Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Drivers Side Seat Belt

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Yankush

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Byron Bay
Model and year : Super Custom Limited 1997
Registration date : 2023-07-27

Drivers Side Seat Belt Empty
PostSubject: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2023 12:48 am

Looking for a replacement for the driver's side seat belt in my 97 limited.
Does anyone know about fitting a different belt in there? I can't seem to find a direct replacement.
In Australia if that makes any difference. The wreckers only have seatbelts from a regular hiace van.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 292
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2023 10:28 am

I think you can have the webbing replaced by some firms if you send in the reel.

Yankush likes this post

Back to top Go down
Yankush

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2023 2:36 am

g00se wrote:
I think you can have the webbing replaced by some firms if you send in the reel.

Thankyou, I had no idea.
It looks like they can only do that sort of seatbelt repair legally in WA
Shipping mine over today

g00se likes this post

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 292
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2023 10:31 am

I'm in the UK and the driver's side belt is beginning to fray. OK for the MOT test at the moment, but I guess I'll need to do the same too soon.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2023 6:24 am

It’s not that hard to take apart and replace the webbing yourself. Check YouTube for reassurance beforehand but it’s pretty self explanatory when you remove one yourself.  The end of the belt is held in with a plastic wedge that you can tap out endways. Just utilise flathead screwdrivers to prevent the spool retracting. Also pay very close attention to the orientation and direction it loops around the end and relationship to the other end that bolts to the floor. That is, which side is up. It also gives you a chance to add a couple of rotations if the retraction spring has lost its oomph.

The important part to know when looking for a replacement is that the buckle can’t slide off the belt without undoing stitching so the trick is finding a belt with the same buckle tang size and shape to match the latch. I found at the wreckers that Toyota Previas up to mid 2000’s had same buckle latch shape and belt colour. I was super lucky and found one that was date stamped (so had been replaced) the year before.

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2023 6:27 am

If you’re in Australia Repco should have an aftermarket replacement. They do here in NZ. There should be a code number on the belt label.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2023 3:01 pm

Interesting. My driver’s seatbelt had suffered 30y of everyday use and while the ratcheting seemed strong the belt itself was poor. I can’t believe it actually passed a MOT and when getting my car MOTd last year I took in the belt for them to assess. They just shook their heads and said ‘really, like you have to ask?’. As the belt is one of the few safety aids in an early 90s Hiace I opted for a new one from Toyota, which was ~£120 and came with the top bracket, its cover and new fasteners for the bottom and top anchor points. I didn’t think this was unreasonable a safety-critical part and for something that had likely been heavily used every day the van had been driven.

The EPC describes these parts well and includes the various colour options. You can then use the EPC and related resources to find alternative vehicles that used the exact same belt on other vehicles. I’d expect there are a lot since almost every Japanese vehicle I’ve sat in seems to use the same buckle.

Mine is ‘utility grey’ so seemingly more popular. I’d expect the more unusual colour schemes might be harder.

I’d expect a commercial re-belt service to end up costing roughly the same as a new unit, but this is just a guess.

HTH
Back to top Go down
Yankush

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2023 4:37 am

The aftermarket belt/bracket for mine was quoted around $260 AUD

I ended up shipping my belt off to Western Australia for a rewebbing, it's on its way back now. $180 all up including shipping.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2023 3:34 am

This is funny coincidence. Am in the middle of doing renos, extending the kitchen. Just shifted one of the kitchen cabinets that were temporarily relocated a couple of years ago. Typical dust bunnies, random plastic lids, a few supermarket receipts and… a receipt from the local wreckers Pick-A-Part: 8 Jan 2021 - RF Seat Belt - Toyota Estima - $38.00
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drivers Side Seat Belt   Drivers Side Seat Belt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drivers Side Seat Belt
Page 1 of 1