Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear diff oil helllllp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rus100
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Wirral
Registration date : 2022-09-10

Rear diff oil helllllp Empty
PostSubject: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 8:15 am

Can anyone give me a definite answer on what oil is required on my rear diff? I have a 99 plate 3l 1kz super custom 4x4 it has G295 code on the vin
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 279
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 10:38 am

Hi - I've just google-translated the oil page of my drivers manual. It's from a 2001 super custom (the final face-lift) but I don't think it will have changed. The only thing to determine is if you have a limited slip differential.

I saw this post that suggests G295 is an LSD: https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t610-limited-slip

Rear diff oil helllllp Img_0910
Back to top Go down
Rus100
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 12:36 pm

G00se amazing info thank you so much for taking the time to send me this sir so on your sheet the oil is the same weather lsd or not anyway so i couldn't really go wrong ither way…but from the other users post it does suggest my one is a lsd which is good
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 12:41 pm

Stop ! Don't do that ! One says SX and the other says LSD.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 279
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 12:53 pm

I had a quick google and the main thing is GL-5 - that's the spec needed for the conditions inside a differential. So, in terms of spec, a GL-5 with an 85w-90 weight is OK. However, it looks like some are more appropriate for LSDs than others. I'd suggest contacting your local Toyota dealer and seeing if they have any of the LSD oil - or a more recent equivalent.

If not, you could go with a different brand - as the Toyota manual will always suggest a Toyota product - but make sure it's a GL-5 85w/90 and mentions LSD. I think Castol do one.
Back to top Go down
Rus100
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 1:28 pm

NickZ wrote:
am not seeing that ?
Back to top Go down
Rus100
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 1:29 pm

NickZ wrote:
o now am seeing it 😅

g00se, Rus100 and NickZ like this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2023 6:50 pm

Hello Rus100

You can decode the plate (inc diff) on the Hiacesoutheast site; just look it up.

If yours is a LSD (which I think it is) you can either fill with a LSD oil (I use the Castrol one) or a normal oil with a LSD modifier added to it (mix first then add). The modifier smells like old fish but it’s important to use a LSD oil or a modified one otherwise the clutch plates won’t lock properly. If a non-LSD oil has previously been used it’s possible the LSD won’t work properly anyway.

The first post in my show us yours section has a variety of link etc that you might find useful. The Hiacesoutheast is one of the most useful there is, too.

Good luck!

p.s. Love the ransom note-style manual you have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff oil helllllp   Rear diff oil helllllp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear diff oil helllllp
Page 1 of 1