Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Desplanches

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Seattle
Registration date : 2023-03-16

When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  Empty
PostSubject: When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.    When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2023 11:05 pm

Hello,

Been having this issue where I have no torque converter lock-up whenever the headlights are on. Additionally the brake lights are also stuck on only when the headlights are switched on. When the headlights are not turned on and I press in the brake pedal, the dashboard back light turns on and the parking lights will turn on. I am wondering if there is a faulty ground but I cannot seem to find where to even look. I have a 96 super custom with the 1kz. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.    When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2023 2:08 am

Good Evening Desplanches.

Agree with the ground diagnosis.

I’m attaching the ground point locations for the instrument panel, body and engine. Please start there. Recommend you look at the wire too while you are cleaning the connection. My wife’s truck ground wire was secure, but when I wiggled it, corrosion started coming out and it fell apart in my hands.

Hope this helps, it’s a good starting point and I wish you all the luck and success ahead.

God Bless
-Bryan

Last edited by blgravely on Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.    When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 17, 2023 2:11 am

When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  0e1fcf10
When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  C2b71810
When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  8ad1b810
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.    When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 8:04 am

Yes, Toyota has “clever” ways of grounding circuits with switches that seem to to multiple things internally. If there’s a failure somewhere,  circuits will find other ways to ground causing voltages where they ain’t supposed to be.
It’s likely to be a single thing, like one of the grounds Bryan mentions.

Or a reversed polarity somewhere.

I’d start with making sure the various fuse panel power and gound supplies are well connected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.    When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When headlights are on, no torque converter lock-up.
Page 1 of 1