Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving

Go down 
+6
CustardCrazy
imants
JT69
AgathaAlice
GPW
kelt2
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 68
Home City : portland
Registration date : 2018-08-28

1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Empty
PostSubject: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Ive had hiace super customs for 11yrs now - in australia and now usa.  I recently upgraded my 93 2wd gasser to a 95 4wd diesel.
Had the timing belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, thermostat, glow plugs, fuel oil and air filters changed, full oil change, and new AT tires.

Flew to pick the van up, drove 8hrs forst day..... next morning wouldnt start.  Took 10 min and 6-8 tries before i got it to go - then a cloud of smoke from the diesel deposited in the exhaust system.

Same thing next day and the one after til i finally got home  (18hrs drive altogether).  I never got to cold start the vehicle at pick up as it had been taken for the tire install that morning.

Van drives smooth, idles at 700-800rpm.

Yesterday i changed the battery from the exsisting 720cca to a 850cca as the crank was slow to nothing now hoping that would solve the problem.

Glow plugs are getting power - tested all yesterday and they read 12.4v each and 1.2-1.8 ohms.

Glow plug light on dash goes out in less than 0.5 sec when i put key in, but i think i hear the relay turn off several seconds after that (little click).

Ive never had a diesel before, and my mechanical knowledge is somewhat limited in regards to confidently pulling things apart myself.

I went looking for the g.p relay yesterday which i know is somewhere behind the glove compartment but i couldnt locate it.   But could it even be this if the plugs are getting power?

Help a diesel newbie!  I dont want to be attempting to start this multiple times every time i need to use it incase im damaging something1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving 20210310
1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving 20210311
1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving 20210310
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 3:12 pm

1. Check the fuel priming button for leaks, it's possible it's finding difficulty getting fuel from the tank.
When cold, slip off the fuel pipe from the filter/pump outlet and pump into a jar, just to see it gets through easily, and that the pump has no air leaks.

2. The ECU capacitors are known to degrade and leak (In left hand door pillar just above battery box, see if you can get a competent tech. to change them out. Look for my thread with details about this.

Other general things are glowplug checks, glowplug relay etc. Note that the glowplug light flicks on quickly, but in reality the glowplugs heat up for longer, listen carefully and you'll hear the relay click out. Only then, try to start.
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 3:20 pm

hi, as i said, i checked the g.p already and wrote V and ohms in post, and couldnt locate the relay etc i also mentioned the click etc in the OP
also as before my mechanical knowledge is limited. VERY. i have no idea where a fuel primer is, what it looks like, how to get to it etc. :/
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 pm

In your engine bay picture, look at the bottom, go 70% of the way to the RHS, and there it is!
It has a button you can press to prime the fuel. The fuel filter lives below it.

kelt2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 3:44 pm

I get the white cloud out the exhaust from diesel deposited during the 5 to 6 start up attempts each morning - it dissipates within 5secs or so of starting. it's warm out today too. sunny 15c/60f.

I also had paid for a pre purchase inspection from a third party mechanic so I don't know why he didnt spot any issues.

could the new g.ps be bad?
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 12:29 am

in addition i also checked how long they hold the charge. So i tested the rail / busbar today and it read 11.2 volts, turned the key to 'on' and the 11.2 held for about 5 secs before dropping to 7v then down to zero. the drop was pretty fast.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 3:22 am

Vague thought, has the wire come off of any of the temperature sensors? Or with all that work you had done did they forget to put any connections back on? That glowplug light seems a bit quick to me so maybe it thinks the engine is already hot when it isn't?
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 3:36 am

I have no idea. i wouldnt know where to look. The voltage test shows theyre getting power for at least 5-6 secs though
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 12:43 pm

AgathaAlice wrote:
Vague thought, has the wire come off of any of the temperature sensors? Or with all that work you had done did they forget to put any connections back on? That glowplug light seems a bit quick to me so maybe it thinks the engine is already hot when it isn't?

My glowplug light only flicks on for a second or two: but the relay takes a lot longer.
I've no idea why it does this, but it seems to be a 1kz-te feature.
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 1:11 pm

GPW wrote:
AgathaAlice wrote:

My glowplug light only flicks on for a second or two: but the relay takes a lot longer.
I've no idea why it does this, but it seems to be a 1kz-te feature.

Yeah the glow plug light turns right off on mine, but the volts take 6 secs or so to drop (according to the multimeter)
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 1:44 pm

can anyone direct me to the location of the CTS so i can unplug it and see if makes a diff to starting up?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 2:50 pm

What is a CTS?
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 2:55 pm

coolant temperature sensor. Im literally clutching at straws lol.

im going to change the glow plugs out again on thurs also.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Ah I see.
I think there is more than one coolant sensor. One is a switch, disconnect it and the fan spins on the horizontal rad.
Another appears to be just for the gauge.

I've never discovered where the one for the ECU is. But you may be able to find it?

1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving 1kz 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving 1-KZ-TE-ECU-Plugs 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving 1-KZ-TE-ECU-Wiring

1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Sh17 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving WIRING-DIAGS

kelt2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 4:01 pm

My glow plugs stay on after starting never timed it but must be all of 60 seconds but only when engine is cold so must have a temp sensor somewhere. Can be sure of this because I run on 90% wvo and it misfires when cold when glow plugs cut out so I turn engine of and back on then perfect , conclusion would be your glow plug control is faulty either temp sensor or relay.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 5:07 pm

One think I do on a peugeot, which seems to have very 'thick' glowplugs, is let the glowplugs have 2 or 3 warmups before I try to start the engine: they don't get hot enough after one warmup. In summer it's fine.

Worth a try to see if it affects the starting.
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:02 pm

GPW wrote:
One think I do on a peugeot, which seems to have very 'thick' glowplugs, is let the glowplugs have 2 or 3 warmups before I try to start the engine: they don't get hot enough after one warmup. In summer it's fine.

Worth a try to see if it affects the starting.
This is what i tried initially doing this 10 times or so til i hear the relay turn off after 6 secs each time and it does nothing Sad
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:06 pm

JT69 wrote:
My glow plugs stay on after starting never timed it but must be all of 60 seconds but only when engine is cold so must have a temp sensor somewhere. Can be sure of this because I run on 90% wvo and it misfires when cold when glow plugs cut out so I turn engine of and back on then perfect , conclusion would be your glow plug control is faulty either temp sensor or relay.      

The relay is working fine.  But it turns off after 6 secs.  In the hiace service manual i think it said theyre timed for 6 secs but i coud be wrong.  I cant get the service manual to load as the internet is terrible as work
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:37 pm

When it eventually starts, what colour is the cloud of smoke?

I'm trying to think of things. To start a diesel needs compression, fuel and a hot glowplug.
Not sure if the timing matters to start it.

If the smoke is black (or white) it's probably diesel, blue is oil.
Coolant level is fine? Check expansion tank for that.
How many miles on it?
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 1:18 am

GPW wrote:
When it eventually starts, what colour is the cloud of smoke?

I'm trying to think of things. To start a diesel needs compression, fuel and a hot glowplug.
Not sure if the timing matters to start it.

If the smoke is black (or white) it's probably diesel, blue is oil.
Coolant level is fine? Check expansion tank for that.
How many miles on it?
 its just a touch of white from the diesel deposited from the mutiple attempts.

Its not a head gasket - ive already had one of those on previous van so i know lol.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 7:34 am

There is a temp sensor on the ip pump .
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 7:44 am

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F379647639147731%2Fposts%2F1kz-te-injector-pump%2F648716075574218%2F&psig=AOvVaw0Q5TmqOmEd19O4AQr5ru6k&ust=1616658244955000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPil0oC5yO8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAF
Link for sensor on IP pump
Back to top Go down
imants
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 35
Home City : Tokyo
Model and year : Super Custom 2004
1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 am

Im thinking you might want to double check the glow plug resistance.  You wrote that you measured 1.2-1.8 ohms on your GP.

From memory I had my good ones measuring around 0.7 ohms and factory spec is 0.72ohms @ 20C.  Anything about 1 ohm would be no good.  

If you have time, then look up on internet 1KZ-TE engine manual and find section about glow plugs there.  There you will have factory specs for glow plug resistance and how to test them.  I can provide the pdf file, but I am sure what is correct etiquette to do that on forum.  Perhaps someone can advice.

Everything else failing, remove glow plugs and attach them all in series and test them visually by glowing them about 10sec.  In 10 sec time they should be almost white from heat.  Just make sure you DO NOT test them directly from battery as that will give to many volts.  From memory HiAce I think has glow plug circuit on 11 volts for some reason.  Have your test rig rigged in a way that you feed power from original glow plug wire powering the glow plugs in engine.

I had whitish/grayish smoke when 2 of my glow plugs were not working properly for about 30-60sec when starting cold engine...
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 9:54 am

Interesting, the OP measured 12.4V at the glowplugs, perhaps 11V was from a tired battery, with connector and wiring losses into 4 at once.

Perhaps using 1m of 6amp mains lighting cord to power them with will simulate the normal resistance between the battery and the plugs.

I don't know how much they cost, but maybe worth fitting new Toyota ones regardless if they are not too expensive, just to eliminate that as an option.
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

Number of posts : 84
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1996 8 seater Super Custom 4WD KZH106
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 am

I have a 96 diesel on which the glow plug current draw is insane. I think the fuse is 160A. On 3degC days I might wait 20 seconds before cranking after turning the ignition on. My understanding is that after starting the glow plugs in these after starting are still on to preheat the incoming air for up to 90 seconds after starting. If I crank too soon (not enough glow time) and it starts it does let out a big cloud of smoke!

kelt2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving   1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1kzte hard start first thing - problem solving
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next