Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine stalling after start up...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
moodyviolets
moodyviolets

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Rohnert Park
Model and year : 1993 3.0L D
Registration date : 2020-05-05

Engine stalling after start up... Empty
PostSubject: Engine stalling after start up...   Engine stalling after start up... Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 3:51 am

My '93 diesel (automatic) has been having an issue running. It will die right after I start the engine/during warm up. It is usually better if I can get it to warm up (it won't die on the road after a good warm up).
I just replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and oil filter.
I am going to try turning up the idle a bit to see if that makes any difference.
Has anyone else run into this problem?
Back to top Go down
Derekd

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Burnet TX
Registration date : 2020-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling after start up...   Engine stalling after start up... Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 3:46 pm

I had the same issue last year. It's the ecu. A capictor goes bad. The ecu is behind the passenger door pillar.
Back to top Go down
moodyviolets
moodyviolets

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Rohnert Park
Model and year : 1993 3.0L D
Registration date : 2020-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling after start up...   Engine stalling after start up... Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks, I found the ECU and checked it out, but it seems alright. No leaking or anything like that that I could see..
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling after start up...   Engine stalling after start up... Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 9:01 pm

As one who has had an ECU fail it sounds similar to mine Mainly intermittent failure to start it will only get worse, when it does fail to start or start and then stop lift the engine cover with ignition on you may hear a ticking sound from near IP this is the sound of a faulty ECU, there are no replacements to be found anywhere. The solution I found was to find someone with good electronic soldering skills ether amateur or professional, the capacitors cost no more than £2.00 each you need maybe 4. There is a problem with ECU repair shops, the reply was (as they want to charge a few £100) yes we could repair it but as we have no test equipment for that particular ECU we cannot guarantee the work so are not prepared to undertake the repair, I asked 3 of them and got the same answer. Finally found an enthusiast who did a great job, alas he does not wish to have ques at his door and I respect his privacy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalling after start up...   Engine stalling after start up... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine stalling after start up...
Page 1 of 1