Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear diff/wheel bearing noise

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
stepawayfromthemachine
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 32
Home City : Bedford, UK
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Rear diff/wheel bearing noise Empty
PostSubject: Rear diff/wheel bearing noise   Rear diff/wheel bearing noise Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi guys

I recently had some of the interior out of my Reimo camper to get the rear carpet replaced and whilst driving it down to my coach trimmer (across town) I noticed an oscillating wob wob wob type sound coming from the rear. 

I've had the car up on a ramp with the rear wheels spinning up in gear and it seems difficult to tell if its wheel bearing or diff related. There doesn't seem to be any play in the wheel bearings using the usual 12 and 6, 3 and 9 o'clock method, but it does seem to be coming from the wheels, but on both sides?! 

Are these vans prone for knocking out wheel bearings? (bearing in mind it's a fully laden camper) 

And if its not wheel bearings, if its the diff that's noisy then is this something I can just live with for now (the van gets used for occasional local weekends away, but will be on a 2 week trip in August) If not, what's the prognosis for repairs? Big job or not? 

The noise is there at all speeds, doesn't seem to change when loading into corners etc, doesn't seem to go even if I coast out of drive in neutral, so I was thinking more wheel bearing related? 

Any advice much appreciated. 

Thanks, Simon.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff/wheel bearing noise   Rear diff/wheel bearing noise Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 3:03 pm

To replace the bearings you need to pull the half shafts, cut the old ones off and drift/press new ones on. To do this you need proper big boy garage tools, press, slide hammer for a start.
I'd try replacing the diff oil and see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
stepawayfromthemachine
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 32
Home City : Bedford, UK
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff/wheel bearing noise   Rear diff/wheel bearing noise Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Cheers Clive Smile 

Replacing the axle bearings isn't a problem, I have a rather large big boy garage to play in Smile 

I'll try the diff oil first though cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear diff/wheel bearing noise   Rear diff/wheel bearing noise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear diff/wheel bearing noise
Page 1 of 1