Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rough idle

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
geterdone

Number of posts : 5
Home City : surrey,bc
Registration date : 2011-07-10

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 4:19 pm

95 sc bought in Canada thru Dealer had 145,K . When I bought it I queried the dealer about the rough idle said it didn't idle like any of my other diesels, he said that it just may need to be taken out and driven on a long trip as it may have been a town vehicle and is likely carboned up. Well 13, k later it is still idling the same, the engine otherwise has tons of get up and go. I have no motor manual for it and the availability of getting good advice or someone that's reliable to fix it is scary at best. I due a considerable amount of mechanical work myself so I'm not afraid to tackle any job providing I have the proper technical information to refer to. So after this long winded post my question is has anybody had this idle problem or is it the norm, and where can I download a serviice repair manual. I do love this van and I am a little disappointed in the fuel economy. Has anybody intercooled one and what was the result if they did? I can't beleive they weren't manufactured with an intercooler especially with such poor air flow to engine. Oh forgot to mention I have run additive in fuel and have changed fuel filter, I'm thinking it's got to be a sensor ortemp sending switch thats sending wrong info. to computer, no engine light though, and idle is set to spec.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:53 am

There are download sites that will have the offical toyota engine manual, this is not service manual although I think they have a service schedule in the back. Just type in your engine code into a search engine and you should have several to choose from - BEWARE of virus!

Rough tickover all the time or just when cold?

Cold - maybe a glow plug out.

All the time - fuel/air leak, timing slightly out or one valve too tight on clearance - all of which disappear once you press the laud pedel.
Back to top Go down
geterdone

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm

It seems to be rougher when its hot but its at all temp. I was told timing is not adjustable that computer looks after, because that was my first thought. As far as valve clearance I saw no clearance details anywhere in engine compartment and assumed that they were hydraulic lifters. I also have a Townace and the clearances are placarded on valve cover. In my question to the post I neglected to state which engine I had. It is 1kz te efi. As far as timing goes there still has to be static timing and I understand that the pump is on a keyway but I'm thinking a person would need some specialized equipment for setting static timing @ tdc. I'm used to the old way using a dial gage for lift on the lobe. As I said I really need a manual. You might hae something with a intake or vacuum leak though.
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

Number of posts : 101
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 pm

What dealer did you buy it from?

Here is a link to a manual. I hope it for your engine. I found it somewhat helpful, but would like a more comprehensive repair manual.

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t108-1-kz-te-engine-manual
Back to top Go down
geterdone

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:29 am

Silk Road autos in Surrey. Have you had any luck finding a good source of after market parts for your van? I'm really appauled at the prices they want to charge for simple things like oil filters air filters transmission filters, belts, water pumps etc. etc. normal regular maintenance items that they obviously mass produce. Have you also had any luck finding a good reputable repair facility that knows what they're doing? If so pass on their name please. Thanks Tamarack
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

Number of posts : 101
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:27 am

I actually had my timing belt and rad replacement done at Silk Road. He did a good job as I would think he has done many. there were a few little things I was not happy with but... nothing too serious.

The best parts dealer is in Armstrong. Mustang Connection or Jap Cruisers. He really knows his stuff because he's been doing it a long time. He stocks OEM but the prices are a bit high for things like oil filters ($35). Maximum Overdrive in Richmond sells Sakura oil filters for 20 dollars each.

Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 am

The fuel pump can be rotated slightly on its mountings, the manual should explain this. A tight valve would also cause a bad idle. Get a long screw driver, with the engine running, place the handle on the rocker and the driver end near your ear and have a listen along the the rocker box.

May also be a sticky/gummed injector but I would expect a plume of smoke with that, may be worth a dose of injector cleaner just to rule that out?
Back to top Go down
geterdone

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks Tamarac and Clive for your responses. do the 1kz te motors have manually adjusted valves or do they have hydraulic lifters? Haven't seen any information in engine bay with clearances like on my Townace with the 2c engine.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:53 am

They have shims fitted, same as the 2C.
Back to top Go down
geterdone

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks clive. I also own a 1986 Mercury Lynx with a Mazda diesel in it that is fitted with shims for valve adjustment now that engine is really starting to get hard to get parts for. I will do a valve lash check to determine if that is a problem. Are the clearances the same as the 2c 10 intake and 12 thousands of an inch exhaust?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 am

Don't know, gave my manual away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rough idle Empty
PostSubject: Re: rough idle   rough idle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rough idle
Page 1 of 1