Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wheelarch woes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Camper949
Camper949

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Manchester
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan
Registration date : 2017-07-22

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am

Are there any UK based members on here who can point me in the direction of someone who deals in Hiace body panels?

I have a '93 Hiace camper conversion that was imported from Japan in 2012 and our salt encrusted roads have done their worst to the driverside rear wheel arch and I could do with tracking down a repair arch.

I have spent much time on Google and made a few phone calls without much success, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 8:39 pm

You mean this? (Dutch site)

http://www.euro-autoparts.nl/artikel_info.php?artikelnr=8193592&kiesmerk=TOYOTA&kiesmodel=5344&kiesgroep=&zoekwoord=&sorteren=produktgroep,%20omschrijving,%20cadeon_nr&weergave=thumb

They are available from the manufacturer Klokkerholm, we used them for our van as well. But they are aimed at left hand drive vehicles, so the edge is there because they assume you have a sliding door on that side.
Anyway, you should still be able to use the wheel arch.

I would contact Klokkerholm directly, and see if they have a UK supplier:

http://www.klokkerholm.com/xCMS/Default.aspx?id=85
Back to top Go down
Camper949
Camper949

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply Hiace4wd, that looks to be just what I need. The rust isn't extensive enough for the front edge, where the sliding door would be, to cause a problem.

I'll get in touch with them.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Get them to rustproof the van, I think the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) are not really rust proofed, perhaps someone else may know for sure, but that is what I've heard.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 7:35 am

As far as I know they are all made in Japan, also my European version, and I don't think they would build with different quality. If they would, then they would at least keep the highest quality for themselves Razz

Anyway, mine has seen a lot of gravel roads in his life, and was rusting quite bad on all the lower edges.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am

I read on some Bongo forums a while back that the JDM didn't need the cost and weight of european wax proofing.

There's a whole section of the manual devoted to where to put the wax that I read, which also implies it's not a universally applied thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 9:49 am

I guess it could be, but then, the weather in Japan isn't much better. They have a rainy season and a lot of people live near the coast with salt air. So I'm not sure if a car has an easier life in Japan, apart from people in Japan taking much better care of their car, and the roads are probably better.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am

I'll take a look at that site as both the bottom of my front doors are bubbling badly, need to act on them but just back from holiday and £££ has gone Sad
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Yes they also have front door lower panels. However, they don't have the inner parts, just the outher shells. Also check if any water is staying in the door.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:
Yes they also have front door lower panels. However, they don't have the inner parts, just the outher shells. Also check if any water is staying in the door.

Excellent, cheers buddy, and yes the drivers does as its always dripping after a rain storm
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 8:50 pm

This Body repair Manual I came across a while ago may be useful.

It identifies all the areas to rustproof with wax to stop any more rust, obviously don't add it to bits you're going to have repaired though!

/http://rg.to/file/3fd302fcf08c1b8c560efdf27e6c7208/Body_Repair_Manual.zip.html

Copy/past the link but avoid the leading '/' character. This avoid the site adding an adfly advert fest if I'd added a clickable link.
Back to top Go down
Camper949
Camper949

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 pm

I don't think the Japanese do as much rustproofing as us Europeans. Apparently they don't use salt on their roads, so most imported cars come in pretty much rust free. A dealer I was asking about body panels said they'd never had to do bodywork on any of the cars they'd brought in.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Camper949 wrote:
I don't think the Japanese do as much rustproofing as us Europeans. Apparently they don't use salt on their roads, so most imported cars come in pretty much rust free. A dealer I was asking about body panels said they'd never had to do bodywork on any of the cars they'd brought in.

From the Bongo forums (I was looking at Bongos before I decided the Hiace looked much cooler) I learnt that the imports are all pretty much rust free, the important first thing was to immediately rust proof it for the UK roads.

Models for export arrive covered in wax, I've been to car shows in the UK, Germany and Russia and certainly all the Nissans came with really quite thick tough wax.
Back to top Go down
AM Camper
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 26
Home City : Reading
Model and year : 1997 Hiace Campervan 2.8 diesel poptop AM Craft
Registration date : 2017-12-26

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Chemicals not salt in Japan   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 9:24 pm

In Japan when it freezes they use chemicals on roads not salt, that does not damage or corrode the vehicles there. Living close to sea would affect mostly upper bodywork. That's what I have read anyway I'm only here because my wheel arches need weld or repair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wheelarch woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheelarch woes   Wheelarch woes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheelarch woes
Page 1 of 1