Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fibre glass roof query

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hiace Hobo
Not so new now
Not so new now
Hiace Hobo

Number of posts : 24
Home City : St Austell
Model and year : Super Custom Hiace
2.8 auto 4x4 1993 2.8 3L Turbo engine
Camper Yokohama conversion
Registration date : 2012-01-13

Fibre glass roof query Empty
PostSubject: Fibre glass roof query   Fibre glass roof query Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello all,
I have a hi-top Hiace camper with I hi-top roof and I'm considering mounting some kayak brackets on the side of the roof, either side. Does anyone have any advice/experience of how to do this? Is the roof reinforced with plywood under the glass? I would, of course reinforce it outside and inside with metal plates - any advice on gaining access to the inner roof, i.e. removing headcloth, cupboards etc?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
chr15
chr15

Number of posts : 18
Home City : Worcestershire UK
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Campervan part time 4WD
LH119
Engine. 3L (2779cc)
Diesel
Registration date : 2017-02-28

Fibre glass roof query Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fibre glass roof query   Fibre glass roof query Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi there, can shed a little light on your fiber glass roof query.
Had to drill some more rivet holes into the aluminium awning rail on the side of my roof to secure it.
I can tell you that where the awning rail is there is solid material behind it. From what i remember there seemed to a couple of layers possibly wood/insulation? before hitting a layer of metal after which the drill goes through into open space.

Here is a link to the peel rivets i bought.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peel-Rivets-Dome-Head-Aluminium-Pop-Rivet-4-8mm-x-14mm-20mm-Metal-Rivets-/112191294225

They did an excellent job in securing the awning rail and are very strong so a few would be suitable for securing other brackets without need for securing from inside of the van. The rivets peel open clamping themselves to the metal layer inside the roof. The ones i bought were 4.8mm x 14mm and these were perfect length for getting through all the layers and allowing for the rivets to peel and clamp.
I used a cheap handheld pop rivet gun from halfords to pop/snap the rivets. The rivet gun was just about strong enough to snap the rivets although it took all my strength to push the handles together to snap the rivet. After i'd done a few i ended up using a G clamp to push the handles together which worked.
Dont know for sure whether the other side of the van roof would
be the same as the door side ie. solid behind it. But could well be. Maybe check with a metal detector/wire detector first.
Would certainly keep to the same area as the awning rail though. ie. just below the lower roof ridge.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Chris.
Back to top Go down

Fibre glass roof query
Page 1 of 1