Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Radiator fan

Go down 
+3
pushrod
maximus
qpv8evo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
qpv8evo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi all,I am new to this forum as I have only jus bought a 1992 Super Custom.
My question is this,after owning the vehicle for a couple of days I noticed that the rad fan seems to run constantly as soon as I turn the ignition on,im not sure if it did this at first but I cant remember noticing it,is it supposed to do this or has the rad switch failed in the closed position? Also the heater only gets lukewarm so im thinking of flushing the system and replacing the stat,no heat seems to get to the rear heater.
Also where would I find the front washer bottle?

Many Thanks
Gareth
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 10:00 pm

the fan on my supercustom(2.4)is driven by a fan belt not an electric type,dunno about ya problem with the heater(mine isnt the warmest),and last your washer bottle for the front is only accessible when you open the passenger door just above the step.the rear (if ya looking)is on the left side as you open the rear tailgate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi Gareth, I have exactly the same problem - except my heater doesn't work at all! This weekend I'll give it a flush through ( worked well on the Townace! ) and fit a new stat. Will let you know what happens........ scratch
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 9:35 am

The fan turns all of time. It has a fluid clutch that makes it turn faster when it;s hot and less when it's cold....? I don;t get the logic for this type of system other than a failed switch wont result in overheating.

RE: no heat... If your temp gauge rises quickly and sits in the middle then there is no need to change the thermostat. It’s probably working correctly. Your lack of heat is likely just and indication that your coolant fluid is either low or has air bubbles in it.
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Zoochy, Temp seems to be ok, and I've checked levels & massaged the top hose - I think air is all out - but rad does not get hot. Could it be blocked rad? If it was, wouldn't engine overheat? Rear heater doesn't work either. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
kylenorth18
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:39 am

Hmm, we have a mystery fan too...
It's not the main engine fan that goes on with the ignition, not the heater, and it doesn't always come on either?!

And yes it comes from the front too...

(Our heater works fine though, apart from the missing adjustment knob for the temperature, it's on maximum...)
Back to top Go down
qpv8evo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 am

Thanks for all the replies,there definitely is a fan that comes on with the ignition and the engine doesnt have to be running, I wonder what it is? does anybody have a drivers manual?
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:42 am

A tip regarding poor performance from the heater, get one of the better halfs tights, take off the hoses to and from the heater.
Put the heater on full, put the tights over the pipe to the heater, attach a hose pipe to the exit pipe and back flush the heater.
You will be amazed at the muck and rubbish that accumulates in the heater radiator.
I do this at least 3 times a year as it appears that the heater is a filter for the heater system. Its much better than Rad Flush

I reckon the electric fan must be a mod as the manuals show the viscous fan hub which only turns when the engines running.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:45 am

could it be one of the large aircon fans on the underneath Question
Back to top Go down
qpv8evo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Is there a seperate fan for air con,sounds like it could be this as I have been fiddling with various buttons........
Back to top Go down
qpv8evo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:24 am

I still have a fan that starts as soon as I turn on my ignition,I now realise that the cooling fan is viscous so what is the fan I can hear coming from the front of the vehicle,are they indeed air con fans?if so how do I turn them off?
Gareth
Back to top Go down
qpv8evo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 11:39 pm

Okay,now im getting somewhere.....replaced the stat, heater now fine,after poking around and learning some more I realise that engine is cooled by viscous and condenser for air con sits perpendicular to rad with its own fan,if I plug the fan relay back in im still getting live to the fan all the time with the ignition on,I have used the air con today and although its blows very cold it is obviously not as good as it should be with the air con fan not pulling air past the condenser,Does anybody know if the fan is supposed to come on when you turn the compressor on every time or does it only come on at certain times like when the ambient air is above a certain temp for example?

Gareth
scratch
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 7:57 am

I don't notice too much noise from our 97 with air con on. Maybe the sensor is buggered or the wiring modded?

Some vehicles do have a separate fan for aircon which spins all the time though.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:34 am

my aircon packed in working because one of the three sensors on the radiator cap manifold was loose(2.4td sensor was the one under where the top hose attatches).not saying its this but it could be one of many that maybe faulty causing it to stay on.have you tried pulling the switch from the console and testing it?you could have a faulty switch Wink
Back to top Go down
qpv8evo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 7:03 am

Maximus Hi,I have checked the sensor on the thermostat housing and this seems to check out okay,my air con relay has five contacts,one is constantly live and one becomes live with ignition, im not sure what actually switches the fan in and out,the air con cools great whilst in motion but im guessing that with the fan relay removed as soon as I get in traffic it wont be as efficient as there is no air flow passing the condenser,does the fan cut in depending on temperature of the refrigerant? and is the relay pin that I have constantly live supposed to be the switched one?

Regards
Gareth
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 11:00 am

sorry fella cant help you with the testing of the relays n stuff i havent got the gear or the knowledge confused .it is possible that someone on the site has already done this or its their area.can anyone else help Question
Back to top Go down
qpv8evo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Okay thanks,just need somebody with a Super Custom,a test lamp and kind heart Very Happy
Gareth
Back to top Go down
qpv8evo
Not so new now
Not so new now

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Hi guys,finally got to the bottom of this rad fan thing,turns out it WAS one of the sensors on the thermostat housing,it controls the rad/air con fans but according to the chap at the Toyota dealer it also controls the cold start side of the injector pump........I thhink he said something about a possible fifth injector but also said that I would be always running too rich as the faulty sensor was telling the ECU that it was always cold hence 25mpg!!!!,will fit the sensor in the morning and hopefully the fans will only work when they need to and my fuel mileage improve.

Gareth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Radiator fan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator fan   Radiator fan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radiator fan
Page 1 of 1