Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Scallywag

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Registration date : 2011-06-09

Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Empty
PostSubject: Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace   Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 5:59 am

Hi folks, I was researching this vehicle on the internet and stumbled across you Hiace junkies. I live in Tamarindo, Costa Rica, where half the year is HOT and DUSTY. The other half is HOT and HUMID. I'm in need of a vehicle for transporting tourists/clients to the airport and also (more importantly) to hunt down good waves.

Here she is...
Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Screenshot20110608at103

Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Screenshot20110608at104

Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Screenshot20110608at105

Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Screenshot20110608at105e

Its a 92, 2400cc diesel (no turbo) I know she isn't going to break any land speed records but I don't care. The "roads" here, for lack of a better word, suck. Half the time, this vehicle will be going slow on dirt roads.

I am driving an hour and a half tomorrow morning to see it for the first time in person. The question is, What should I look for? I am open to any sound advice. Thanks in advance....
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace   Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 am

Check/ask when was the timing belt last changed, coolant any leaks when was it last changed.
If in doubt change them.
Change oil every 5000KMS.

Other than that usual used car checks - bangs knocks clunks whines etc.

Best of luck
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

Number of posts : 101
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace   Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 4:14 am

nice looking beast. Also look at the coolant to make sure it's not rusty and has the proper mix. Check the transmission fluid to see that it's been changed recently (every 40,000 Km was recommended to me)Here we use RED

-back hatch closes properly
-skid/bash plates are intact
-4wd works if it has it

look under passenger seat to see if there is a motor there- check oil
drive up a steep long hill with the petal to the floor and watch the temp gauge if it moves up past 3/4, stop and let the engine cool down. I don't drive in a climate like Costa Rica and don't have a 2.4 but from my understanding they appear to overheat easier than other Toyota diesels.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace   Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 11:58 pm

It's got to be good mate it's red . I think the list has been covered.. Hope it works out well for you.
Back to top Go down
Scallywag

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Registration date : 2011-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace   Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys! Well I bought the van. Drove her from the Caribbean side to the Pacific coast. She drove fine the hole way. Besides being a bit slow, she drives beautifully. Didn't have any issues until....

Yesterday afternoon, I was taking a client from the airport to Playa Negra with both a'c's blasting and notice she was getting a bit hot. Looks like the heater hose is about to pop. It has bulged out to a point where it is touching the fan (that can't be good)

I am taking her in tomorrow to replace hose, flush the radiator, change oil/filters. Looks like the timing belt needs to be replaced too. We'll see how she does after that.

BTW, its not red, its "vino", thats what I told the wife anyways...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace   Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Probably purchasing this 92' Toyota Hiace
Page 1 of 1