Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

Number of posts : 65
Home City : London
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Cruising Cabin 1994
Registration date : 2012-08-15

dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Empty
PostSubject: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi,

slowly fixing my toy before the big trip....
New issue with the dashboard :

When I turn the key, I only get the gearbox light, the oil one, hand brake and door indicator. That's it, no more ignition coil light or t belt or battery.
When the engine runs, everything goes out and looks fine.

Annoying thing is when I release the hand brake, the light on the dash disappears but a very annoying alarm comes in......
After the next stop, I was not able to restart the engine and I had to borrow some cables to start.

Any idea ??

thanks guys !

David
Back to top Go down
leewestuk
leewestuk

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Reading, England
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace "Cruising Cabin"
4x4 2.8D
Registration date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:44 pm

belett0 wrote:
Hi,

slowly fixing my toy before the big trip....
New issue with the dashboard :

When I turn the key, I only get the gearbox light, the oil one, hand brake and door indicator. That's it, no more ignition coil light or t belt or battery.
When the engine runs, everything goes out and looks fine.

Annoying thing is when I release the hand brake, the light on the dash disappears but a very annoying alarm comes in......
After the next stop, I was not able to restart the engine and I had to borrow some cables to start.

Any idea ??

thanks guys !

David

Hi David,

Is it a pop top by any chance?

Mine had this alarm issue, there is a sensor on each side of the pop top roof (a little rubber switch that pushes in when the roof is closed, it sits on each side of the van behind the locking roof clips.

I sorted it by just packing out the top of the switch with some folded up cardboard so that it depresses when the roof is closed.

The alarm is just intended to warn you that the roof is not properly closed.

Unless yours is not a pop top in which case I'm not sure! Perhaps there is another contact sensor somwhere (maybe the sliding door)

Cheers

Lee
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:57 pm

thank you Lee !
We have the exact same one with pop top roof.
I did the same thing and it works ! That was so annoying !!!! thank you so much Very Happy

we still have our dead alternator, toyota france should get the part this friday.....fingers crossed, we've been waiting sooo long for this.

I see yours is also from 1994, do you have any advice about what to check or replace before a very long trip ?
We have 82000 miles on the clock, and we're planning to do the same in one year and a half.
Already did the timing belt, accessory belts, brakes, filters, radiator, engine and gearbox drain. Rear wiper was also hard to find in france Very Happy

cheers !

David
Back to top Go down
leewestuk
leewestuk

4x4 2.8D

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:29 pm

David,

No problems at all, glad to help Smile

We do have the same model! Smile

Hope your new alternator arrives soon.

We did a 1,800 mile trip across France at the end of last year, things I'd recommend checking (Other than what you have done already) are:

- There are some coolant pipes behind the front bumper which commonly corrode (some on the right when looking at the vehicle from the front, which carry engine coolant, and some on the left which carry transmission fluid to the oil cooler (mounted horizontally). These were really corroded on ours and both sides developed leaks. I could not source replacements for the metal pipes, so I had them cut out and replace with rubber hoses of the same diameter. You can see the pipes if you look carefully throught he front bumper grill using a torch.

- If yours has the small door on the side on hinges which covers the leisure battery compartment and electric hookup, check the hinges! Mine were rusted through and broke when we were away. I've since replaced them with some similar hinges from Ebay (whilst I was away I secured it with cable ties!)

- Have you checked the radiator cap (radiator valve)? I had problems with mine recently, it failed and caused an overheat - yours may have been replaced if you have changed the Radiator I guess! Check if its corroded or damaged inside... For the £12 they cost, might be worth taking a spare with you

By the way, where did you source a replacement radiator from? Or did you just drain and flush the existing one?

All the best

Lee
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 pm

thanks, that's useful !
I will have a look at these pipes tomorrow, hopefully they're fine :p I did a huge cleanup on the battery door, should do the trick.
Regarding the radiator cap, is it the part 16401-71010 ? (http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199407_TOYOTA_HIACE_LH119V-RRPES_1603.7.html?hl=16401)
I have to replace this one.

I didn't find a new rad, only did a flush with some radweld ( but on a different thread, Clive mentioned to use something else, and radweld may jam the waterpump, so I will flush it again, I'm getting nervous with these stuff...)
Last thing, do you know how to access to the head lights ?? I saw a post about that but ours is a bit different....

thanks again !

David

Back to top Go down
leewestuk
leewestuk

4x4 2.8D

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Fingers crossed they are ok! Smile

16401-71010 is the one yep!

Ah yes Clive's a nice chap, gave me some good advice Smile

Headlights is a bit odd on ours (if its the same as mine):

You have to remove the screws on the back of the indicators (inside the van on the front door pillars)

Then the sidelights - held in by one screw behind the indicator that holds the trim that the sidelight is set in to - think you push them forward from behind too.

Then the screws that hold the top of the grill/front panel on (on the end of the thin bits that go over the headlights) once you've removed the screws the rest of the grill is held in by a row of about 5 plastic clips along the bottom of the grill so you have just got to pull carefully.

Once the grill is off there are just four bolts for the headlights.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lee
Back to top Go down
belett0
Not so new now
Not so new now
belett0

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:48 pm

thanks for that, I owe you one !
This is really the toyota way to replace a bulb :p

all the best !

David
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks for the tip about the pop top. Perhaps that has been the source of the alarm in my camper.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 am

Some have a plate in the footwell that is directly behind the head/fog light, allows bulb removal.
Back to top Go down
dogfood_silo4
dogfood_silo4

Number of posts : 5
Home City : Newport
Model and year : 97 3.0TD Super Custom Pop Top
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 2:01 pm

The pop top tip fixed my (beeeeeep) issue too, thanks so much, I was pulling my hair out!

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t2495-hand-brake-alarm-beeeeeep#13561
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm   dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dashboard light issue and hand brake alarm
Page 1 of 1