Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Empty
PostSubject: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 pm

I'm asking if anyone out there has replaced or removed the sump on their 2.4 LT motor as mine is leaking from porous metal, I've been told that either the engine will need to be puller up of the mounts or the subframe dropped so the sump will squeeze out? neither of which I am looking forward too, so just a shout out there to see if this has been done as is it as bad as I think it will be
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 pm

What neaded is a two post lift makes life easy
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Not got me one of them only driveway and ramps
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Got the sump off my 1993 year 3L 2779cc Camper by carefully jacking the engine up slightly to allow the sump to clear the cross-member. Seal material had gone & there was oil everywhere MOT Failure!
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2018 7:39 pm

JohnHRef999 wrote:
Got the sump off my 1993 year 3L 2779cc Camper by carefully jacking the engine up slightly to allow the sump to clear the cross-member. Seal material had gone & there was oil everywhere MOT Failure!

Good news John, did you loosen engine mounts and other stuff or is there enough wiggle room just hacking the engine
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Had new engine mountings and didn't loosen them.

After getting the sump shield off (12mm AF socket) and taking off the sump bolts (10mm I think- with an extension bar on the ratchet) I carefully hoisted the engine, near point to the gearbox/engine flange until the sump pan slid out to the rear. Porous metal sump? Could be the sealant like mine unless obvious damage/corrosion when you take it off. I think the 2.4ltr is similar to the 2.8ltr sump but am not sure. But you could loosen the engine mountings for added movement. Watch your knuckles!!
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 6:58 am

JohnHRef999 wrote:
Had new engine mountings and didn't loosen them.

After getting the sump shield off (12mm AF socket) and taking off the sump bolts (10mm I think- with an extension bar on the ratchet) I carefully hoisted the engine, near point to the gearbox/engine flange until the sump pan slid out to the rear. Porous metal sump? Could be the sealant like mine unless obvious damage/corrosion when you take it off.  I think the 2.4ltr is similar to the 2.8ltr sump but am not sure. But you could loosen the engine mountings for added movement. Watch your knuckles!!

cheers buddy, mucho appreciated
Back to top Go down
Gonewild
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gonewild

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Queensland, Australia
Model and year : 1992 Custom 4WD
Registration date : 2023-02-16

PostSubject: Re: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2023 5:09 am

Hi, just adding for 2L owners (2.8l diesel) like me, the above applies!

Replacing the oil level gauge I found it had dropped pieces of plastic and metal into the sump. To remove the sump and drain it and re-seal it took my mechanic 4 hours. (Not sure that was worth it, given how the sump and filtering system works, but I now have peace of mind as I barrel down the highway.)

He said he had to jack up the engine to one side to wiggle the sump pan out backwards, after loosening engine mounts. So, yes, just as described above.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BDbe23d5RnJ5m5jGA
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?    2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2.4 LT Sump Removal - Anyone Done It ?
Page 1 of 1