Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Central locking mechanism playing up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Central locking mechanism playing up Empty
PostSubject: Central locking mechanism playing up   Central locking mechanism playing up Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi all,

the auto locking system on my van seems to be playing up. Once the speed goes over 20km/h, then all doors are locked. However, the doors keep on trying to lock even though they are already locked and this results in a (irritating Mad ) persistent clicking sound. Once stopped at the lights, all goes quiet. However, once moving and above 20km/h, the clicking sound starts again. Also, the passenger door seems to be isolated from the central locking. This has happened on the last 5 or 6 trips.

This morning on the way to work, this symptom appeared again. However, after about 10 minutes or so, the incessant clicking had disappeared and the passenger door was locked along with all other doors.

The clicking only appears once the speed is over 20 km/h. It's not practical to drive everywhere at <20 km/h Very Happy to keep me sane...

I don't know what will happen on the way home from work tonight, time will tell.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to look? I'm not that good with electronics, so a trip to an auto electrician may be necessary if it's not a simple fix.

I should mention the van is a 1994 4WD with 1KZ-TE engine.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Central locking mechanism playing up Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 7:37 am

I'd suggest looking at the door lock switch on the driver's door switch pad first.

Most likely is a switch or loose connection on that door as it gets used (slammed) the most.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Central locking mechanism playing up Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 11:56 pm

When I drove home yesterday and to work this morning, all was quiet (touch wood!).

I have noticed that the problem sometimes arises after washing the van at a car wash.

What is the best way to get to the driver's door switch pad should I need to go there in the future?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Central locking mechanism playing up Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 8:16 am

Haven't taken mine off yet, but in my experience of other cars there is a trim surround that unclips (gently with screwdriver/trim pry) and then you can unscrew the panel.

BTW I'd highly recommend you buy a cheap set of trim pliers like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-DOOR-CARD-PANEL-TRIM-CLIP-REMOVAL-PLIERS-UPHOLSTERY-REMOVER-PRY-BAR-TOOL-/380897707960

as the pry tool is plastic coated to not scratch and the pliers themselves are the safe way to remove door cards as Hiace parts are not easily replaceable.

Central locking mechanism playing up S-l500
Back to top Go down
paully

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Vancouver BC
Registration date : 2022-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Central locking mechanism playing up Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 9:04 pm

Hi guys
I joined this forum for exactly this reason ( doors locking while driving )
Was there any resolution to the problem ?
Was it fixed ?

I would love some feedback before pulling the panel off
Cheers
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Central locking mechanism playing up Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 12:00 pm

Hello

I've not experienced this problem (thankfully), but I do have a door issue* and have removed the cards for the moment, (along with most of the trim for other reasons).

If the lock clicking is caused by something that can be cured by taking the door cards off then they are very easy to remove (compared to more modern vehicles). Merlin (also a member here) has uploaded a great YT video, see:

It’s really helpful like all his content. I’d also applaud the comment about getting a trim removal tool set. The above eBay link does not work, but here’s a category search from Machine Mart in the UK (Machine Mart trim removal tools). I’m not posting this to recommend one kit over another nor one shop over any other, but to show the range of tools and kits out there. I have one of the 11-piece sets, but I think I got it online. The kit has been fabulous and has saved all sorts of trim and paint disasters. Fine if you want to just use a screwdriver, but your van or car will soon look like it’s been chewed by an angry dog!

A couple of other thoughts come to mind. Firstly, does the central locking and door locks work properly in the first place? This might seems a bit odd but it’s probably worth going round all the doors and make sure they all unlock and lock properly from both inside and outside and with the remote. I know I have a module issue on a car and when I remote lock it, I don’t get the blink from the indicators that I should. For your Hiace, might it be trying to lock a door that is out of adjustment or needing lubrication? Is the clicking a failure mode or a behaviour spawned from a failure elsewhere? When you get the clicking are all the doors properly locked? I think you need to address this first. Secondly, I wonder if the central locking receives a speed sensor feed? That might account for the speed-related part. There’s a central locking module tucked away someplace (think mine is in the LH B pillar). If you don’t have a wiring and electrical parts manual then download the one from Hiace southeast (https://www.hiacesoutheast.com/hiace-manuals) as it’s by far the best resource I’ve come across and hopefully it will cover your model. The point for the module and wiring is that I’m pretty sure there’s a fuse to the central locking module. Until you can tackle this fully you can probably pull the fuse (provided it doesn’t also run something else important) and the clicking will stop, but you won’t have central locking. This might sound drastic but it might stop further wear and tear on parts and who knows, the manual locking and re-locking might also cure the problem? You might also be able to pull the speed sensor which might give you dumb remote locking rather than the speed sensitive variety?

Hope this helps,

Cheers.

* it might feature in a new post so don’t feel left out, folks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Central locking mechanism playing up   Central locking mechanism playing up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Central locking mechanism playing up
Page 1 of 1