Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

Number of posts : 28
Home City : Vancouver BC Canada
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
30" x 9.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires
4 man Roof Top Tent
Registration date : 2016-04-15

Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Empty
PostSubject: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Does anyone know offhand what size the frost plugs are? I need to install some sort of engine block heater as it's finally getting cold around here...(Vancouver, BC and Whistler, BC).
It's taking a few cranks to get going in the morning, especially if my van has been sitting unused for a week or so.
I have the 3L diesel in my 1991 Hiace 4WD automatic. VIN is LH107 001 4539.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers, Roman
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Roman,

I'm not sure if I can help you but my Hiace (LH118 so pretty similar) was fitted with a electric block heater. It sits in the rear of the engine, just above the transmission. It is reachable if you remove the plate behind the chairs which comes into the cargo space, above the transmission.

The wiring and plugs have a Defa sign on it, so it seems to be a Defa block heater which you maybe can buy new.

You can see it here: http://www.defa.com/en/automotive/warmup/find_your_engine_heater/
It seems to be Defa article number 411147 but that might be for 230V instead of 110V

By the way, 30" tyres? I got something like 29", I have 225/75R16 and that is already at the limits and required body modifications in front.
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
4 man Roof Top Tent

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks for the info about the potential engine block heater.
I will look tonight to see if I have something similar.

My van came with a separate aftermarket small centrifugal coolant booster pump and a separate coolant heater mounted in-line with the rear heater coolant lines on the right side of my van.
But they don't work anymore.

As for my tires...the 30"x9.50x15" BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO tires did require some body modifications...a zip disc to cut out 2" or 3" of the rear bottom corner of both front fender wells. and a little on the front corners. Plus I cranked up the torsion bars about 12 turns each side.

I machined a couple of 1-1/2" thick spacers to and mounted them under the rear coil springs as well.

Totally worth it.

I tried to upload a current picture to my "personal album" here on this forum just for fun.
Cheers, Roman
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 8:00 am

Yeah I pretty much have the same modifications. Did you also remove the plastic container which is around the air filter?
Sometimes it still hits the right front corner.

The rear works even without lift or modifications. However it will soon be lifted too. It is leaf suspension so we are adding another lift. I should be around 2"lift as well, and almost 2" by the tyres too.

My tires are 29.3" by 8.9" so pretty close.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 11:01 am

nikalex wrote:

I machined a couple of 1-1/2" thick spacers to and mounted them under the rear coil springs as well.

I'd be interested in seeing these.
I want another 6-20mm (not sure yet) under mine, I was thinking maybe a disc cut out of sheet rubber might do as I can get that in all sizes.

I use http://postimage.org/ to post pics with, seems to work well.
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
4 man Roof Top Tent

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks for the picture uploading tip.
I will try it.
I will post a picture or sketch of the coil spring block I machined as well soon.

And yes I did remove the big plastic tank that was inside my air box housing as well.
I couldn't see it serving much purpose. Got in the way of the bigger tires once I zip disc'd my body.
Just used a large diameter hose and clamps to bypass it.

Maybe my van picture will work with this link?

https://2img.net/h/s28.postimg.cc/9v97bf4vx/IMG_6654_Resized.jpg

Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
4 man Roof Top Tent

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 am

A couple more camping pics attached

https://2img.net/h/s23.postimg.cc/utfjcune3/IMG_2570.jpg

https://2img.net/h/s24.postimg.cc/iw962qyet/IMG_2450.jpg

https://2img.net/h/s29.postimg.cc/d1ge7b3s7/IMG_7560.jpg

Andonic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 9:23 am

Ah it looks nice and in good condition Smile

The plastic box is there so you can actually take in a couple of liters of water before it goes into the air filter and in the engine. It has drain plugs on the bottom.
I had it removed as well, and I have Toyota snorkel now (drawback is that is kind of noisy)
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
4 man Roof Top Tent

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 pm

So I took the rear "engine cover" off and had a look to see where Hiace4WD seems to have a DEFA engine block heater installed.
It is just above the transmission. In the head just above the transmission there is a large 45.0 mm diameter frost plug. (There is a smaller one a little higher up.)
To measure it accurately I had to pop it out after draining the coolant. It was time for a coolant change anyway as mine was about 3 years old. You have to remove the EGR valve exhaust cross over pipe to have good access to that position. Especially to replace the frost plug squarely.

Trouble is the space that is available for replacing this frost plug with a traditional bent heating element engine block heater is very limited and shallow. That is presumably why Temro doesn't offer a block heater for the 3L diesel engine for this position.
It can't protrude past the frost plug hole more than about 1/2" and must be angled to the right of the block and up a little to fit anything in there at all.

See photo:
https://2img.net/h/s27.postimg.cc/x3o0b1xir/Engine_Rear_IMG_9394.jpg

So I will have to see what I can get that fits in here. This type of immersion block heater is the only worthwhile option in my opinion. Magnetic oil pan heaters seem useless as does the lower rad hose heater style.
Comments?
Cheers,
Roman
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 11:01 am

No further comments Razz

Good that you found it. And I agree that it is probably the best type of heater. However, the others may be sufficient for your use as well? I guess as long as you can get it started?

Because the other type of heaters will be easier to get. You need 110V right?
For 230V you could just order the Defa, not sure if they have anything in 110V

Also, please note that you can buy diesel heaters which will heat coolant and pump around. That heats the engine nicely and also the interior if you like. It does not need a 110V socket, it works on the battery power.
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
4 man Roof Top Tent

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 6:16 pm

I do have 240volt as well at my house.
I have an outlet nearby that charges my electric
So I could use 120 volt or 240 volt single phase power.

I may order a DEFA European heater anyway!

Cheers,
Roman
Back to top Go down
Bullwinkle

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Truckee
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 07, 2023 4:08 am

Did you end up with a good solution for this? I'm starting to have cold start issues for the first time and I'm looking for insight about this frost plug option. Is it viable? Did it work for you?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???   Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frost plug size for a 1991 diesel 3L engine???
Page 1 of 1