Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Battery light and three yellow lights on

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Deeping st James
Registration date : 2016-07-19

Battery light and three yellow lights on Empty
PostSubject: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 6:33 pm

1994 super custom ltd
3.0td auto
Miles. Unknown

Disconnected battery for a few days . . Connected up last night. Stared and drove twenty miles to work no issues whatsoever. It's my daily drive so usually does twenty miles each way with no issues and has done for past two years.

Got in to work to come home and started fine however the battery light was on permanently. Also three yellow warning lights. The oil light. Can with line underneath. And light either side. Think none looks like the fuel filter water light and other looks like a misshapen radiators.

Car drove spot on started again etc but those four lights remained

I'm thinking bad earth or similar as seems to coincidental to have the three yellow and battery light come on at the same time

Any and all suggestions welcome please

Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 8:58 am

Hey Bigman,

Do you know how old the battery is? Just wondering if it could be getting a little bit tired so a load of the lights have come on at once, including the battery light. Might be worth double checking the earth lead from the battery to the body of the van.

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 9:36 am

Hi Rich

Battery is at least over two years old. It is reading 12.18 off and 12.78 running.

I have checked the 100 amp fuse it's a bugger to get out and seems okay.

I am cleaning up connections etc. May try running a second earth lead from negative battery terminal to body and see how that goes.

Another forum suggested the diode on alternator

Have driven over fifty miles with a couple of engine off and restarts with no apparent detrimental

Also getting a new battery for another car today so may try that to see if it makes a difference.

So annoying as first time anything like this has happened. No lead up to it just fine then the four lights.
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 am

Battery light and three yellow lights on 20180610
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Sorry I thought I'd posted this yesterday LOL:

Your SC is similar to mine I think, but your ECU falls into the 'check the ECU capacitors' age as being pre 1996.

Having said that your lights do not appear to be connected to the ECU. Also I have a switch on my battery and has been switched on and off a few times some days so it's not that.

Could be a fuse - awkward but worth checking the fuses next to your left foot.

The battery lamp indicates low voltage, so simply measure the battery voltage when running.
13.8V and above is fine and not the battery. 14.2V when running is usual.

Today:
Given your voltage readings I'd say you needed a new battery (or a good charge) before you look elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Voltage at battery is 11.58 now reckon it could be alternator

I have checked all fuses. Ones by battery and ones by left foot and all are okay. Even managed to get stuck lol

Was hoping for a simple fix

Also have ran an additional earth from negative battery to body but no difference.
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Just seems so coincidental battery and the three other lights illuminated at exactly the same time. I was sure it was a bad earth. No idea what the right side yellow light is though
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Found it it's the coolant level. Which is spot on as is the oil
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Now cleaning up every earth point I can find driver seat out and second engine cover removed!
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Is this the part number of alternator?Battery light and three yellow lights on 20180611
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Looking for diode pack but don't know which one any ideas?

Thanks for all your help
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 8:47 pm

If you find your model number you can look the parts up here:
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/cartypelist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140

It could be one or more faults but the fact the battery voltage is falling does suggest the alternator.
Mine is here but yours could be different:
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=136&fig=1903

Cross reference the numbers on the image to the list below, then see if they work in a search engine.
For example 27370-75060 might be the brush or the holder, I'm not sure, you may need to take the old one to bits to see,
You can get that bit on amazon BTW
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-27370-75060-Alternator-Holder/dp/B00TNNIDEU

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Brush-Holder-27370-75060-/272391670157
so it looks like a popular part else no one would sell it, so perhaps it's the brushes.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 1:06 pm

The good news is the van is still running, despite all the lights.

GPW advised - "13.8V and above is fine and not the battery. 14.2V when running is usual". It could well be alternator related (under the drivers seat so it gets faffy), however your battery reading is low. Check your battery fluid levels, if any of the cells need topping up the battery is on its way out and is best to replace. If it's that then chances are your alternator is fine.

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Okay this may be a silly question but could loose belt tension on the two belts on alternator produce a lower charge at the battery. Both belts have approx one inch of slack at the alternator? No squeling etc.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Bigman1207
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Update . . Belts tightened no change
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery light and three yellow lights on   Battery light and three yellow lights on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery light and three yellow lights on
Page 1 of 1