Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overheating woes!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 24
Home City : Axminster, Devon UK
Model and year : 1992 Hiace Reimo campervan
Registration date : 2013-07-24

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi folks

After having the headgasket done about a month ago, the Hiace decided to boil again, as we pulled up on the drive after a 64 mile trip. When the work was done they also flushed & checked the radiator. I now don't trust the van at all & suspect the gasket has gone again. I took it to the local garage (who did the work) about 4 miles away, it did not overheat on the way there but as I pulled back on to the drive I could hear it boiling, the temp gauge showing normal at this point.

I'm not sure on my next move, the garage fixed the initial problem & checked for probable cause.  One thing they thought was that it was hanging on to the gears for longer than they would expect.

Does anyone know of anywhere that are experts with the Hiace in the South West UK? It's a 1992 2.8d auto by the way.

Cheers,
Pete
Back to top Go down
sikeca

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Gloucester
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 4:34 pm

We had our hiace repaired by Martin Clack Whitminster Gloucester.
Our water pump failed and the engine cooked. Needed a new head etc. Labour only 400 pounds but parts 1200 and VAT 400. Knows his stuff though and VERY honest.
Regards,
Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Number of posts : 89
Home City : Gold Coast Qld
Model and year : super custom 3ltr turbo diesel 1995
Registration date : 2011-06-11

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 8:59 pm

We have just had the head replaced in our SC 3ltr turbo diesel
also ..$2300 labour and $1971 parts with GST $327..ours was caused by a split in the radiator and overheating some 12 months ago .
Back to top Go down
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks for your replies.

Right, I've booked it in for the 5th Sept at a different garage (I don't want to go back to the original mechanics). I'm fearing the worst, but thinking that I should take this opportunity to replace anything that could cause overheating. I'm thinking: Radiator. Water pump. Viscous fan coupling. Head (hopefully not needed but not holding my breath!). Thermostat (new one fitted with last repair). Any obvious things I've missed?

Pete
Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 am

my mechanic also replaced the timing belt etc whilst it was apart ..I am about to put it to the test and heading off on a trip to western queensland to show some visiting friends from Scotland a bit of Aussie countryside ..outback australia ....good luck with it all
cheers Tezza
Back to top Go down
cubicpete
Not so new now
Not so new now

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 10:08 am

Update time.

Taking it one step at a time, I've had the radiator re-cored and refitted. The result - the engine hasn't overheated so far on the move, however when you pull up you can hear bubbling (like a kettle about to boil). I've not taken it on trips of more than 10 miles (don't trust it not to boil). The mechanic wasn't convinced that it was cured, although the radiator change was a good move.  Would a failed head gasket not cause it to boil immediately or am I being optimistic?

Also, does anyone know if this engine uses stretch bolts?

Cheers,
Pete
Back to top Go down
maztez
Not so new now
Not so new now
maztez

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 11:33 am

Gidday Pete , I am not a mechanic but I worry about the bubbling noises you hear ..I have found that these engines run hot and I have had another temp guage installed and run the original one (to keep the computer happy ) as well as the new one ..The original hardly moved from half even when my motor overheated . Mine took about 12 months to finally succomb to the first overheating . My radiator man said that they are like getting a chip in the windscreen and slowly radiate out into cracks ..he was right as the head had 7 cracks and was unrepairable ..also he said not to use the old head bolts but definately use new ones ..
hope this is of help
cheers Terry
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : Looking for my next
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Yep. Stretch bolts. Friend of mine (ex Toyota mechanic) advised me when doing head change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Overheating woes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating woes!   Overheating woes! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overheating woes!
Page 1 of 1