Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Crank/no start/engine stall

Go down 
+2
Unclewolverine
4Misch
6 posters
AuthorMessage
4Misch
4Misch

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Eugene
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2020-06-07

Crank/no start/engine stall Empty
PostSubject: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2021 5:30 pm

I had an issue arise a few weeks ago. I started the van and backed up not more than 5ft and it stalled on me. When trying to start it again it would just crank but not start. I cracked an injector line and noticed no fuel was going to the engine when I would crank. One thing I would notice is there was no glow plug light and I could not hear any relays or solenoids clicking.
I unplugged the battery overnight, glow plug light came on, relays clicked, it cranked and started for a few minutes, then stalled. I could hear relays still clicking sporadically after the stall. After the stall it went back to the state of crank/no start.
I tested the spill valve and all appears to be good. Resistance is in spec, the solenoid clicks well when hooked up to 12v. From reading other threads on 1kz forums many click to leaky capacitors in the ECU. It seems to reset when I have the battery unhooked.
Others have pointed to the main fuses, specifically the glow plug fuse, visually it appears to be good, but I may replace it with a spare just to rule that one out.
Any other suggestions to test?

Axel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Unclewolverine

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Kansas
Registration date : 2021-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2021 2:49 am

You might start with switching in another battery. If it's like my bmw r1200c the electronics are really sensitive to voltage drops or weak amperage. Also check grounds.

Axel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Axel

Number of posts : 2
Home City : eugene, or
Registration date : 2021-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2021 6:12 pm

Howdy, I'll be curious what you find out. I just bought a 96 Hiace Super Custom turbo diesel. Seem to be having a similar issue of random stalling.

brost likes this post

Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Very high chance its the ECU capacitors , they cause all sorts of weird symptoms . Yours sound so familiar to my SC when the ECU packed up sometimes firing up randomly stopping clicking sound from IP etc. Best solution is to find an electronics chap who can replace the capacitors the 96 era seams particularly bad , they do not have to be exactly the same as Toyota ones and are better made these days , think there may be 6 or 7 and only cost £2 or £3 each tops . I was very lucky finding someone with the skills needed because replacement new ECU,s are not available and used ones will have same problems. Also ECU repair shops were not interested , one stated we can do the repair but decline because we have no test equipment for that model , possibly because they charge hundreds for a simple job and cannot guarantee the work. Having said this SC owners in Australia have succeeded in getting a repair done.

Axel likes this post

Back to top Go down
4Misch
4Misch

PostSubject: Re: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 12:25 am

I was able to source a spare ECU for relatively inexpensive. I'll test it out when it arrives. I'll keep you all posted on the results. In the meantime I'll be doing some maintenance as well.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 3:17 am

Open it up and look first, it may be no better than the one you have if that is the problem. All those units of that age suffer from the leaking capacitor issue unfortunately so it's not 'if' but 'when' they fail.
Back to top Go down
4Misch
4Misch

PostSubject: Re: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 5:02 am

So, finally put it back together. I performed GPW's cooling modification, deleted the EGR, and cleaned the intake manifold. I'll do a full write up on those topics in the future, along with some testing data.

Wanted to give some progress on this topic. When starting up the vehicle, it did not pump any fuel to the injectors with the original ECU. I was able to source a spare, and upon swapping, it pumped fuel. It even ran!
When performing the maintenance, i removed the turbo sensor, and upon unhooking the vacuum line from the sensor, the nipple on the sensor snapped off with the vacuum tube. I attempted to repair it with some JB weld. But it probably was not 100% air tight or is restricting the sensor inlet.
Im assuming that is what is causing the sporadic idle, as when I unplugged it, it idled normally.
I'm awaiting a new sensor, but if your 1kz is cranking and no fuel is going to the injectors it could very well be an ECU issue.
Back to top Go down
brost

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Edmonton
Registration date : 2022-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2022 4:54 am

Have a spare ECU, wiring harness and MAP sensor available if someone needs a replacement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crank/no start/engine stall   Crank/no start/engine stall Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crank/no start/engine stall
Page 1 of 1