Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hose LH178 5L
hose LH178 5L

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Victoria, BC, Canada
Model and year : 1999
Regius Ace
Super GL
Hitop camper
LH178V
5L eng
4x4 diesel
Registration date : 2021-09-23

What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Empty
PostSubject: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 1:55 am

Good day
99 Hiace L178
Looking up and fwd from behind the drivers tire I found the chamber for the air filter, just outboard of that is a broken plastic reservoir, any guesses what it might have been for?What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side 20220312
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 2:49 am

I hope you have the rest of the air filter housing which is not attached in your picture!
Is that the windscreen washer reservoir?
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 12:13 pm

Hello

No it’s part of the air intake system. See:
https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/engine/1703/

While this is for my van I expect yours is the same. Do tailor this site to be exactly for your specific model (based on the VIN) so you can find out what everything is. It’s a great site and will teach you a lot.

As you can see from the pictures the intake is rather complicated. I’ve no idea why Toyota made it so but it is fantastically engineered with water drains and anti-suck flaps to stop water getting in where it should not, plus various anti-vibration mounts.

With everything working properly I see no reason why the Hiace cannot ford to the depth of the air intake behind the driver’s door, which is probably what the engineers were thinking but yours is currently picking up every bit of road muck and sucking this straight into the air filter. Not good.

I think you should take the opportunity to examine the entire air intake system. You might be surprised but not pleased to discover other problems that compromise the air quality or prevent filtration or drainage.

You’ll have to take the driver’s seat out to replace this part and it’s worth cleaning out the whole lot. It’s probably all very dirty and doesn’t your van deserve this?

Also, the corrugated hose that sits upstream of the cast aluminium piece is a common failure point (ask me how I know) and allows hot, unfiltered air within the engine bay to be used over cool and filtered air from outside that the system is designed to use. Finally if this is poor and the lining has started to break down there is a danger that pieces of hose will be sucked into where they should not be. It’s an expensive OEM part but a suitable length of modern silicone hose will cost ~£20.

HTH
Back to top Go down
hose LH178 5L
hose LH178 5L

Regius Ace
Super GL
Hitop camper
LH178V
5L eng
4x4 diesel

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 2:27 pm

Fantastic answer HTH,
First time i've see that link for parts.
thanks tons.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 6:02 pm

The plastic reservoir and complicated intake is all about intake noise and anti resonance in air intake , and as someone pointed out the air filter cover is also missing that will make the all lot redundant .
Back to top Go down
hose LH178 5L
hose LH178 5L

Regius Ace
Super GL
Hitop camper
LH178V
5L eng
4x4 diesel

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 8:10 pm

thanks for the extra info. The air filter cannister/cover is intact, i removed it to change the filter.
Back to top Go down
parxuk
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 48
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2021-05-03

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2022 12:53 pm

My plastic reservoir (or whatever it is?) is cracked also.

Is it really part of the air-intake system? If so is it essential to get it replaced? I presume wading into water up to this depth could be damaging?
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2022 5:18 pm

Yes it is part of the air intake, reduces induction noise not essential but not a good idea to get water in the intake , a simple repair with duct tape or glue is quite adequate if beyond repair there is an Hiace breaker in Bradford UK.
Back to top Go down
parxuk
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2022 5:25 pm

Thanks JT69. It's good to know about any breakers in the UK as opposed to having to import from Japan, so I will give them a call.
Do you have their details by any chance?
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 10:43 am

Have not actually used them yet just a phone number from a friend , will pm you please let us know if they are any good

parxuk likes this post

Back to top Go down
parxuk
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 12:37 pm

Thanks for the PM. Think I might try and repair it first. Looking on ebay, there is one in japan for approx £350 - so duct tape it is!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side   What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is this plastic reservoir on drivers side
Page 1 of 1