Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light Empty
PostSubject: Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light   Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light Icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 6:22 pm

Hi,

I've noticed that if the large centre light is set to 'door' it never turns off - even with the door closed, ignition off and everything locked. The dashboard door open warning light stays on constantly too (even when locked up). The van has been in storage since I've had it until yesterday - and the battery was getting warn down over time - so this is suspect.

i had an alarm fitted yesterday too, so I though that was the culprit. But the installer, who I don't doubt, said the courtesy light was always on before he started work - so he turned it off for the work and assumed I knew. He connected the door alarm to the pin switch at the back post of the sliding door frame - and that works as expected - so he didn't think to tell me about the courtesy light. So the issue is somewhere between the switch and the rest of the system.

Any thoughts welcome on where to look - or should I be looking the the sliding door contacts instead?

Just to be more awkward, my wife told me the dashboard warning light was off for a point today too - but it's back on now. So it could well be something transient.

Thanks

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light   Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light Icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 10:06 pm

Actually, i'm wondering if I've missed something. When the alarm was fitted, we couldn't find a pin switch for the tailgate, and the small light right at the back is on/off only. However, looking at some past posts here, there may be some kind of micro-switch in the rear latch that illuminates the main florescent courtesy light and also the dash warning light. In which case, this could be the culprit? Could anyone confirm whether there is some kind of switch there, and if there is, which wires to look out for?

I'm wondering if this is also related to the fact that the original remote lock/unlock button on the toyota key only worked 5% of the time (I assumed it was the battery, but could the rear tailgate switch have not 'shut')?

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light   Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 8:13 am

Answering my own questions Wink

Yes, there's a micro-switch within the rear tailgate latch - when closing it, the internal courtesy lights flash. But the door has a bit of 'bounce' when closed, so it looks like it's not closing properly. I can't see any adjustment for the latch or the striker plate. A new latch?
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light   Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 7:57 am

I was about to mention the rear latch in-built switch. I have adjusted the striker by redrilling holes and/or elongating them.

As far as I found, that latch is peculiar to only 2 Toyotas - the Super Custom and the Townace. I have a couple in my garage parts shelf.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light   Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 8:44 am

There are quite a few aliexpress options but they don't look as substantial as the originals. I loosened both the latch and the striker plate and retightened them, while holding them 'nearer' and thats helped. It will now catch properly if I give the tailgate a good slam. So I may just try and build out the striker plate post a little. I reckon a millimetre or two will be enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light   Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Issue with the sliding door open warning / courtesy light
Page 1 of 1