radiator  E897e010
Back to top Go down
Rossco

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2022 4:24 am

Many thanks Bryan I have a headache already
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2022 3:23 pm

Sir

My intention was always to pull the whole thing out because I had to get to the top.

Looking at my Pictures it appears the radiator can be snuck out without pulling the condenser. I’d still pull the headlights and bumper… but it might be an option.

Personally I’d still pull the whole thing, it’s not hard just tedious. That way you can inspect the hoses on top and what not. But if you’re in a pinch, looking at my photos there is a path to drop just the radiator if your hands can fit in there.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Ganbatte
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 25
Home City : USA
Model and year :
1996 KZH106W-MRPGT
'Super Custom G Excellent'

Registration date : 2022-07-22

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2022 1:52 am

You don't need to disconnect or drop the a/c assembly to remove the radiator. That would be a pretty silly design. Nor do the bumper and headlights need to come out.

The metal frame surrounding the radiator can be unbolted from the chassis and then the radiator itself is on 4 lord mounts with likely seized fasteners. You will need to get creative with some jack stands or other means of support to hold the condenser assembly up. It's somewhat heavy and awkward, and a second set of hands would be ideal but not necessary.

Back to top Go down
Rossco

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2023 9:07 am

Hi everybody all worked out good undo frame bolts undo 4 rubber mounts support aircon condenser wiggle radiator out very fiddly but doable hint use single hex spanner on top nuts rubber mounts

g00se likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Radiator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator    Radiator  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radiator
Page 1 of 1