Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Random stoppage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Edrgeoff

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Auckland
Registration date : 2020-09-13

Random stoppage Empty
PostSubject: Random stoppage   Random stoppage Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 11:23 am

Sorry if this has been covered but I can't find an answer. My 94 1kz te will randomly stop, engine just turns off. I coast to the side of the road, turn the key and away I go. The longest I've had to wait is 2 min before it restarts. In this time it would crank happily but not start, like no diesel. Inbetween these stoppages the van runs beautifully for days at a time. I have had the ecu checked, all is fine(was done 4 years ago)
I checked the 2 wires going to the spill control valve, and got 12v from one and 10v from the other, which didn't seem right. I checked some friends surfs and got totally different results.
Sorry about the long read but does it seem I'm looking in the right direction.?
Back to top Go down
Djhatzigiannis
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Home City : Eltham
Registration date : 2020-07-04

Random stoppage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random stoppage   Random stoppage Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 1:56 pm

1kz normally ecu crsck it open look for leaky Caps or broken track
Back to top Go down
Edrgeoff

Random stoppage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random stoppage   Random stoppage Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Thanks, but I had my ecu checked and they said it was fine. I had already had it repaired 4 years ago and is still in good shape
Back to top Go down
Djhatzigiannis
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Home City : Eltham
Registration date : 2020-07-04

Random stoppage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random stoppage   Random stoppage Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 9:13 pm

My surf was the same try swapping it with a mate and see if it makes any difference
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 59
Home City : Aussie
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Living Saloon Ex 4wd 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2020-06-01

Random stoppage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random stoppage   Random stoppage Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 4:17 am

Same problem.

I have 2 ECUs - one has had caps replaced - no difference - still stalls and wont start at all for a while.

Diesel place had the same Fuel pump so used it on my van with a new speed sensor (turns pedal pressure to voltage - ecu..)

Same problem - so very very unlikely to be fuel pump

if you independently give the spill valve 12v when van is stalled and wont start - fuel starts pump starts pumping

I am so tired of it i wouldnt mind ripping out the electronically controlled fuel and back to old school.

such a pain i am considering selling it as is!

its my 10th japanese van - have never had problems like it.

No way to get the electrical diagrams for this 1kz-te van and no way to find out how the ECU operates when it comes to the electronic fuel system.

I gotta wonder if both my ecus are stuffed (including the $450 i bought from NZ)

Can the sensors connected to just stop the voltage signal coming from the ecu to power the spill valve? I kind of doubt it.

Sensors connected to ECU

Throttle Position Sensor - working one tried - ruled out

Water Temperature Sensor - (under filler cap). Mine is broken off anyway

Crank Angle sensor - i would think this would give an ECU error code - no codes come up.

Pressure sensors

Harness from ECU to spill control valve -

Dodgy connection at wiring connector

Rust/ debris / physically bent/ Bad / short circuit / broken wire in middle of wire length or wiring loom

wiring harness short circuiting to body ground. /
switch short circuiting

Measure resistance between ecu connector terminals and their sensor side (less that 1 ohm) - shake and wiggle test at same time.

check ecu ground circuit

Failsafe mode could cut out engine?

i just ended up rambling! oops

Rotten connector on the sensor position of the crankshaft.

Back to top Go down
Edrgeoff

Random stoppage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random stoppage   Random stoppage Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 4:52 am

Thanks for that. Yup I'm well and truly over it. My problem is it runs so well and so long in between stoppages, I keep thinking I've solved it, relax a bit and then stop.
Just a curiosity, do you get the same 12v and 10v from the 2 wires running to the spill valve, key on not running. No one has been able to confirm what they should be.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Random stoppage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random stoppage   Random stoppage Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Had similar problems but not exactly same , turned out it was blockages in the fuel system seems so basic it can be overlooked. The fuel tank strainer was 95% blocked with 22 years of dirt the main fuel filter was spotless , the filter under the spill valve was part blocked and the one in the IP pump inlet was severely blocked there is also a pressure relieve under the return pipe that could be wedged open with dirt. I had all these plus the usual capacitor failure in the ECU that throws all sorts of weird problems. As you may have gathered I run mine on WVO blend and the problems had nothing to do with WVO it is now running like a clock costing approx 1/3 of pump price fuel. Ahh the joy of running a 20 year old van (but will the modern electronically controlled things stand the test of time, suppose we will all be buying scan tools and watch hours of youtube on how to use them).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Random stoppage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random stoppage   Random stoppage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random stoppage
Page 1 of 1