Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Limited slip?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Could anyone tell me for sure if they think my 99 4x4 sc has a limited slip diff?
I thought it did until i played around with it while it was up on a hoist. I got my mate to spin the opposite wheel while i proceeded to hang on to the other wheel quite easily, so if its got the LSD shouldnt this be really hard to hold onto or spin that other wheel.confused
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 9:22 pm

I'm not sure it's that simple. I think what you're testing might work on a two way LSD, the type that locks up on the overrun, changing hard down gears or braking hard into a corner. It's a bit like all that chat the drift racers do about normal LSDs and 2-way LSD's and so on.
To be honest I'm not sure. I think you need to the prop as the input. Try turning the prop and get your mate to hold one wheel and see what happens? I know my 1995 Hiace has a sticker on the axle that says "LSD oil only" and it locks up really well with one wheel on wet grass and the other on a hard surface.
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 8:54 pm

Also check your axle code on the VIN plate against this table
http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=274535

Mine is G295 meaning G=8", 29= 4.1, and the 5=LSD (4 pinion)
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Hay thanks for that link alfazar- as i thought mine doesnt have the LSD I have the G292. Sad looks like it must have been an optional extra.
Back to top Go down
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now
KIWI DAVE

Number of posts : 66
Home City : EASTBOURNE
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM 3.0LT TDI 4WD

Registration date : 2010-01-03

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Guys,

can any body tell me where to locate the vin plate that shows the axle coding as mentioned in Alfazars post. Also has anybody got any further regarding putting difflocks or other modifications on their Super Custom.

I absolutely love my Van and have had no problems with its reliability, the legendary 1KZTE just goes and goes, 200,000k and still uses no oil Very Happy Just frustrated by the 4WD issue and not getting any traction once one of the wheels starts to spin Mad

Cheers Dave
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 1:42 am

Hay Dave, the plate with the axle code and vin number is located under the passenger seat.

Im with you there mate, love my van but would love it even more if it was a more capable 4wd. Some time ago I looked into getting ARB air lockers and found i could get them for the rear but they weren't sure about the front? It would be a matter of pulling the diff centre out and trying to match one up. This is as far as i got because it's a real mission to get to the front diff. Would be a really expensive job to find out that it couldn't be done and there'd be no point in locking rear due to the open centre diff. Would love to see someone do the job though.

I have learnt to put up with it's limitations in 4wd and carry plenty of recovery gear when going bush. Though It still surprises me how well it does for soft roader. Wink
Back to top Go down
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now
KIWI DAVE

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Burnsy,

thanks for the reply, just took a look and mine is a G292 also Sad Like you said I have learned to work within its limitations and have been quite suprised at the places I have been able to go, especially in the snow and ice. On steep icy roads from a standing start it just pulls away no slip no loss of traction Very Happy .

The frustrating thing is when you are camped in a field and it has rained for the last 2 days (british summertime) and then you go to pull away and one wheel spins and then you go immediately from 4WD to NO WD Mad This also makes you a little bit reluctant about going too far down any tracks and into the unknown. Don't get me wrong I am not expecting the off road capability of a Land Cruiser, I would just like to have the confidence to freedom camp in Scotland in the back of beyond on a half decent track or grassy field.

Are the G295 limited slip in both front and rear diffs and if not and only in the rear what is the benefit? Is there any sense in having a locker retro fitted in the rear diff (McNamara type) at least then you would maintain drive to both the rear wheels or am I just dreaming??

Cheers Dave

Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 9:35 am

Yeah i think it would be useless locking the rear diff without locking the front. The problem is that we cant lock the centre diff... so if the front or rear wheels loose traction all the drive goes to that spinning wheel and we go no where. If we lock the rear diff and you loose traction on any of the front wheels the drive will only go to that front spinning wheel... we go no where.

I think the ones with LSD would have it on the front and rear diff's? Would make sense.

You shouldn't have any worries on muddy grass if you just let your tyres down to 18psi, same goes when on soft sand... i have let mine down as low as 12psi to get me out of the softest of sand on Stockton beach. The only time you will have trouble is when your on real uneven ground and start lifting wheels off the ground.

I find the main problem is the lac of ground clearance even with a 2.5'' lift. Oh and no low range gear. Mad

The older part time 4wd SC is totally different, when in 4wd mode the front and rear axles are locked together meaning equal drive through the front and rear diff... so it takes 2 wheels to loose traction before you go no where and if you were to install a rear diff locker it would take 3 wheels to loose traction.

So any way next time try letting your tyres down and you will be totally amazed at how much extra traction you will have.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now
KIWI DAVE

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Burnsy,

Yep know what you are saying, I do like the ability of the older Hiace vans with the low range box and the front and rear locked together. Would consider getting one but have fallen in love with my SC and its higher quality of finish, 3.0lt turbo etc. My SC has had a UK camper conversion done to it with elevating roof. As I have said before it goes like a dream, does'nt use any oil, starts everytime.

I've also done my share of off roading in NZ and have used the tricks of letting air out of the tyres, selecting the right gear and keeping the revs down (a bit hard to do in an auto SC), picking a good line and avoiding the worst part of the track etc. I have put air bags in the rear to cope better with the load of the camper conversion (kitchen, siding bed etc) and can raise or lower it at will.

My next job is to fit a good set of All Terrain tires, General Grabber 215/75/R15 look a good bet and I would like to raise her a bit more but would then not be able to park in many of the U.K car parks that have 2.1m height restrictors Mad

Cheers Dave Very Happy
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah i wouldn't give mine up for the older hiace either. Dave the all terrain tyres will help, i was looking at the BFG's 215/75/15 AT's before i bumped my head and went all crazy on you. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mattyj
Been here a while
Been here a while
mattyj

Number of posts : 118
Home City : Liverpool Sydney
Model and year : 92 Toyota Hi-ace 4x4 Super custom non turbo
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 8:29 pm

srburnsy wrote:

The older part time 4wd SC is totally different, when in 4wd mode the front and rear axles are locked together meaning equal drive through the front and rear diff... so it takes 2 wheels to loose traction before you go no where and if you were to install a rear diff locker it would take 3 wheels to loose traction.
Very Happy

you talking about mine there lol

it will soon have front and rear diff locks as well as a center diff lock just dont know what brand or type (air vs electric vs viscous etc)
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Yes mate yours has true 4wd. Being part time 4wd with low range transfer case you dont have a centre diff so no need to worry about that. I would just get a the rear diff lock, it would be unstoppable! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
mattyj
Been here a while
Been here a while
mattyj

Number of posts : 118
Home City : Liverpool Sydney
Model and year : 92 Toyota Hi-ace 4x4 Super custom non turbo
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:25 am

it is unstoppable now lol till i run into something i cant get over lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Limited slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Limited slip?   Limited slip? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Limited slip?
Page 1 of 1