Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Random Stalling

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
azimmerman11

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Cleveland Heights
Registration date : 2024-03-08

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 3:20 pm

Hey all,

I have a 1997 Hiace KZH-138. Have a new alternator and the ECU was recapped a couple of years ago. Have had very few issues but randomly stalled on the highway a couple of times. First time it was able to restart with no issues, last time it wouldn't crank when trying to start it. Waited a minute or so, tried again and it restarted no problem. Any thoughts on what it could be? ECU bad, even though it was serviced recently? Alterator causing issues (13V off, 14.5 running)? Ignition switch?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 4:16 pm

I don't have a diesel Hiace, but if a diesel engine is occasionally stalling, I would think the first place to look is the fuel supply. It's possible the ECU is causing injector issues but hopefully something more simple.

When you said stalling on the highway, did it cut off when at speed - or were you in stop-start traffic?
Back to top Go down
azimmerman11

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 10:27 pm

I was at highway speeds. All of the lights on the dash turned on and I coasted to the side of the highway to restart it. If it was a fuel delivery issue, wouldn't it still crank when trying to start it?
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 10:49 pm

Ah sorry, so you couldn't even get it to turn over, nothing?
Back to top Go down
azimmerman11

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 10:52 pm

Nothing for a minute or two, then it started up without issue. Almost all of the dash lights were on immediately after stalling, I noticed glow plug light was off. All dash lights remained on when trying to restart it, radio worked, other electronics, etc.
Back to top Go down
azimmerman11

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 10:54 pm

Also having trouble tracking down a wiring diagram for the ignition switch to test voltage there....
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 11:08 pm

Just a thought, do you have an after market alarm / immobiliser installed?

Back to top Go down
azimmerman11

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 11:14 pm

No alarm or immobiliser.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 11:38 pm

These are in the manuals available. There's also a lot of diagrams for the supply too.

Random Stalling Screen21

Random Stalling Screen22
Back to top Go down
azimmerman11

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2024 12:05 am

Thanks! Hoping to get to it next week.
Back to top Go down
azimmerman11

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2024 4:24 pm

Tested the ignition switch for continuity according the the diagrams provided (Thanks again). Seems like everything has continuity; 0 ohms on most with 0.9 from 9 to 10 but I think this was an anomoly because when checked again later I got it to 0 and sometimes 0.6. Although, since the issue is intermittent and seldom happening could this be position dependent?
3 to 4 would give higher readings (2.5-3.0 range) at times but would also give readings of 0 ohms at other checks.
If it was stalling because of the ignition switch, shouldn't I expect continuity issues between 2 to 4 or 9 to 10? 3 to 4 should shut off the accessory but not the engine?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Random Stalling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Stalling   Random Stalling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Stalling
Page 1 of 1