Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Black smoke

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
IsaacTaremwa

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Uganda
Registration date : 2023-10-11

Black smoke Empty
PostSubject: Black smoke   Black smoke Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2023 4:08 pm

Hello, my super custom emits a lot of dark smoke when I start it in the morning, but later it goes away but return each time I park it for a few hours

What could be the problem ?
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 152
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

Black smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black smoke   Black smoke Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2023 8:01 pm

I think that if it's burning oil then that's blue smoke and if it's black then it's the fuel mixture so could be injectors, diesel/ fuel pump/ EGR thing or even the air filter not letting in enough air or a turbo issue. If it's on starting or when the engine is cool then perhaps it's some sort of adjustment in the fuel mixture that's gone wrong for cold starts. Like an overreacting choke sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
thetube

Number of posts : 9
Home City : PNW
Registration date : 2023-05-14

Black smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black smoke   Black smoke Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2023 7:38 pm

Hi there,
I am having a similar problem. Normally all good can cruise pretty comfortably at 100-110km on the highway. As soon as I hit a pretty steep incline I get some black smoke (the steeper the incline and higher the elevation the darker and thicker the smoke gets). Ive got a lh123 (slwb and hrf) with a bit of weight in whitewood pine in the buildout, so pretty heavy van. Cruising through I-70 in the states on my way to vail for the winter and my output got pretty miserable... going 30km on an interstate not very fun. Wondering if this is normal? I highly doubt it. It has a new air filter. I am going to swap a new fuel filter in but I feel this is a naive fix to what I'm imagining is a larger problem? I have a very basic knowledge of this stuff so any help is appreciated!

Also sidenote... cruising around town up here without incline my engine output is pretty diminished but I'm also near 8,000ft in elevation.
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Black smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black smoke   Black smoke Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2023 8:44 pm

The higher you are the thinner the air so what you're sucking in probably isn't enough to get the right mix. That'll make it smoke because it's not burning properly.

If anybody knows a solution for these vans I'd be interested.
Back to top Go down
thetube

Number of posts : 9
Home City : PNW
Registration date : 2023-05-14

Black smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black smoke   Black smoke Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 pm

Just curious, wondering if adding a snorkel might increase air availability and accessing cleaner air higher off the roadway.
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Black smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black smoke   Black smoke Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 10:48 pm

A snorkel's just a tube so it won't change the amount of air the engine sucks or increase it's density but it will cut down on dust because it's higher up.

thetube likes this post

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

Black smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black smoke   Black smoke Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 8:51 am

@isaacc, try connecting the two diagnostics pins on the obd1 port and see if there are any codes. There are a few emission issues that can be stored but not displayed with the engine light.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Black smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black smoke   Black smoke Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black smoke
Page 1 of 1