Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Turbo light

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Turbo light Empty
PostSubject: Turbo light   Turbo light Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:43 am

Don't seem to have a turbo light on my digital dash. Does this mean my turbo's not working ( as I suspect ) or has no one else got one? scratch
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Turbo light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turbo light   Turbo light Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:55 am

No not on mine.

Having driven a Townace with no turbo I think you would know rather than suspect, plus there should be black smoke!
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Turbo light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turbo light   Turbo light Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Thanks for reply, Clive, I was basing the dash on my Townie!
Don't know when the turbo is supposed to kick in on these, but when put under pressure at over 3000revs it emits smoke & looses power - and very often 'engine' light comes on. Ease off and everything comes back to normal. I try to drive very gently ( mostly ) to try to save fuel, but I can wind it up ( slowly ) to cruise at 75/80 on the motorway. I never hear a turbo 'whine' - what do you think? Question
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Turbo light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turbo light   Turbo light Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Mine makes a whine about 1500 rpm.

I would suspect fuelling problem, when was the filter changed?
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

Turbo light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turbo light   Turbo light Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 9:56 am

cant speak for the townace but my hiace has digital dash, it doesnt have a turbo light though.if yours is a turbo and you suspect a fault it might have brought your engine management light up or stored codes in the ecu for reading,i had a powerloss problem once and it turned out to be a vac hose that had worked loose
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Turbo light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turbo light   Turbo light Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 8:09 pm

A manual that shows all the digital dash lights sure would be handy.Ours is about 1500 as well for turb spin up, but loses grunt up top , probably bloody wastegate.. If your blowing smoke and losing pwer over 3k there is a possibility that you have a hole, leak in inlet manifold. That causes massive over heating and would bring your engine light on. I had a split in one of our Mack's once and the pyrometer (turbo temp gauge) was like a rev counter when you put your foot down. A boost gauge will tell you if this is the case. This is going to be my next addition .
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Turbo light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turbo light   Turbo light Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 11:35 am

Yeah, should hear the turbo spool up. Our 3.0lt SC is very distinctive. Quite a whistle from low revs as soon as you throttle it. No smoke is noticeable unless it's taken near rev limit or throttled hard and fast. Over about 60Mph it will accelerate easily on the motorway. No slow winding up. The chassis/wind stability is the limiting factor or it would be able to do quite high speeds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Turbo light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turbo light   Turbo light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turbo light
Page 1 of 1