Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear pinion and flange torque specs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

Rear pinion and flange torque specs Empty
PostSubject: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 5:16 am

I’m going to be changing the rear pinion seal on my 91 hiace and can’t find the torque specs for the nut on the pinion as well as the ones on the flange. Anyone know these off hand or where to obtain them? Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 9:46 am

The diff is a standard Toyota part and used on a number of their vehicles. The type ID/number is on your 'engine plate' under the passenger seat, match it up to a vehicle you can get a Haynes manual for (or ask on a forum for that vehicle).

This is a standard tactic for the Hiace, find the common Toyota part and cross reference Smile.
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

99 Tercel ce *mint*

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 1:13 am

Thanks! Always a scavenger hunt anytime I need parts..

The code on the tag is G145 According to the decoder I found here: http://www.rallyrace.net/docs/toyota_diff_id.html

It is an 8” 4.88 4 pinion LSD, but still haven’t managed to find the torque specs..
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Interesting its an LSD, use the right oil then!
I found this when I looked for the G145, not sure if it applies but is may help as it has some torque figures
http://www.tlacruiser.com/reassembly-537.html
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

99 Tercel ce *mint*

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 6:22 am

Thanks. I’ve done some more searching and found a video showing the seal replacement with official torque of 145 foot pounds on the pinion Nut and 54 on the flange bolts. However from what I can see it looks like common practice to Mark the pinion nut At the staked point then retighten And re stake to secure it.

What is the right lsd oil?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 11:24 am

Sounds good. If you mark and retighten it's easier to use an air tool, probably safer too for you and the bearings and gears. Although 145 isn't massive I suppose.

You will need to research as you need the right weight and LSD friendly for the friction modifiers. Shell do some, but make sure you get the right stuff or you maybe changing more seals..

Again I'd try the 4x4 and the Supra forums. Also check the Japanese service data plate next to the chassis plate for SAE weights - use android's Google Translate in camera mode if needed. Once you know the correct weight just buy a quality LSD compatible oil. This allows the internal clutches to work properly and copes with the clutch debris.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Hi guys. Did you ever find out the correct oil for the G145? rear diff  I have one of these and think the oil is very low so will need to top up at the weekend.

Based on my research 'G' = 8.0", '14' = 1:4.875 and '5' = 4 pinions w/ limited slip diff. Not finding anything substantive on interweb for the grade. My manual says Hypoid gear oil API GL-5 and SAE 90 for >-18C but this doesn't have info for the LSD.

Anything gratefully received. btw new member.
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

99 Tercel ce *mint*

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 am

I just got the lsd rated oil from Toyota.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Hello.
If you still have the bottle could you take a picture and post the specs here? I realise that some OEMs do not include this detail in thier own products. My local factor suggested this: [cannot post link so search for "castrol-axle-z-lsd-90"] which thay have as part number 154B82 and costs £8.64 (ex VAT) per L. The electronic manual I've downloaded says to use Hypoid gear oil API GL-5 and for grade says if >-18C (>0F) SAE 90 and if <-18C (<0F) SAE 80W-90 or 80W and the diff is 2.2L capacity.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear pinion and flange torque specs   Rear pinion and flange torque specs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear pinion and flange torque specs
Page 1 of 1