Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hezza789

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Christchurch
Registration date : 2023-11-22

Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel Empty
PostSubject: Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel   Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel Icon_minitimeWed Nov 22, 2023 7:59 pm

Hi guys. Recently picked up this 94 supercustom. 3L diesel, 4wd, 247000kms. For the most part it's excellent, but in the last 3 days it's developed an issue which I'm looking for some advice on!

The last 3 mornings it's really struggled to start. It turns over and takes a bit of persuasion, and then when it does start it starts with a big puff of black smoke and then I need to keep the revs up or it'll stall. The smoke stays back until the temp has lifted off the bottom of the temp gauge.

I'm thinking it may be glow plugs. The light flashes on when I turn the ignition on but goes out pretty quickly. Is there a relay for that I can check? I've tried glowing it a few times but it doesn't really help. Any other suggestions as to what may be the issue are welcomed!

This is my first diesel so I'm not that clued up. Thanks
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel   Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 5:24 pm

I think black smoke is most likely from the fuel not burning properly from having the wrong fuel air mix so could even be something simple like the air filter, you could try putting some fuel additive in the tank to clean the injectors too.

However it can also be a compression issue which is more serious like a piston ring so check you're not losing/ burning oil that could be an indication of something not so simple to fix.

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 279
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel   Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 5:29 pm

Might be worth checking for vacuum leaks too. See if a local place will do a smoke test,
Back to top Go down
Hezza789

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Christchurch
Registration date : 2023-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel   Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 7:58 pm

Thank you. I'd just like to stress it's only first thing in the morning when it's been sat over night. It starts multiple times during the day a absolutely fine and I've also had a mate drive it up a hill and there's no back smoke when it goes up a hill 🤔
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel   Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2023 9:02 pm

This has a whole load of stuff about glow plug testing.. https://www.workshopservicemanual.com/m0072151-toyota-hiace-h100-1989-2004.html

Back to top Go down
DMB

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Seal Beach
Registration date : 2024-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel   Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 4:10 am

Put all new glow plugs in, don't forget a little anti seize on the threads. If you still have problems have the injectors rebuilt. I could go farther but sounds like GP's
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel   Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rough start up when cold. 3l diesel
Page 1 of 1