Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New van running rough, smoke

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mel

Number of posts : 16
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2023-07-04

New van running rough, smoke Empty
PostSubject: New van running rough, smoke   New van running rough, smoke Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 5:52 pm

Hi. Has anyone had issues with a new second hand import diesel that may have sat around for a while intermittently running rough in Drive whilst stopped, and occassional puffs of smoke, white and black? Is this "normal" and should it burn off in a few days? 😬
Back to top Go down
Percy 075

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2023-03-10

PostSubject: Re: New van running rough, smoke   New van running rough, smoke Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2023 1:56 am

I’ve just fixed my power and smoke issues. Wouldn’t rev past 2900rpm. Total lack of power. Black smoke at full tilt. White smoke under no load and just revving. I don’t want to scare you, but:
Injectors serviced, valve was sticking (shimmed), crack in the alloy intake tube that goes over the top of the engine welded and polished, cylinder head removed and machined. AU$4k. Runs like a dream now. Zero smoke. 3L NA diesel 1996 450000km.
Done now, but worth it in the end. Good luck!

Mel likes this post

Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: New van running rough, smoke   New van running rough, smoke Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2023 3:04 pm

When I bought mine it was lacking in power, 95 km/h was the best it could do, used a bit of oil, and tended to run on slightly when switching off. It was 21 years old but with only a bit over 60,000km on it (if genuine). That suggested that it had only light use in Japan and may be somewhat coked up. I gave it a bottle of injector cleaner and my normal usage gave it some long runs at highway speed. Within a few weeks it had opened up and can cruise happily at 110. Oil consumption also dropped and now, some 150,000km later, it hardly uses a drop.
As I understand it, black smoke indicates excess fuel, white = oil. A new air cleaner may help with fuel.
I would suggest giving it a little time and some highway runs, try what I did, and keep an eye on the oil. Go for more drastic measures if it doesn't appear to be improving.

Mel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New van running rough, smoke   New van running rough, smoke Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New van running rough, smoke
Page 1 of 1