Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Changing the oils.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

Changing the oils. Empty
PostSubject: Changing the oils.   Changing the oils. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2023 5:15 pm

I'm sure I've seen it on here before but can't find it now, didn't write it down and I'm going mad searching for it.

Is there a definitive list of all the oils used for whatever engines transmissions etc on these vans ?

Mine is a 3L, automatic, selectable 4WD with a LSD if there isn't a list for all types and I'm going to change the whole lot.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Changing the oils. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing the oils.   Changing the oils. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2023 7:50 pm

Hello NickZ

I’m sure there are plenty of opinions and advice on here but ‘definitive’, well I’d say no.

Hiaceshoutheast is a good place to start but the specs for all lubricants have changed in the last 30y and what was specified back in the 1990s has long since been superseded in my experience. That said you will then face the option of using a newer, possibly more expensive (?) lubricant, which ought to be better or the exact correct lubricant, which might be inferior. Motor factors tend to sell most of the modern lubes, which are probably over-specced for the Hiace. As these are the typical oils etc they sell, they will probably be only a fraction more than the ‘proper’ stuff.

This is the list I work with:

Transmission Fluid - Manual (mine) - G52: SAE 75w90 GL-5 or API GL-4 or GL5, 2.6L, SAE 75W-90 or Geartech SS (or FS 75W-90(better)).

Front differential: SAE 80w90 GL-5. Prob SAE 75w90 GL-5 will be fine or Hypoid gearoil APi GL5 at >-18C SAE 90 (or Geartech FS 75W-90).

Rear differential. LSD rear differential (mine) use hypoid LSD specific gear oil: I use Castrol 75w90 GL-5 for LSD, but a normal gear oil plus modifier should be fine (so, Hypoid gearoil APi GL5 at >-18C SAE 90) (or Geartech LS 90).

Transfer Case: SAE 75w90 GL-5 or API GL-4 or GL5, 2.6L, SAE 75W-90 (or Geartech FS 75W-90).

Power steering: ATF Dexron 2. It’s pretty old hat now and I expect any similar Dexron number will be fine (or ATF DII (2) or DIII (3) (better)).

Brake and clutch: DOT 3 (SAE J1703 or FMVSS No 116). I now use DOT 4. It’s better and not more expensive.

Engine: API CF-4, -12C up 15W40, but this depends on general ambient temp. There are tables in the manuals to specify the correct weight, but again API CF-4 is a pretty low standard by modern standards (or Ultra 15W-40).

These are the numbers from Hiacesoutheast, the manual or products from Westway Oils or Smith&Allan.

If you can limit the number of different oils (within reason) then you can rationalise your purchasing. 25L is a sweet spot and for engine oil will only be 3 to 4 changes. The Hiace takes a lot of fluids so I think it’s definitely worth buying in reasonable bulk. This is expensive to buy in 5L bottles. Westway oils seems good as seems Smith&Allan. Not bought from the latter but a fiend with a LR uses them. Give either company an email / ring and see what they suggest?

Finally do pay attention to the quality of the stuff you’re removing and replace any oil seals if they are leaking. All the plugs on mine are all 24mm thankfully and with magnets of the drains. The only difficult one is the fill on the front diff. I have a drilled, short, 24mm socket that takes a 3/8” breaker bar. Maybe there’s a SST for if, but I don’t know and couldn’t find anything else to fit. You can get the crush washers in packs of 10 from Toyota. Full oil change will use all 10.

Are you also doing coolant?

HTH!!

NickZ likes this post

Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

Changing the oils. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing the oils.   Changing the oils. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2023 8:46 pm

Thanks, that helps a lot.

I've got no owners manual/ instruction booklet apart from some ancient crusty thing that doesn't apply to my van when it comes to the engine and drive train.

I'm not doing the coolant or the brake fluid as it's been done recently ( as has the ATF and engine oil but it's getting done again ) and I just wanted to do the rest to get it all at a starting point so I know where I am. Unfortunately there's no chance of me buying in bulk I can't carry all that around with me on my travels... But I'll take a couple of oil filters just in case they're not available.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changing the oils. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing the oils.   Changing the oils. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing the oils.
Page 1 of 1