Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trailer Light Conundrum

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
will_hiace
Not so new now
Not so new now
will_hiace

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Kelowna
Model and year : 1998 Hiace AWD KZH138
Registration date : 2021-09-12

Trailer Light Conundrum Empty
PostSubject: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2022 4:30 am

Hey folks,

I have a bit of a conundrum with my attempt to hook up my new trailer lights to my 1998 Hiace AWD KZH138 campervan.

The new trailer has a 4 way flat hookup and the JDM electric hookup on the Hiace is a 7 round pin. I bought a standard (for North America) 7 pin to 4 pin adapter and all the lights on the trailer work (running lights, left turn & right turn signals) except for the brake lights.

It's a head scratcher as the adapter retailer (and everyone else that I have spoken to) insist that the brake lights share the connection with the left/right turn signal wires - in other words, if the turn signals work then the brake lights should work as well.

All the fuses in the Hiace show as good, although I have not found a dedicated trailer electrics fuse.

I came across the schematic below which seems to show the brake lights on a separate pin altogether (lower center pin) - if this is indeed the hookup that was installed in JDM then my adapter will not 'capture' the brake light signal.

Has anyone else come across this issue and, if so, how did you resolve it?

Cheers for any help or suggestions.

Trailer Light Conundrum Image110
Trailer Light Conundrum Image310
Trailer Light Conundrum Image210
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 4:13 am

Yes you will need some logic circuitry to mix in the brake signal, I think you US folks are the only ones in the world who double-up the function of brake and indicator lamps. I'm not sure if a few diodes would do it as I'm not quite sure how your system works; how do the turn indicators work when the brake is applied? I don't think your system is even legal here although I could be wrong on that.
Back to top Go down
will_hiace
Not so new now
Not so new now
will_hiace

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 4:37 am

The issue would seem to be incompatibility between the JDM trailer electrical hookup and the US manufactured trailer. Brakes and turn signals work fine on the van, I may just have to have the van trailer electrics rewired to solve this.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2022 3:09 am

That would be the easiest route. It could likely be done with a few relays but you still wouldn't have the correct operation of the lights and the turn signal lamps would be the wrong colour (here they must be orange or yellow while the stop lights must be red).
Nice LED lamp assemblies are cheap and a bit of multicore cable won't cost much.
Back to top Go down
geoffreyKZH138V
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 45
Home City : Moffat Beach
Registration date : 2021-09-05

PostSubject: Trailer light plug jdm   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2022 9:46 am

I have a KZH. I found the trailer plug wiring was piggybacked off brake /turn/tail wiring high up behind a panel driver side above rear vent. Ditch your idea of using an adaptor. Disconnect wiring at JDM plug. Get a $4 12v test bulb tool. Connect to your preferred US/AU towbar plug....using your 12v test bulb tool.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 2:18 am

@geoffreyKZH138V there is nothing wrong with his connector or how it's wired, it's just that he is trying to adapt to the odd US system where brake lights are shared with the direction indicators. We all use a 4 wire system as does his van, they use a 3 wire system which is what his trailer currently has. There is no way of directly connecting the trailer to the van, some relay or electronic logic is required to make the conversion. Rewiring the trailer to 4 wire and replacing the lamps with nice new LED fittings is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 7:19 am

Here is a circuit published way back in March 1982 for doing the conversion.
There are many reasons it would not be advisable to copy this now (things the author overlooked and much better devices now available) but it shows the technique.

Trailer Light Conundrum Poptronics-1982-03-p68-page-001
Back to top Go down
will_hiace
Not so new now
Not so new now
will_hiace

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 5:54 pm

Many thanks for the assistance, I've got the Hiace at the shop to sort this one out. There are some corroded wires that might be the culprit here.
Back to top Go down
will_hiace
Not so new now
Not so new now
will_hiace

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2022 7:13 pm

Just wanted to update with the final outcome: corroded wires were replaced and the problem was not solved, the 7 way electrical trailer hookup just would not send the brake light information to the 4 way North American trailer hookup - likely because of the difference in the way trailer brake lights are wired in Japan vs North America.

The simple solution was to add a second trailer electric hookup on the Hiace, this one a standard North American 4 way hookup that works fine with my new trailer. No problems since then.

AM Camper likes this post

Back to top Go down
egecko

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Portland, Ore
Model and year : 1998 KZH100 SC G 1KZ-TE 2BY FC43
Registration date : 2024-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitimeThu Feb 29, 2024 8:11 am

Quick intro and 1st post.

Hi, I have a 1998 KZH100 SC G 2BY FC43.

Wanted to add this to the posts for others to find for future wiring needs. UHaul carries a 3 to 2 wire taillight converter for $20 that are needed to install for trailers.

It seems I can't post links for 7 days, so here's the information, just correct the www to view information.

w ww.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wiring-Lights/Tow-Vehicle-Wiring/U-Haul-4-Way-Flat/?id=13684

Trailer Light Conundrum 3-2_ta10

g00se likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Light Conundrum   Trailer Light Conundrum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trailer Light Conundrum
Page 1 of 1