Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aces_high
Aces_high

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Tonbridge
Model and year : LH119V-RRPES selectable 4x4, 1992
Registration date : 2021-08-26

'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query) Empty
PostSubject: 'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query)   'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 5:54 pm

Hi all. To the UK contingent out there, interested to know what your van's body type is listed as on your V5C.

Mine (a LH119V) factory-converted campervan says 'MPV'.

My guess is most of the SCs out there would also say MPV, on account of looking more like vans than campers. But does anyone have a Hiace with V5C body type 'motor caravan'?

I'm only asking because I'm considering asking the DVLA to change mine to 'motor caravan' but I've heard a lot of tales out there about seemingly-compliant vans being refused that classification.

Mine meets every criteria inside and out for 'motor caravan' but I'm still not convinced it'd be allowed.

Thanks as always.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: 'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query)   'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2022 2:11 pm

Hi again.

I’ve also been peering into this particular rabbit hole but not sure how to proceed. Keen to see your working on this, possibly before submitting to DVLA if you choose to.

When imported to the UK in 2005, my van was registered with the ‘Body type’ of a ‘Motor Caravan’ by the DVLA. Unfortunately for me the previous owner asked for this to be changed to a MPV (which I think stands for multi-purpose vehicle) designation in 2012 and a new logbook was issued for this change. The reason for the change was the then impending introduction of the initial LEZ in London, which would impact Motor Caravans but not MPVs. I found this all out when questioning why the new logbook was issued. I knew it was a MPV, but hadn’t known the original Motor Caravan designation on importation.

Of course it has now become more problematical to register a vehicle as a Motor Caravan. I don’t know whether the previous classification carries any weight and, whether there is any real benefit for the Motor Caravan classification or problem for it currently being a MPV? Thoughts? My insurer asked about the ‘Body type’ classification when taking out the insurance and they were not bothered. There are a few important dates for build ‘type approval’ that manufacturers but my van seems to predate all the important ones. Much of the DVLA information from this long ago is a bit sketchy and I’m looking forward to the day when my van becomes a historic vehicle!

Just because your van is a MPV does not mean it was designated this on import. It might be worth seeing if any other logbooks have been issued in the interim. You might be in the same boat?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: 'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query)   'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2022 4:17 pm

Mine (also LH119) says MPV. This surprised me, I had never checked before your post.
Back to top Go down
Aces_high
Aces_high

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Tonbridge
Model and year : LH119V-RRPES selectable 4x4, 1992
Registration date : 2021-08-26

PostSubject: Re: 'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query)   'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2022 9:08 pm

@LH119V. Your van's a pop top isn't it? Sadly I think that would rule it out as a motor home under the new rules. But interesting that it did once qualify.

The DVLA says to qualify as a motor caravan, a van has to be recognisable 'in traffic' as a caravan/motorhome. Apparently a hi-top roof is essential. It also has to have 'motorhome-style graphics' ... whatever that means!!!!

Like you, I was wondering if a previous categorisation as 'motor caravan' would count for anything. I do have a hi-top, but I'm still not confident.

I'll let you know if I make any headway.

@Andonic - I have van envy. I love the look of your CC.

Andonic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query)   'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'MPV' or 'motor caravan'? (UK specific query)
Page 1 of 1