Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Import from Japan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 278
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

New Import from Japan Empty
PostSubject: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2022 10:56 am

Hi,

I'm going to use this thread as a sort of blog on importing a Hiace Super Custom from Japan. I starting looking for a campervan in the summer as a possible replacement for an old retro caravan we have. In the end, we decided to keep the caravan but I had become smitten with  the idea of a 'vanilla' Super Custom after all the research.

Since then, I've looked at a few for sale in the UK  - but they have either been from adverts that have been a little loose with the term "good condition for it's age" - or I missed out from being too slow to get to see them. All this time I've also been looking at importing a fresh one from Japan and after being outbid a few times, I've won an auction for a 2001 model.

New Import from Japan Vabmn210

It should be on it's way to the port now - and I'll get some more photos when it gets there.

Currently, there are long waits to get onto a ship - apparently about 8 weeks if going to Newcastle. Then another 8 weeks on the seas. And now I've heard the DVLA are taking 6 weeks to register a new import. So it's going to be a while before I can play with it....

One bit of good news is that I've found a local classic-car restorer that has experience with imported Hiaces - so that's going to help with any remedial work / MOTs etc.

I'll post more images as I get them - first the insurance confirmation shots when it arrives at the Japanese port.

If anyone is thinking of importing - I can heartily recommend Japan Car Direct as the auction agency. https://japancardirect.com/
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 4:52 am

Well, the van has arrived at the yard, just a matter of waiting for the export docs and for the forwarder to arrange the boat. The photos have been sent through and here are a few. New Import from Japan Img_7610
New Import from Japan Img_7611
New Import from Japan Img_7612
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 4:53 am

New Import from Japan Img_7613
New Import from Japan Img_7614

ruffnut, Andonic and LH119V like this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 10:10 pm

I think you'll be glad of the rear coil springs.

Get it undersealed.

https://www.rust.co.uk/why-should-you-rustproof-your-newly-imported-vehicle-

Or convince yourself it really doesn't need it

Oh and very nice!
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2022 8:59 am

LH119V wrote:
Get it undersealed.

https://www.rust.co.uk/why-should-you-rustproof-your-newly-imported-vehicle-

Or convince yourself it really doesn't need it

Absolutely, I've seen a few over here in the UK that are rusting away in a couple of years that in 20 years in Japan, were not touched.

The only thing is whether to go for a 'permanent' solution like the one linked in the URL above - or go for an annual application of something like Waxoyl or Lanoguard.

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2023 4:04 pm

Researching while waiting for the van, I've decided to underseal/treat it with Bilt Hamber Dynax (UC for the underside and S50 for the cavities and box sections). https://bilthamber.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Dynax-S50-vs-other-cavity-waxes.pdf

The cans of UC look easy to apply and clear finish. The reviews are good too.

BTW - the shipping agent managed to get the van on a fast boat after waiting just a month. Should be here in three weeks.

Andonic likes this post

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2023 10:30 pm

Well, it arrived at Bristol - just shy of eleven weeks from the auction in Japan to the UK. A lot quicker than I was expecting. Now the wait for the MOT and registration so I can drive it!

New Import from Japan Whatsa10

ruffnut, Andonic, thompsono and OKJDM like this post

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2023 9:27 pm

Well, I got the MOT and applied for the DVLA registration and it only took 18 days! I was expected over six weeks as reported in other places. So the number plates are on and it's had it's first run around the block. Next is a reversing camera

ruffnut likes this post

Back to top Go down
ladyhiace

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Ireland
Registration date : 2023-04-04

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2023 3:28 pm

Love this!!
Back to top Go down
ladyhiace

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Ireland
Registration date : 2023-04-04

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2023 2:45 pm

Love it! Looks so clean and tidy, makes me want to import (another) one too Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Import from Japan   New Import from Japan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Import from Japan
Page 1 of 1