Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engel fridge power consumption

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jbond
Jbond

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Lyme Regis
Registration date : 2009-08-15

Engel fridge power consumption Empty
PostSubject: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi all,

98 SC LWB basic camper van by Buccantches. It has a top loading built in Engel fridge about 680 L x 410 W x 470 D and I want to find out the wattage or power consumption for this unit. I have tried Engel but they don't any longer make a similar model and weren't too helpful. I reckon it's about 35w but there's no rating plate in English to see. Written on the swing arm compressor is:
Mode SKS611M....Lot 96 2 12....HFC 134a.....Type 46G.....

Really grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
Julian
Back to top Go down
anthonyj
Not so new now
Not so new now
anthonyj

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Nottingham UK
Model and year : SC cruising cabin 1997
Registration date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Would it be possible to measure it in some way? ie switch off all other drains on battery and use some kind of meter - or alternatively just run the fridge from a fully charged leisure battery and see what you get?

The fridge is probably the biggest drain on mine - but its really efficient - keeps the beers nice and cold - although last week when it was hot I only got about 4 hours before the battery was starting to struggle.

You could try asking on out and about forum for info on how to calculate - the MMM technical guru seems to know what he is talking about - all a bit beyond me, I just want to know if the beer will be cold when I get to it.....
Back to top Go down
Jbond
Jbond

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Anthony

Thanks for the reply. There's a wiring fault between alternator and leisure battery so i can't charge the leisure battery (except with battery charger). What I want to do is assess the maximum current draw so I can get a Photovoltaic panel big enough to run fridge from leisure battery. Hence the need to know. I only need a rough figure but it needs to be the maximum likely draw. What's yours use? And how big is the fridge?

Cheers
J
Back to top Go down
anthonyj
Not so new now
Not so new now
anthonyj

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 am

I don't know, I will have a look and see if can find out for you.

Do you mean a solar panel to charge the leisure battery? If so I am not sure that even a fairly large one would do the trick -the fridge is a beast for draining current.

Does it charge ok if you are on hook up?

Would it not be cheaper and better to sort the wiring fault and charge from the engine?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 5:48 pm

You may get the info required from the archives/or forum poster at the 'sbmcc'
(self build motor caravan club).
Worth a try anyway......
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Had a quick search on the net and can't find your model...there's this though..
http://www.roadtrucker.com/engel/engel-12-volt-fridge-freezer-technical.html
I seem to recall the basic technology has'nt changed much...the amps (current draw per hour) are important...(as is the lid seal) ....its going to be below 4 amps anyway.....so discharging an good 80 amp battery to 50% would take 10 hrs+.........
But in real terms (unless you are using it as a deep freeze I'd bet it would dram 1.5 amps (guess) so the 10 hrs + would be more like 25+ hrs without a recharge..........
The 134a is the refridgerant type.......Good luck with the search....maybe a licenced repairer/parts supplier will have the specs.............
Back to top Go down
anthonyj
Not so new now
Not so new now
anthonyj

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 am

I had a word with Dave at Poplar Motors where I bought mine and he thinks the older type Engels draw 5A - newer types apparently draw a lot less but cost about £400.

My engel is about 35l I would think and it will drain my 110A leisure battery in a few hours on a hot day if I don;t do the tips I suggest below.

1. Make sure everything already cold when you load fridge
2. Also put in frozen ice blocks from coolbox if room or freeze a litre or two of water or juice - you can always drink it when it thaws. Sometimes we put frozen meat in and eat it on day 2 of a camping trip.
3. Don't open box unnecessarily (always take two beers out at once!!)
4. Always park in the shade when you can

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Jbond
Jbond

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi Anthony and Chris

Thanks so much for your help. The idea was to get a 20-40 watt solar panel, run that into a 110 amp battery during the day (fridge is a bit annoying when on at night) with the cost of the solar panel being not much more than we'd probably have to pay to get the wiring fault sorted.

The van doesn't have a UK hook up but when the battery has been charged from a mains charger the fridge runs fine and on for about 2 hours a day doesn't seem to take too much from the battery. There is a guauge (volts?) which shows how much charge there is in the battery but I have trouble working out any reliable info from it.

Anthony the guy at poplar said 5a right? That seems horribly high! I don't know what I am talking about with these things but it would be amazing that they used to draw 5a whereas the newer models - even much bigger than mine - dont seem to draw anything like that. I hope he's wrong!!

Chris I reckoned as I guess it might be 2a max. So I may take a chance and get the panel on that basis. The guy who sold us the van (a dealer...) told us all the elecs worked fine and that he had put in a new leisure battery - all lies I am afraid!
Thanks again ,
Julian
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:05 pm

Its a few years since I frequented the sbmcc website....there was a lot of info on solar panels, regulators etc......
I'd get the highest rated panel (size and price wise) you can.
If you don't have a multimeter with a shunt/amperage facility....maybe a friendly auto electrician may measure the current draw for you?....bear in mind though that if its thermostatically controlled, the motor will not be running all the time....so the average draw will be much less......ie: 1/2 the amp draw or less depending on external temp, whats in the cooler, the lid seal etc....
You may struggle to keep the battery topped up on solar power alone...but if you have a split charge system... running the van regularly will keep it topped up
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:25 am

Quote :
I had a word with Dave at Poplar Motors where I bought mine and he thinks the older type Engels draw 5A - newer types apparently draw a lot less but cost about £400.

thanks for the info...anthonyj had been thinking there was a problem with my fridge as it had been draining the leisure battery much quicker than the previous fridge on my bongo.... but obviously it was a much newer version.... I carry a suitcase generator with me to top the leisure battery and do similar
preps.. ie..cool beer before placing it in the fridge.... I also fill the fridge the night before leaving, put the van on hook up over night with fridge turned up full then turn it down before leaving ..this is obviously if I'm wild camping...on site with hook up I dont give a s**t.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
anthonyj
Not so new now
Not so new now
anthonyj

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Julian

If you bought from a dealer there should be some warranty for repairs?

Dave at Poplar motors gave me 3 months warranty and he was brilliant with any teething faults I had - he replaced the diesel heater, battery charger and roof window all with brand new, no quibble and no cost. Got the van sorted out properly during the warranty and I have had no trouble since. If you are ever up this way (he is in Chesterfield) you should take the van in for him to look at it - I can't believe a new cable couldn't be run to your leisure battery cheaper than a solar panel! Also I think it would be a better solution to charge from the engine while you are moving. You could run the fridge while travelling then without any issue.
Back to top Go down
Jbond
Jbond

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Thanks again Chris, Anthony and Jim. A reputable dealer like Poplar would have been great. Unfortunately the s**t we bought ours from (beware anyone buying a vehicle from a Poole dealer!!) told us so many lies we only realised about most of them after the warranty had elapsed.
Anthony I think you're right about running a cable to the leisure battery but the garages round here mostly couldn't give a to** about the work. Despite the recession they have plenty of work and can't really be ar**d with something like this.
Thanks to all for your help.
Julian
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 pm

Quote :
I think you're right about running a cable to the leisure battery
A basic split charge system is pretty cheap....try motor caravan dealer accessory shops.
If you are fitting yourself the 'sbmcc' used to have a lot of info....not wanting to plug the website particularly ...have'nt visited for years...but there was a wealth of info for diy motorcaravan type stuff.......
Back to top Go down
jimsmim
Been here a while
Been here a while
jimsmim

Number of posts : 188
Home City : paisley
Model and year : VW TRANSPORTER T5 LWB poptop camper
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Jbond this mob are kind of in your area ...they deal in bongos but have sold hiaces in the past and should be able to help you .http://www.bellhillgarage.com
Back to top Go down
Jbond
Jbond

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks Jim - I'll give them a try.
Back to top Go down
anthonyj
Not so new now
Not so new now
anthonyj

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 11:40 am

You could try auto electricians as opposed to garage or even motorhome/caravan dealers who fit accessories. Failing that mobile mechanics? You might be able to find someone who is setting up in business and needs the work.

Its a shame you have had so much trouble - but at least you blame the dealer not the vehicle - these are fantastic vehicles when you get them right. I think they knock spots off any European spec camper of similar value.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Jbond
Jbond

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Anthony

Yes it's a great vehicle - we're pleased with it and I am sure I can get this sorted somehow.

Cheers for your help,
julian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engel fridge power consumption   Engel fridge power consumption Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engel fridge power consumption
Page 1 of 1