Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help me with a stalling problem, please!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kylenorth18
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Help me with a stalling problem, please! Empty
PostSubject: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 7:58 pm

When my parents Hiace is taken out for a long drive, it stalls at junctions.

After about 30 mins of driving, usually involving some 50mph+ driving, the engine dies when you stop.

With a 2.4L TD automatic, this obviously isn't normal Wink It never overheats either.

It can be saved by gliding up to junctions/roundabouts in N and then keeping it in neutral until you are ready to go. That's when you have to rev a little and go into D. This really doesn't sound healthy for the gearbox...

Or, just stay at about 50mph and it usually doesn't do it either Question

The weirder part is that it cures itself after doing it most of the time. E.g. if you don't stop it from stalling, it'll carry on fine afterwards.

Yesterday, me and my mum were out in the hiace and went for a 30/40 mile journey with 20 mins of dual carriageway and the rest country roads & hills. So a pretty straining journey.
After the dual carriageway section (my mum went at about 65mph for half of it) it kept sounding like it was going to stall, so we found a layby to let it do it so that it would 'cure' itself.
It wouldn't do it and we both sat there like lemons putting it through the gears and going forward and back Rolling Eyes
But it definately sounded like it wanted to stall, so mum turned the engine off and started up again and we carried on.

The rest of the journey, it was fine with no problems (even when she reversed into my cousins drive, which is the gear that normally is certain to stall it).

So, we are absolutely lost as to what is wrong...

I read somewhere on a hilux forum about EGR valves being taken off and the holes plated up to stop engines losing power and sometimes stalling. Could this be related?

I'll try to think of another way of describing how it goes briefly and what other symptoms there are.

Thanks,
Kyle

Sorry for the essay! But I tried to give you as much info as possible!
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 9:00 am

Definately not the ERG.
What year is the vehicle?
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 2:15 pm

One of two things I suspect
1 Air in the fuel line somewhere. Check for leaks, there should be a vacuum in the fuel tank when you take the fuel cap off, if not there is a chance that air is entering the fuel lines.
2 The Automatic Advance/ Inreased Tickover Cylinder on the fuel pump has a blockage or airlock in the coolant. If your tickover is OK from cold, when the engine hots up the tickover is reduced by the ThermoWax controller, if its too low the engine will stall.Could need the tickover increasing slightly.

My money's on air in the fuel line as it happened to my Hiace Camper.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 10:04 pm

i would start with the cheap fixes first.have you serviced it recently Question if not try changing the filters (oil,air,diesel).next i would add a good diesel additive(millers every day Very Happy ).i would also reccomend trying to read the ecu for faults incase any have been recorded(dont use your local monkeys its easy enough to do yourself).finally if all else fails call diesel bob,he`s yer man Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kylenorth18
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 11:36 pm

Ah yeah I know about the fuel tank vacuum thing. When you take the cap off after a drive it should suck air in? Or not...

I'll try and check the fuel lines before me and my mum go for a 25ish mile drive on Wednesday.

I forgot to mention the hiace is a 1992 K reg model Smile

And the last time it was serviced is coming onto a year so it will be done soon.
Last time, the fuel filter was ruined and obviously hadn't been done for a long time.

maximus- how do you read the ecu? (in simple 16 year old understandable terms Wink )

Just another thing to add to the list...
Oil leak needs doing next Wink

Thanks guys Smile
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 8:45 pm

here`s the link on our site(cor ive just read em and it was my first post...suppose you have to start somewhere.....and its usually with a problem lol! ) https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/grease-monkey-sorry-couldnt-resist-its-a-bf2142-thing-f1/fault-codes-t97.htm .hope this helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kylenorth18
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 11:46 pm

I know it's not related now, but is the EGR valve blocking:
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/egr.htm
worth doing?

Anyhoo, the hiace was too hot earlier to check stuff in the engine, my mum went out and got back as it got dark too...

Just going to have to cross our fingers on the journey tomorrow Very Happy

Thanks so much guys!
I'll print these suggestions off and go through them when I finish college for the weekend Smile
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 3:08 am

I'm with JohnHRef999 on this one. Check for air leaks where the fuel lines go in and out of the fuel filter. Or.... when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? It might be partially blocked. Simple first.

RE: blocking the ERG. I have not yet done this. Sounds good in theory but the valve is there for good reason (environmental).

Last edited by on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 4:33 pm

doing the e.g.r is only worth doing when all else fails.i did read somewhere that they thought that was a possible cause of the 2.4 cracking heads but mine has been spanked for 4years now without any head related probs.only thing ive done is regular oil services and millers.works for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kylenorth18
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:36 am

I checked today with the fuel tank vacuum and there is one, so that sort of rules out air leaks Sad

I don't hink a service would help much as it was doing last year before we serviced it...

So I need to get understanding the fault code thing Wink
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:45 am

I was serious about the fuel filter. When was the last time it was changed?
Back to top Go down
kylenorth18
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 1:14 am

Last year, but it was stalling before and after the filter change...
Back to top Go down
kylenorth18
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 9:10 pm

By last year, I mean about this time last year...not end of december last year Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me with a stalling problem, please!   Help me with a stalling problem, please! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me with a stalling problem, please!
Page 1 of 1