Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.

Go down 
+3
blgravely
LH119V
RandyOakley
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Hello WestCoastALE and welcome to the forum.

Slightly away from the OP but...

On the EPC the engine mounts are Tab 11-07 within the ‘Engine’ section. For my van (a 3L) they are here:

https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/engine/1107/

I’d expect there to be strong similarities to the KZ engine variety but also some important differences so look this up for your motor. The resultant Amayama site is useful for purchases and can be filtered to see which models have the same parts, whereas on the EPC the filtering is done before selecting the area of interest. Hope I’ve explained this clearly but have a play with both. Also for buying there's MagaZip and others.

My ‘Show us yours’ page has recently featured main engine mounts (again on the 3L) but there are lots of pictures there that might prove useful. Go to the bottom of page one and page two on:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4317-my-lh119

The rear engine mount is attached to the top of the transmission (well it is on the 3L) and I presume this is the case across the range. The mount is shown in the same place on the EPC (above).

This mount was defunct on mine such that on overrun I had a horrible noise where the metal of the support was in contact with the metal of the mount.

I’ve a few pictures on this post, which was about engine swap; (scroll down a lot to the post with the ‘Timmy the Toolman’ clutch replacement video) and the rear mount pictures are there, the most useful ones are after the clutch / flywheel / pilot bearing ones:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4380-2000-hilux-1kz-te-in-96-kzh100g-what-should-a-mechanic-know

Happy to answer further questions and don't be shy about creating a new post as necessary. I think this will get a wider audience.

HTH!
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2022 4:12 am

Hey west coast ale.

Here is the diagram I think you are looking for. Company is reputable but you can use the PNs to shop around if desired.

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/hiace-38414/kzh106-54715/kzh106w-mfpqt-909797/mounting-17718764

Good luck

-Bryan
Back to top Go down
RandyOakley

Number of posts : 16
Home City : Bellevue
Model and year : 1997 Living Saloon Ex
Registration date : 2022-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2022 7:19 pm

OK  I've had my mechanic (who I've used on my Japanese vehicles since the 90's) do the same inspection as I would have them do if I were buying a used car locally.    The shop (https://eschenauto.com/ ) Has a young mechanic that is a JDM enthousiast -- he was keen to look at my van.   He reported that it is in really good shape.  He found that the A/C pump was squeeking -- but that a simple belt tightening resolved that issue.   He reported that the T-Belt -- while the ODO shows that it was last replaced 108,000 KM ago looks in good shape (I'm going to replace it anyway)  He did find that the seal on the left ball joint was compromised -- but that there was still lots of grease in there -- so I'm going to replace the seal.  He indicated that they have no problem sourcing many parts for this vehicle.  The front brake pads are 80% remaining and the rear drums are 30% remaining.  

The tires are servicable -- but I'm going to want new treads before winter sets in as I will be using it for ski trips, included a trip along the "Powder Highway" in BC and Alberta where "Mountain Snowflake" rated tires are required.   I also plan on taking trips to the American southwest and exploring places like "hole in the rock" road out to the end.

Looking at various "All Terrain" and "Severe Snow and Winter Traction" rated tires -- I'm finding very few tires in the current size on the vehicle "215/70R15"  -- but many more tire selections in the "215/75R15" size.  

Anyway I'm wondering what other's experiences are in fitting tires capable of driving on crummy roads and snow covered roads.   I have no desire to drive "off road", but do want to be able to drive lousy roads with confidence.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 30122310

Egoloss and LH119V like this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2022 10:51 pm

Hello

There’s a great ‘happy new-ish owner snap!’ Great to read the service news.

On tyres, I think the starting point needs to be the ‘load rating’ (number) of those currently fitted. I used to think this was country-specific, but I’ve been told this is universal. See (for example):

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/tyre-speed-rating

There’s the speed rating (letter), too, but I think this is less relevant…

I'm sure you have a local source...

Having got this said, I use “Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10 195/80 R15 T (96)”

And they have been great. These are thinner and taller than yours but plenty of grip and decent across a range of surfaces.

You can see these in my ‘Show us yours’ page, if you wish:

There’s now a RF11 (or 12?) that’s supposed to be better (grippier and quieter, but also more expensive).That’s progress.

I need to replace two (nominally on the rear) and I will get like for like.

BTW having had a few dramas with garages and date codes and the like I tend to buy new tyres and get them delivered to a local place who fits them to rim and balances. Anything with a >18 mo old date code should be not accepted (can you make a condition of purchase if poss?) but with supply chains as they are, sometimes <24 mo could be considered, just my opinion.

You can compare the different sizes on:
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

And impact on gearing etc here:
https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear

Even with a 3L engine the 195/80/R15 have been fine.

A few extras...

1 - If you are going really snowy you might want to consider chains. I understand on a 4X4 (part time) these should be fitted to all four wheels and I presume the same for full time 4WD.

2 - For a set of winter tyres I’d get them fitted to a separate set of steel wheels, Therefore, much less likely to cause problems, especially if the roads are salted. Alloys, especially those on the rear suffer to the point of leaking.

3 - If the roads where you are going are salted take a look at the underside of your van. I’ve been told that they don’t use road salt in Japan and Japanese domestic vehicles do not have the same underbody protection that export (or European for example) vehicles have (or claim to have).

4 - PM @Merlin_. He’s uploaded a few YT vids of driving in the snow and will probably have great advice. He’s also fitted a front winch.

HTH.

RandyOakley likes this post

Back to top Go down
RandyOakley

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2022 12:38 am

FWIW: In the mountain west of the US and Canada, carrying chains Nov-Apr on highways is required. On prior 4WD vehicles I've equipped them with a cheap set of cable chains that have never come out of the box. I also carry a Shovel and a bag of oil absorbing clay / kitty litter. Which I've never used myself, but have found useful for helping others get going from a ski area parking lot.
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2022 4:30 am

Hey Randy

The general and other all terrains are hard to get. You have to spend the money for the BFG’s…at least we did up here with you in the PNW. Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Cf45ed10
Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 F8f2e910
Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 9e369910

They fit fine and chewed through all the snow from last year no problem. 215/75/R15

They really make the van look and drive nice.

Back to top Go down
RandyOakley

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2022 6:38 am

Did you do a lift for fitting the 215/75R15s or any sort of suspension modification?
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2022 12:53 pm

Not at all Randy. No height issues at all. No rubbing. Fit like a dream.

There are width issues with the sliding door getting close to the L/R tire so I wouldn’t go wider than 225.

The BFG’s are sure footed on that heavy van too. No squealing on corners anymore. In fact we can’t break them loose at all. Discount Tire had them in stock and gave us a deal if I remember.

Whatever tire you go with, all terrains changed that van completely. I can’t think of any negatives.  

Good luck,
-Bryan

Back to top Go down
WestCoastALE

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Fort Collins
Model and year : YKZH106W-MFPQT
A340F G292
Registration date : 2022-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 11:48 pm

blgravely wrote:
Hey west coast ale.

Here is the diagram I think you are looking for.  Company is reputable but you can use the PNs to shop around if desired.

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/hiace-38414/kzh106-54715/kzh106w-mfpqt-909797/mounting-17718764

Good luck

-Bryan

Thank you so, so much! I think I just didn't even know what I was looking for. I think I have a lot more homework to do!
Back to top Go down
WestCoastALE

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Fort Collins
Model and year : YKZH106W-MFPQT
A340F G292
Registration date : 2022-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2022 11:53 pm

LH119V wrote:
Hello WestCoastALE and welcome to the forum.

My ‘Show us yours’ page has recently featured main engine mounts (again on the 3L) but there are lots of pictures there that might prove useful. Go to the bottom of page one and page two on:

The rear engine mount is attached to the top of the transmission (well it is on the 3L) and I presume this is the case across the range. The mount is shown in the same place on the EPC (above).

This mount was defunct on mine such that on overrun I had a horrible noise where the metal of the support was in contact with the metal of the mount.

I’ve a few pictures on this post, which was about engine swap; (scroll down a lot to the post with the ‘Timmy the Toolman’ clutch replacement video) and the rear mount pictures are there, the most useful ones are after the clutch / flywheel / pilot bearing ones:

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4380-2000-hilux-1kz-te-in-96-kzh100g-what-should-a-mechanic-know

Happy to answer further questions and don't be shy about creating a new post as necessary. I think this will get a wider audience.

HTH!

LH119V, so very helpful. Thank you. I'm gonna need to time-block an hour to work through the posts and images before digging in as this became the family van the moment it arrived.

I appreciate the linking of other posts, for your time and thoroughness!
Back to top Go down
RandyOakley

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 11:24 pm

blgravely wrote:
Not at all Randy. No height issues at all. No rubbing. Fit like a dream.

There are width issues with the sliding door getting close to the L/R tire so I wouldn’t go wider than 225.

The BFG’s are sure footed on that heavy van too. No squealing on corners anymore. In fact we can’t break them loose at all. Discount Tire had them in stock and gave us a deal if I remember.

Whatever tire you go with, all terrains changed that van completely. I can’t think of any negatives.  

Good luck,
-Bryan

Thanks for the info -- I managed to order some BFG KO2s in 215/75R15 from CostCo.   Initially they were balking at installing them saying they can't mount them on the vehicle if they are more than 3% bigger than the OEM spec'ed tires.    But they would be happy to mount them on my rims if I could bring in just the wheels.    Since I already have 4 jack stands from working on my  vintage motorhome -- I figured -- I can do that.   Once I got the call from the tire center than the tires had arrived and I needed to schedule an appointment, using the online tool, the earliest avaialble appointment wasn't until September 15th.   Yikes -- so I visited the tire center and talked to someone in person -- this person was happy to schedule an installation appointment for Sept 6th and when I pointed out that the tires were exactly 3% oversized, not over 3% -- he said no problem -- but since the vehicle isn't in their database -- I would need to supply the correct lugnut torque settings and the inflation pressure.    Fortunately my Hiace came with the original owners manual and some work with Google Translate I was able to find and translate the lugnut torque from 10.5 kg/meter to 76 foot-pounds.   Gleaning wisdom from various enthusiast forums -- I choose an inflation pressure of 45 PSI.

Some I've got just about 60 km on the new tires -- so far they are feeling much much better than the 5 year old "mini-van" tires that it came with.

Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 20220911

Egoloss, LH119V and blgravely like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.   Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newly imported from Japan -- reccommeded maintenainance.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2