Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to adjust up the hand brake?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ridgelineadventures

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Wanaka, New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-05-11

How to adjust up the hand brake? Empty
PostSubject: How to adjust up the hand brake?   How to adjust up the hand brake? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 1:43 am

Any advice on how to adjust the hand brake would be appreciated
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust up the hand brake?   How to adjust up the hand brake? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:00 am

First of all make sure the rear brake shoes are in proper adjustment with the drums - this may need taking the drums off to manually adjust them to just contact the drums.
Then adjust the cable by theaded adjuster under the van. You might find the adjustment ok after resetting the rear shoes...............
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust up the hand brake?   How to adjust up the hand brake? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:25 am

Under the van on mine there are three adjuster points....centre cable, + left and right cables......the shoes (left an right) should be self adjusting.
I never used to use the handbrake due to park facility on autobox. Now I always do after a cable corroded in its sheath and the drums had some self adjuster probs. Using the handbrake encourages the self adjusters to work properly........
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust up the hand brake?   How to adjust up the hand brake? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 4:42 pm

That was my point chris - but better put!.....................self adjusters don't always work as they should and people then adjust the handbrake cable first - that then gives an ineffctive handbrake because it has to take up the shoe clearance first making the handbrake "feel" good but it's ineffective.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust up the hand brake?   How to adjust up the hand brake? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Suppose another point to clarify is how many clicks on the rachet should the handbrake cable pull.
My understanding on these vans is never less than 7...but around 9 is fine....
Any other views....?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to adjust up the hand brake?   How to adjust up the hand brake? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to adjust up the hand brake?
Page 1 of 1