Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine will not start after running and parking.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
martinnz
Not so new now
Not so new now
martinnz

Number of posts : 34
Home City : Auckland, New Zealand
Model and year : Hiace Supercustom
2.4 EFI Turbo diesel
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Engine will not start after running and parking. Empty
PostSubject: Engine will not start after running and parking.   Engine will not start after running and parking. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 7:38 pm

I have a problem with my SC.

The other day I started the van to move it off the drive, and parked up. Went to put it back on the drive and it would not start - sounded like fuel starvation, the engine turned over fast, but it would not fire.

I left the van for the day, then pumped the priming knob at the top of the fuel filter, and tried it again, and it was fine.

It ran for 4 days, and then did the same again, I towed it home and charged the battery (as it went flat trying to start it)

The next day it started fine again.

It has a new fuel filter, I am wondering if it could be the tank vent or fuel line or fuel pump?

Has anyone any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Martin.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Engine will not start after running and parking.   Engine will not start after running and parking. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Check fuel filter is seated correctly.
On a cold engine prime the fuel pump it should only take a pump or two. Drive it and park up,check primer again it should be rock hard. If the primer is clamped down that would indicate a blockage from the tank.
If it is soft air is getting in somewhere, check all hoses but I would suspect the primer pump itself.
Back to top Go down
Camo

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Baldivis, Perth, Western Australia
Model and year : Jet Black 94 Super Custom 2WD 3.0ltr turbo deisel 2.5 inch high
flow exhaust with twin 4 inch tailpipes. Lowered 110mm all round
20 x 8.5 inch polished chrome wheels with 245/35R20 tyres
many electrical mods including high powered audio, reverse camera with rear view mirror monitor and remote electric sliding door
Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Hi Martin   Engine will not start after running and parking. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 3:52 am

Hi Martin,
I have just repaired the exact same fault. I initially thought it was a fuel problem but turned out to be engine ECU. I have read almost every post on this forum looking for answers and it turns out to be a very common problem as the car gets older. I also read about similar problems with Toyota Surfs on a different forum, seems many owners were brave enough to do the repair themselves which is basically replacing the capacitors inside the ECU. Not that hard if you have ok electrical knowledge and for the $9 it cost me I thought I'd give it a shot. Fixed the problem but created a few others, I put up with it for about a week then located a second hand ECU. Put it in and everything is sweet now. Hopefully this one lasts a while. Can't complain really, I've had my Super Custom for 8 years and this is the first time it has ever let me down. Good Luck
Camo
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

Number of posts : 83
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1996 8 seater Super Custom 4WD KZH106
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Engine will not start after running and parking.   Engine will not start after running and parking. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 am

Hi Camo,

If you don't mind me asking - what other problems came up? If it happens to mine I will probably try to repair it myself - like replacing old caps on a computer motherboard. Sometimes this worked - sometimes not.

I have met one faulty ecu whilst owning my SC. The guy who I bought my machine off swapped in an ecu to try and clear the airbag light and it would cut out after about 30 min driving, then go again for a few minutes if left to cool down for about 5 minutes. I ended up pulling the trim and checking - it was really hot. I got my ecu back and reset the airbag warning fault myself (there was no issue with the airbag itself - the dome light fuse was out and caused the fault to be logged).

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down
greatchris8

Number of posts : 4
Home City : lusaka
Registration date : 2015-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine will not start after running and parking.   Engine will not start after running and parking. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 8:09 pm

mine also happened today , i cranked the start for longer seconds with manual diesel pump , finally started . this just happend since we bought the car but with no problems . i suspected maybe airlock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine will not start after running and parking.   Engine will not start after running and parking. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine will not start after running and parking.
Page 1 of 1