Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cold start problem

Go down 
+3
chrisandhiace
Clive
simongd
7 posters
AuthorMessage
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : Looking for my next
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 8:37 pm

I am having cold start problems. Takes 2 or 3 goes to fire up and when it does it is quite rough. When it is warm its fine. and warm starting is fine too.
Any ideas what this might be?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Cold start system not working
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Glow plug/s or circuit to?
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

The four heater plugs are ok as is the cold start heater (I assume the one in the inlet manifold).

Because it has been standing around for a while, yesterday it dawned on me that the fuel in the tank is summer diesel. I ran a gallon of winter fuel and a bottle injector cleaner through the filter and pump. Will try it tomorrow if it is improved at all.
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

Number of posts : 150
Home City : SYDNEY
Model and year : 99 LIMITED 2000 UPDATE
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:42 am

I'm having the same problem ATM, if it's smoking on start up then it's a leaking injector. I'm putting up with it for now coz I can't take it off the road right now but will have them recoed and that should fix it.
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:34 am

leaking injecor? where does it leak?

I was wondering if it could be an injector as I dropped one but managed to catch it between my feet before it hit the deck. Maybe I damaged it after all.

How much are new injectors or to have them reconditioned if that is possible?

It is smoky on start up and very smelly too.

Can anyone reccomend an injector specilist in liverpool/ St Helens area?
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

Number of posts : 150
Home City : SYDNEY
Model and year : 99 LIMITED 2000 UPDATE
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 am

I'm in Oz so can't help you with where but it drips slowly into the cylinder over night and when you start it in the morning it coughs up the exess fuel then its ok. Try starting it then turn it off after a minute and see if it starts easily before it warms up then you'll know if its leaking.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 7:27 pm

This mob look good in Aus. http://www.dencodiesel.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?page=store&idProduct=296&idCategory=109
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am

If you dont mind posting stuff off diesel bob can do this.He is based near longridge preston. http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/injectors.shtml
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 6:15 am

I was talking with a friend last night and he says the pump is out of timing by a tooth. Hard to start but will run once going and gives out alternate black and blue/white clouds of smoke from exhaust. These are the symptoms. He told me about the smoke before I told him it was doing that. Maybe have time to check the timing after work before it gets dark (finish @ 2pm). If thats all that is wrong its not bad for a first atempt at changing a cylinder head for a non mechanic. Cold start problem 183673
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 8:47 am

Ah right did not realise you had done the head, yes i agree with his diagnosis.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 8:18 pm

You have done well.. With the old in line mechanical pumps you could spill time using top dead centre and crack the injector line but with this new stuff ???  I'm getting close to timing belt time myself and not looking forward to it..
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks AussieQ, it was a daunting job to start with and I was thinking am I doing the right thing, but if I had it done at a garage it wouldn't have been worth it. At the same time I didn't want to shell out for a new SC and inherit a new set of problems; so I took the plung.

I found out the problem with the start. I followed the torque spec for the leak back pipe in the 2LTE manual, but at this pressure it crushed the poor little washers. It was so tight I had to cut off the pipe in sections and take out the injectors in 2 halfs. Now I have had the injectors reconditioned, new leak back pipe and washers it starts fine. This time I tightened up the leak back pipe by feeling the tightness if the bolt. Starts and runs fine now.

There is a small leak coming through the thread where the injectors go into the head this is dispite replacing the seats. I couldn't take out the old heat shields (thats the small washer that sits at the bottom of the injector) though, they seem to be squashed in tight, so maybe there lies the problem. I will leave it a while see if it beds in and seals, otherwise I shall have to find a way of removing the copper heat shields or put back the original seats.

Thanks all for your advice.
Back to top Go down
BeratE

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Portland, OR, USA
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 6:27 pm

Any update on your issue (has it since completely solved your issue)? I have a very similar issue that is not yet resolved. When yours was cold and ran rough in the beginning, did it only seem to last for maybe a minute and a half? For the first minute and a half, my engine runs really rough and then if I give it a little blip of the throttle, it clears up and idles smoothly. Also it will randomly stutter and cough out a puff of white smoke. Bad injector maybe?
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 am

Sorry guys for not updating for a while.

Well, since my last update, it doesn't run fine actually. I am having the continuing problem of rough when cold and fine when warm. Cold start system is fine, infectors are recondidtioned. I may be going to Manchester on Sat to a friend to check the fuel pump timing and do a compression test. He says there could be a valve sticking open when cold then with the heat frees itself. The head is under warrenty so it may mean being without a car for a couple of weeks again.

Fortunalty I don't need the car daily and once it is going seems to be ok so is usable.

I have been trying to find a place I can hire a diesel compression test kit in Liverpool or Manchester without succsess.

Anyone here know where I might get one?

BeratE these are the same symptoms as I have. I hope you get to the bottom of your problems. If you have done some work on your SC and it was fine before then double check your work. It is also easy to disturbe something while working on something else, so have a look around the engine bay for split/loose fitting vac hoses.

Simon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cold start problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold start problem   Cold start problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold start problem
Page 1 of 1